Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Return of the SVO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Default Return of the SVO?

Hey guys check out this article I found:

The 1984-1986 Ford Mustang SVO always held itself in a spot near and dear to many enthusiasts hearts. It was small, light, rear wheel drive and also featured a 205 HP 2.3 Liter Turbocharged Inline 4 engine. The crazy thing about the Mustang SVO was that not only did it have the smallest engine of the Mustang lineup of the time, but it was also faster then its big brother Mustang GT with its 175 HP 5.0 Liter V8 engine.

With Ford’s recent penchant for turbocharging everything under its “Ecoboost” monkier, it has been long rumored, but never confirmed that a turbocharged engine would make its return under the hood of a Mustang.

That all changed as of last night.

According to Jalopnik.com’s Justin Hyde, last night at a Princeton University function, Ford chairman Bill Ford Jr. confirmed when asked that the Ecoboost line would appear under the hood of a Mustang.

Jalopnik.com followed up with Ford’s Public Relations department and they weren’t going to deny what Bill Ford Jr. said.

While Ford wouldn’t confirm exactly which engine the Ecoboosted Mustang would get, the likely bet is the 3.5 Liter Twin-Turbo V6, with the 2.0 Liter Turbocharged I4 playing second fiddle to it.
Here's the link to the blog I found it on.

What do you guys think? I'm personally pretty excited.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

My first car was a 85 SVO and I loved the chit out of that car. I cant wait to see it, but on the over side a Mustang with a IL 4 just doesnt sound right.

Matthew
Old 02-21-2011, 07:34 PM
PositiveKarma
1st Gear Member

Bring it on! Factory turbo?!
Old 02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Shotgun Love
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
My first car was a 85 SVO and I loved the chit out of that car. I cant wait to see it, but on the over side a Mustang with a IL 4 just doesnt sound right.

Matthew
Agreed- but it might also be the Twin Turbo V6 and slot between the GT and Base.

I do have a gut feeling that itll be the 2.0L Ecoboost to slot below the V6 with 250ish horsepower or so. Chevys brining out a small 4 cylinder in their Camaro so the two will probably compete.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:50 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shotgun Love
I do have a gut feeling that itll be the 2.0L Ecoboost to slot below the V6 with 250ish horsepower or so.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case, but it seems like the 4 cyl ecoboost would potentially be more costly than the V6. I'd worry that they'd have to raise the price of the V6 to slot it between the ecoboost and the V8. This could be interesting...
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

For mustangs, they better not dare put a 4banger in a 'Stang. If anything Ecoboost all the existing engines. Ecoboost the 3.7L TiVCT V6, and you will get easily 400+ crank BHP.
The 3.7L is already designed fro Ecoboost since it was on the drawing board (or CAD), the heads have tabs that can be converted into direct injection very easily with just an additional step in the factory head machining process. And with upgrade forged dished pistons and upgraded conrods, the very base Mustang (V6) would totally rip.

For the GT, the 5.0L Coyote is exactly the same as the 3.7L V6. The Coyote was designed from day one to one day mount Ecoboost including direct injection. Just like the 3.7L V6, put an additional machining step and upgraded conrods and dished forged pistons, 600 crank BHP easy time.

For the top trim, if GT500 will still be around, or if the Cobra name is revived, I bet Ford has a 5.4L version of the Coyote in the works.
Or if not a bored and stroked Coyote, the base 5.0L Coyote with even more boost for 700+ crank BHP is not impossible.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
For mustangs, they better not dare put a 4banger in a 'Stang. If anything Ecoboost all the existing engines. Ecoboost the 3.7L TiVCT V6, and you will get easily 400+ crank BHP.
The 3.7L is already designed fro Ecoboost since it was on the drawing board (or CAD), the heads have tabs that can be converted into direct injection very easily with just an additional step in the factory head machining process. And with upgrade forged dished pistons and upgraded conrods, the very base Mustang (V6) would totally rip.

For the GT, the 5.0L Coyote is exactly the same as the 3.7L V6. The Coyote was designed from day one to one day mount Ecoboost including direct injection. Just like the 3.7L V6, put an additional machining step and upgraded conrods and dished forged pistons, 600 crank BHP easy time.

For the top trim, if GT500 will still be around, or if the Cobra name is revived, I bet Ford has a 5.4L version of the Coyote in the works.
Or if not a bored and stroked Coyote, the base 5.0L Coyote with even more boost for 700+ crank BHP is not impossible.
You need to work for Ford. I like the way you think!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:00 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I wish I could, I would make damn sure a 4 banger never gets into the 'Stang.
I would gauranty the base trim will never be less than a V6 and that the GT trim will never be less than a V8.
The direct injection has been in development for some time and it would be a great power adder as well as a great CAFE enhancement (better noticable MPGs). Moreover, the direct injection would also allow for higher manifold PSI boost than non-direct injection. Its a win all around.

And if CAFE becomes even more of a bitch, I would push a new variable valve feature: variable lift. This to better add just a little bit more torque and power throughout the entire RPM bandwidth as well as to be able to vary such that fuel efficiency is improved too.

Now comes something of controversy: cylinder deactivation. These give maybe at most 15% MPG increase in GM vehicles, but the drawback is they also rob HP.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

I hope Ford isn't serious about a 4 bangers in a Mustang. I never cared for those 4 eyed SVO Mustangs. My firend had a SVO back in the day, seemed like it was always breaking down and expensive to fix.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 PM
MulletPoweredRocketShip

This is awesome news! I actually hope Ford ends up with a variety of turbo engines available for the Mustang. The Duratec I5 from the European Focus would make a great base model engine. It is available with between 240 and 345HP (and tons of torque) from the factory, which would allow Ford to offer a few more low-end engine options. Plus, they could offer an extended MyKey feature that could limit not only top speed, but engine power via boost. So, no worries about handing your kid the keys to the 'Stang, just dial the power down to 200HP or so.

I've been holding off on getting a new Mustang because I'm personally waiting for the 3.5L EcoBoost to show up. The SHO is *****-to-the-walls fast. Stuffing that engine in a Mustang would be silly; with a tune and exhaust the car would be fast enough to give your wife a brain aneurysm.

Who wouldn't want an 11 second bolt-on Mustang? I know I do.

Quick Reply: Return of the SVO?