Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZXBjVIrR08

Not that difficult to find
Old 12-20-2011, 03:11 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

wow...what a dumb ***. dumb in the first place for removing his governor without making the necessary upgrades to handle such speeds, and then even dumber for getting pissed at ford for not making their car able to handle past what they limited it to?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

That is f***ing awesome!

It reminds me of videos where you see people do dumb sh*t like put their head in a gator's mouth only to see the gator lock it's jaw.

Gee I wonder they put a sign out that electric fence that says danger don't touch. Oh well............. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Personally, I think the driveshaft should be able to handle the power the car makes. Despite the fact that he removed the governer, I would be livid if I was him. It's been said plenty of times on different forums, if Ford didn't intend for the V6 Mustang to be driven in a sporty manner, then they shouldn't advertise it in a commercial doing crazy burnouts and powerslides.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

I'm surprised he even made it to 135 before the failure.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:40 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

So what exactly needs to be upgraded to support those speeds? What's the difference between the V6 and GT?
Old 12-20-2011, 04:52 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kzonts
So what exactly needs to be upgraded to support those speeds? What's the difference between the V6 and GT?
Drivetrain is a little different, if you read about it closely you will notice that the u-joint caps come loose and cause the u-joints to come out of place.

Not entirely a "strength of materials" problem here, but instead how the driveshaft's supporting equipment was engineered.

Basically you need a new one-piece DS (shaftmasters is popular) with bigger retainer rings, and U-joint caps.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Idiot. There is a limiter for a reason. And to answer Kzonts question - he should have gotten a thicker DS (if they make one for the V6) or got a GT DS, and a DS safetly loop for the event a DS failure happens; like in this case.

Matthew
Old 12-20-2011, 05:04 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Personally, I think the driveshaft should be able to handle the power the car makes. Despite the fact that he removed the governer, I would be livid if I was him. It's been said plenty of times on different forums, if Ford didn't intend for the V6 Mustang to be driven in a sporty manner, then they shouldn't advertise it in a commercial doing crazy burnouts and powerslides.
Crazy burnouts and powerslides are not done at 110+ mph. Driving in a sporty manner does not require speeds that high.

It's not so much as the driveshaft doesn't handle the power as it is about the vehicle's speed. I doubt that vehicle needs 300 hp to reach the breaking point of that drivetrain part.

I cannot see how Ford is to blame for this.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
Drivetrain is a little different, if you read about it closely you will notice that the u-joint caps come loose and cause the u-joints to come out of place.

Not entirely a "strength of materials" problem here, but instead how the driveshaft's supporting equipment was engineered.

Basically you need a new one-piece DS (shaftmasters is popular) with bigger retainer rings, and U-joint caps.
Thanks for providing that info... I've had my car up to 110 (only once) but that's all I was brave enough to try since I've heard there was a limit, so I didn't push it.

Quick Reply: Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself