Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 04:48 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Strange I never hit it. I don't like going above 130 anyway because the car does wobble a bit. As far as the kid in the video the DS should have held up imo. The car has 300 hp, limiter or not v6's arent cheap these days either. Ford can afford to put a decent DS in it.
^ 100% agree with you.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM
jbadger

Originally Posted by kzonts
Somehow I feel SHAFTED! Literally. Where can one find the best price on an aluminum Shaftmasters? I just looked on their official we site and it's $474.99. I will never buy another V6 Mustang. My stupidity.
http://search.americanmuscle.com/sea...-mustangtuning

Thats cheaper than the $690 AmericanMuscle wants for theirs... Wonder which one is better.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Yes, there is, it's just set higher (145 mph on the GT if I recall correctly)
Strange I never hit it. I don't like going above 130 anyway because the car does wobble a bit. As far as the kid in the video the DS should have held up imo. The car has 300 hp, limiter or not v6's arent cheap these days either. Ford can afford to put a decent DS in it.
145 was where the limiter was set on mine, I hear conflicting stories on GT where it is either 145 or 155. I know gt500's are set at 155 (up through the 2012s) based on top speed event results.
My limiter has been raised to something stupid, so I'll never see it. Took the stock GT driveshaft up to 157.6 (on 3.55 gears/27" diameter tires) and the ride was smooth as butter... I won't be getting any higher than that in the standing mile without extensive work which will include replacing the transmission and drive shaft among other things.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:10 PM
69MustangCoupe393cid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Personally, I think the driveshaft should be able to handle the power the car makes. Despite the fact that he removed the governer, I would be livid if I was him. It's been said plenty of times on different forums, if Ford didn't intend for the V6 Mustang to be driven in a sporty manner, then they shouldn't advertise it in a commercial doing crazy burnouts and powerslides.
Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Everyone is being way too damn hard on this kid. Personally, I think the driveshaft should have held, but I hope he doesn't expect to get anything out of Ford for this. Governor disabled = warranty VOID. But honestly, who here has never pushed their car a bit more than they should once or twice? And if you haven't, why did you buy a Mustang?
Originally Posted by shark tales
SO are we saying a v6 almost 300hp car cant go beyond 130mph bc of the driveshaft is not built to handle that speed???? wtf that is terrible
I have to go with this stuff^

That driveshaft should not have done that. I'm a die hard Ford fan for life, never owned anything but. But I do miss the days when you get get in a Ford, beat the ever living **** out of it, and nothing would break. The days of overbuilding are gone. Not only for Ford, but for everyone. Look at the GTR, take the traction control off and the drivetrain promptly ejects itself from the car. What's the point in having a car like that if it can't handle it's own power?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

The kids dumb for not knowing that the drive shaft couldn't handle that but honestly I cant believe they would build it like that.

my stock 1995 bmw 5 series will go 140 on the highway without a hiccup.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 AM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by justinschmidt1
The kids dumb for not knowing that the drive shaft couldn't handle that

Not really. Who the hell buys a sports car, gets in it, drives it fast like it supposed to be driven and thinks to himself... Hmm I hope my DS doesn't explode outta the underneath of the car if I drive it fast. I can tell you my DS failing has never crossed my mind before I read this thread.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:17 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Not really. Who the hell buys a sports car, gets in it, drives it fast like it supposed to be driven and thinks to himself... Hmm I hope my DS doesn't explode outta the underneath of the car if I drive it fast. I can tell you my DS failing has never crossed my mind before I read this thread.
Exactly. Never thought of that either, and I'll bet a very high percentage of V6 Mustang owners were not aware of this. I'd be more worried about a tire blowing out than the DS exploding. I'm sure the dealers advertise the car as a "go fast" platform with 305hp. I own the 4.0 and still feel slighted because if I decide to boost the performance I have to practically rebuild the entire car. We all live and learn.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-22-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM
justinschmidt1
4th Gear Member

True, I guess your right. lol
Old 12-22-2011, 09:13 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

It's in mine now too..

I don't even wanna dyno/drag it for timeruns now, for fear I'm gonna grenade the poor thing.. Only 2 places on the track that I'd bump the limiter but I'm not looking forward to that now either.

Time for another 1k mod give or take..
Old 12-22-2011, 09:28 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Found this - Shaftmasters are breaking too??

http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...haft-failures/

Anyone make carbon ones for us yet??

Quick Reply: Idiot Removes Governor on V6 Mustang, Driveshaft Removes Itself