Mustang News, Concepts, Rumors & Discussion Did you see that Mustang?! Have you heard Ford's next move? Come inside.

2015 Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:53 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Well, what if puckering my butthole is fun?

Just disturbing that they are going to allow euro styling on a traditional american car is all.

Look at the corvette....its never been anything but a 2 seater sports car. The corvette has stayed pretty true to its original concept. Just wish we'd do that with the mustang.....
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

The original corvette was a 6 cylinder...
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ruskiegunlover
Look at the corvette....its never been anything but a 2 seater sports car. The corvette has stayed pretty true to its original concept. Just wish we'd do that with the mustang.....
True to it's original concept? Yeah, it still has 2 seats and 4 wheels, but you'd be hard pressed to see any tradition beyond that between the original Corvette and today's models:

So a Mustang is a failure, if it's not a slavish remake of a classic from nearly 50 years ago, but a Corvette is a success for maintaining concept, despite the fact each new 'vette generation is more modern than the last? I think you're defeating your own argument...

As far as I've heard, there's been no talk of ditching the 2+2 seating arrangement in the new 'stang, so tradition with be maintained to Corvette levels.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 07-17-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

I am saying stick to the original styleing cues from tghe original. I completely disagree.....the corvette has always been a 2 seater, and after the first 2 years, its always had a v8. AND, its always had rear wheel drive. Outside one year, its also always sold well enough to continue to be made by chevy. Ford every now and then decides to throw away what makes the mustang a MUSTANG and try to make the car a honda.....see: 1989 probe.

Of coarse the car is going to become more modern with new technology and materials. I get that, and you know that was not what I was going at. I am saying DON'T MAKE THE CAR AN ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE, OR FRONT WHEEL DRIVE HONDA JUST TO GET FOREIGN MARKETS. DON'T STYLE IT LIKE AN AUSTIN MARTIN. DON'T MAKE IT A EUROPEAN CAR. KEEP IT AN AMERICAN CAR. Maybe make an IRS an option thats actually AFFORDABLE for the average person. Heck, BRING BACK OPTIONS on the car.....make it a car to be built by YOU again......

Its likely too late anyway. 2 years out I am sure ford has already made the decision.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ruskiegunlover
I am saying stick to the original styleing cues from tghe original. I completely disagree.....the corvette has always been a 2 seater, and after the first 2 years, its always had a v8. AND, its always had rear wheel drive. Outside one year, its also always sold well enough to continue to be made by chevy. Ford every now and then decides to throw away what makes the mustang a MUSTANG and try to make the car a honda.....see: 1989 probe.

Of coarse the car is going to become more modern with new technology and materials. I get that, and you know that was not what I was going at. I am saying DON'T MAKE THE CAR AN ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE, OR FRONT WHEEL DRIVE HONDA JUST TO GET FOREIGN MARKETS. DON'T STYLE IT LIKE AN AUSTIN MARTIN. DON'T MAKE IT A EUROPEAN CAR. KEEP IT AN AMERICAN CAR. Maybe make an IRS an option thats actually AFFORDABLE for the average person. Heck, BRING BACK OPTIONS on the car.....make it a car to be built by YOU again......

Its likely too late anyway. 2 years out I am sure ford has already made the decision.
And what I'm saying is you seem to be mixing up a car format and it's styling cues. Corvette has kept just about zip from the styling of the first ten years of it's existence.

It's already known the next generation 'stang will add rear independent suspension, but keep the front engine/rear drive format. Test mules for the new axle have already been photographed in detail. Seating will stay 2+2. V8 power will be available. The platform basics will remain.

The real styling has yet to be revealed, none of these photo mashups have jack s**t to do with Ford's styling and engineering depts, but take a look at what Ford has unleashed in the last few years such as the monstrous new GT500 and the track-car-for-the-street Boss 302. Ford is not only respecting history and honoring it, they are laying down amazing new history.

Do you REALLY think that a company that's proving every day that they understand their market, and what pony fans really want is going to suddenly say "Hey, lets make the new Mustang a euro style front driver and see if we can alienate our entire customer base"?.

It just ain't happening. Take some deep breaths and brew yourself a nice soothing cup of chamomile tea. The new Mustang will be here soon enough, and it will still be a Mustang...
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 AM
BroncoTrooper

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
And what I'm saying is you seem to be mixing up a car format and it's styling cues. Corvette has kept just about zip from the styling of the first ten years of it's existence.

It's already known the next generation 'stang will add rear independent suspension, but keep the front engine/rear drive format. Test mules for the new axle have already been photographed in detail. Seating will stay 2+2. V8 power will be available. The platform basics will remain.

The real styling has yet to be revealed, none of these photo mashups have jack s**t to do with Ford's styling and engineering depts, but take a look at what Ford has unleashed in the last few years such as the monstrous new GT500 and the track-car-for-the-street Boss 302. Ford is not only respecting history and honoring it, they are laying down amazing new history.

Do you REALLY think that a company that's proving every day that they understand their market, and what pony fans really want is going to suddenly say "Hey, lets make the new Mustang a euro style front driver and see if we can alienate our entire customer base"?.

It just ain't happening. Take some deep breaths and brew yourself a nice soothing cup of chamomile tea. The new Mustang will be here soon enough, and it will still be a Mustang...
You mean to tell me the sky ISN'T falling?!

Great post!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

^i laughed audibly. this kid is freaking out like those people that think that CAFE will kill performance again.

@ruskie relax man. what ford is trying to do is make the mustang a little more successful world wide. and the reason that it's so popular around the world is BECAUSE of it's American characteristics. do you think is going to throw away what makes that car appealing over there? what ford will likely end up doing is using better quality materials inside, give the car IRS so it can handle better (switching to a live axle will likely not be a problem, im sure FRPP wil sell conversion kits in VERY short order after the launch.) and bump the mpg. this is likely to come through some weight reduction.

as far as it becoming "European" what i suspect they're going to do in terms of power plants, is offer a turbo 4.
ecoboost 4 + irs = new svo.
but AGAIN the v8 will remain. it's as you say, part of what makes the mustang a mustang. a v8 option has always existed. (yes the mustang is a v6 car with a V8 option) if anything the 5.0 will likely get direct injection, since the heads are already set up for it in the 2012+ cars.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:09 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Well, this kid isn't really freaking out. And I guess in the end, we'll all just have to wait and see won't we?

I know that outside the 64-73 mustangs, my favorite body style would be 79-93 (specifically 87-93), because of its boxy shape, and long hood short deck layout. It was pure mustang. The 94's went all jelly bean like, and I hated it. I know it sold well, I just didn't like it. I am just hoping for ford to stick with some traditional body cues.....
Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

It will be interesting to see what GM does with the Camaro, assuming they are still solvent. Then it will be even more interesting to see how each sell against the other, New Mustang and New Camaro.

If the Mustang has Euro-styling and does well, then good for Ford... if it falls flat, and we have another lost decade like the 70s, then I guess we have to wait another 35 years for the Mustang to regain it's glory.

I will gladly take the 2050 Mustang for a spin in my Depends and tell the salesman it's nice to have a real Mustang back. That is if it does not have wings and is rebranded as a Pegasus.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM
04goat
1st Gear Member

has anyone heard if ford is still planning the extended mustang for the mom's to drive to the store. and pick up the kids.

Quick Reply: 2015 Mustang?