Mustang Videos This forum is for video's pertaining to Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, Mustangs, and Off Topic.

Mustang making weird noise - please listen and help ( video )

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 08:40 AM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang making weird noise - please listen and help ( video )

2 days ago my car started making this weird humming/alien noise. I dont know how to really describe it so I took a video. It wont let me post an HTML - so I will just put the direct link.

Let me know what you think it could be or if you have ever heard that noise before?

http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m...weirdnoise.flv
Old 10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
whackbag
1st Gear Member

bad eletrical ground?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:20 AM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

Alternator whine?
Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 AM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

Are you guys asking me? Asking each other? or guessing?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:21 PM
fast65
5th Gear Member

Have you tried popping your hood while it's running to see where it's coming from. I second the alternator whine.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

it sounds like what is refered to as alternator noise in the stereo. This is commonly traced back to a bad ground but it can be either in the power section or the audio section. I assume it turns off with the radio? Does it go up and down with the volume(doesn't sound like it)
Old 10-13-2008, 03:17 PM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
it sounds like what is refered to as alternator noise in the stereo. This is commonly traced back to a bad ground but it can be either in the power section or the audio section. I assume it turns off with the radio? Does it go up and down with the volume(doesn't sound like it)

I wish I could tell you and I dont....what I mean is I went outside to try and it didnt make the noise.

So I dont know what is going on, I will have to test things when / if it does it again.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:27 AM
DJ19895.0
2nd Gear Member

Do you have an aftermarket amp? My truck would do this every once in a while. The sound was coming through the speakers, even if the volume was all the way down. The stereo did need to be on though. If it does it again, shut the radio off (I see your radio was on in the vid), and see if the sound stops. It may do it with a stock radio with no amp, I would guess it would be more likely with an aftermarket amp though.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

sounds like an intermitten problem then. is your radio still stock?

NExt time it happens try some technical taps to see if you can isolate the location of the noise. When the noise starts, find a solid part of the radio that you can tap your finger tips on a few times to see if the noise changes at all. If nothing happens then use your knuck and tap a little harder. If the noise still doesn't change then use your fist and hit it as hard as you can........ Ok, the fist part was obviously a joke but try tapping on the deck and if you have the mach system then try the same thing on the amps in the back. When/if you find that the noise changes when you tap on a certain piece of gear then you can try the next in our series of technical terms, "jiggling" the wire harnesses..........

I know it sounds like I am full of BS but try it out and you will be suprised. I learned these technical terms in my first freshman year of tech school and used them while I installed for almost 10 yrs. You would be suprised what you can troubleshoot like this.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
LinkTheWorld
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJ19895.0
Do you have an aftermarket amp? My truck would do this every once in a while. The sound was coming through the speakers, even if the volume was all the way down. The stereo did need to be on though. If it does it again, shut the radio off (I see your radio was on in the vid), and see if the sound stops. It may do it with a stock radio with no amp, I would guess it would be more likely with an aftermarket amp though.

You described the problem perfectly. I heard the noise this morning even when the stereo was turned down, but as 1 second after I turned it off the noise STOPPED.

So now that we know it has something to do with the stereo I would guess it has something to do with the ground wire or wiring of some type. So what should be my next step in figuring out how to fix it?

Quick Reply: Mustang making weird noise - please listen and help ( video )