New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Illinois Black 00 GT with 5 spd

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 02:09 AM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

Default New Illinois Black 00 GT with 5 spd

Hey whoever might read this. whats up, names dustin, i'm 17, got a Black 2000 Mustang GT coupe back in october of '03. has an almost brand new engine in it (since i blew a rod in the last one), the original engine had about 66k+ miles on it, and this new one has 27k+ on it, so thats not bad. it has 2 Flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber mufflers on it so it has a nice purr but could be better. I removed the air silencer to help out with that. It has a 5 spd in it and cloth seats (lighter than leather for those who are clueless). all the windows except for the windshield were tinted 50% (i think) but due to the law in IL, the passenger and drivers windows cannot be tinted so i had to remove that. but hopefully they will be re-tented, but just not as dark. the interior is black and charcoal grey, that plus the black paint will make the windows look dark anyway.
but enough about what it has, anyone got any ideas on some cheap mods (i am on a budget, i gotta save for college) that i can do to the car? if so hit me up. see ya - dustin
Old 05-04-2004, 03:22 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Illinois Black 00 GT with 5 spd

Where do you live in IL?

Cheap mods? Gears. (400-600 installed) K&N (100+-) Drag Radials (160/each)

I live in central MO, but am in central IL all the time as well.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:40 AM
MelloYello
4th Gear Member

Nice to have you here at MF Dustin Pot some pics of that beast for us...
Old 05-05-2004, 12:53 AM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

i'm in nashville, it's like 50 minutes straight east of st louis. i'll get pics of it up asap, i found some pics of it earlier tonight when the windows were still all tinted but they are on my computer and not this one so i'll get the transferred prolly if not tonight, tomorrow. - dustin
Old 05-05-2004, 02:35 AM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

Here's those pics!
Old 05-06-2004, 01:53 AM
brockstang
1st Gear Member

Kewl ride and welcome to the forums. The weight difference between the leather and cloth seats arent that much different. I know that the look of leather over cloth is worth it, and my *** doesnt get sweaty like on the cloth. If I could give you advice and a time machine, Id tell you to go back in time and get the leathers; then throw out the spare tire if yer really worried about that hundreth of a second at the end of the 1/4. Hell just pullin the silencer box off of yer filter will get you that hundreth
For a limited budget.....400 bucks gets you a chip....or flasher unit-Diablo sport Preditor or the Superchips power programmer III. Mad HP from chips, dont listen to NO ONE!!!! lol, screw that CAI BS. That nets you maybe 2 hp at higher speeds, you wont even notice the difference. Get underdrive pullies for sure, it frees up hp that was already there and allows you to spool up yer engine a bit faster-youll notice a decent amount of difference with that. Rear gears-with a 2000 GT you can go with 4.10s with the 5 speed. The fifth gear is so BIG that you can cruise at 85 mph and still only be at 2100 rpm. Youll notice a much BIGGER feeling in the seat of yer pants but on stock tires youll run the same times if not worse then before. You really nead better rear traction with em to notice a difference on yer time slips. Wheels play a huge part when it comes to racing, and the stock rims and tires blow. I have 4.10s and had stock tires and my time slips sucked because of wheel spin. GL on yer mods dude, its lotsa fun
Old 05-06-2004, 02:07 AM
dustinpolcz
2nd Gear Member

My buddies in st louis tell me to get pullies all the time. this summer i'm going to be getting some eibach springs but i have a small problem with it. i want some 18's (y2k cobra r's preferably) but okay, if i get 18's can i get the sportline springs that will lower the car 1.7 - 2.3 in? or should i get the pro springs witch are only like 1.5? i'm not sure at all on that bc i don't want my tires to rub you know? i was checking out a diablo chip the other day but those are pricey? how much power can one actually get using a diablo sport chip?
My last car was a 97 v6 stang, i added a mac cold air kit (the kind that goes into the fender), removed the back seat, got rid of ALL slack in the gas pedal using that nylon spacer trick, and took out the spare tire. dude that car still sucked! i'm so glad i got my gt.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:10 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brockstang

Kewl ride and welcome to the forums. The weight difference between the leather and cloth seats arent that much different. I know that the look of leather over cloth is worth it, and my *** doesnt get sweaty like on the cloth. If I could give you advice and a time machine, Id tell you to go back in time and get the leathers; then throw out the spare tire if yer really worried about that hundreth of a second at the end of the 1/4. Hell just pullin the silencer box off of yer filter will get you that hundreth
For a limited budget.....400 bucks gets you a chip....or flasher unit-Diablo sport Preditor or the Superchips power programmer III. Mad HP from chips, dont listen to NO ONE!!!! lol, screw that CAI BS. That nets you maybe 2 hp at higher speeds, you wont even notice the difference. Get underdrive pullies for sure, it frees up hp that was already there and allows you to spool up yer engine a bit faster-youll notice a decent amount of difference with that. Rear gears-with a 2000 GT you can go with 4.10s with the 5 speed. The fifth gear is so BIG that you can cruise at 85 mph and still only be at 2100 rpm. Youll notice a much BIGGER feeling in the seat of yer pants but on stock tires youll run the same times if not worse then before. You really nead better rear traction with em to notice a difference on yer time slips. Wheels play a huge part when it comes to racing, and the stock rims and tires blow. I have 4.10s and had stock tires and my time slips sucked because of wheel spin. GL on yer mods dude, its lotsa fun
Complete and utter bs. At 85 MPH the stock 3.27s were still WELL above 2100 RPM in fifth. 2100 RPM in fifth according to the gear calc website (and it has always been pretty accurate to me in the past) is 58 MPH. 85 is going to be around 3100 RPM, way to high for crusing (at least to me).

BTW on a stock car chips make almost no difference. The only spot i saw a noticable (if only barely) difference was right at the top of the RPM range, felt like it kept pulling a little longer. That and the rev limiter was removed (dont really like that acutally). Replacing the restrictive stock airfilter/box with a K&N will give you gains close to a chip, for alot less money (not that either gives a significant gain, but its a start).

Also I still dont recommend 4.10s in a 99+, but its up to you. Dont really feel like getting into this age old argument again.

Please dont post **** unless you know wtf your talking about, alot of people take what is said on forums as gold, and end up getting confused as hell, or wasting time and money on stuff that doesnt end up like they were told.

Gear Calc website: http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html
Tire diameter for the gear calc: http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobi...e_diameter.htm
Old 05-06-2004, 07:27 PM
brockstang
1st Gear Member

Whoops, that 2 was supposed to be a 3. Shoulda proof read before loggin. Anyways....was meant to say 3100 at 85 mph. To me, thats not bad. When I cruise its usually about 70 mph and thats about 2400-2500. Keeps me droanin and sounds nice. I think 3.73s would have been pretty nice but Im glad I got the 4.10s. A tad bit more of a spool up at the cost of top end. I know wtf Im talking about because I have personally put all my mods on my ride so [:-] . These forums are to allow people to learn and others to voice their opinions so whether someone thinks info is right or wrong is up to them. The programmer that I used made a huge difference, and the diablo sport chip that I put into my friends ride, made a huge difference. The stupid add for them said something rediculous like +77hp/+120ftlbtq. I later found out that its like 17hp/22ftlbtq. Which I can tell is pretty much true because the ****** pulls pretty hard now. Maybe on models prior to 2003, not sure about this, the effect isnt that much. I dunno.

As for lowering spings, Id go with the 1.5s because of the 18s you want. I recently put 18s on my ride, looks tight....but Im rubbing when turning all the way. I have really wide tires now and the 17s with tires measured 26.1. The 18s with a 275/35 series on it measured at 27.4. Thats got meh rubbin. Ford dealerships have boot limiters that you just clip on under the boot behind yer wheels. Have them do it if you cant figure it out. Its pretty easy once ya see it. GL
Old 05-07-2004, 02:59 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brockstang

Whoops, that 2 was supposed to be a 3. Shoulda proof read before loggin. Anyways....was meant to say 3100 at 85 mph. To me, thats not bad. When I cruise its usually about 70 mph and thats about 2400-2500. Keeps me droanin and sounds nice. I think 3.73s would have been pretty nice but Im glad I got the 4.10s. A tad bit more of a spool up at the cost of top end. I know wtf Im talking about because I have personally put all my mods on my ride so [:-] . These forums are to allow people to learn and others to voice their opinions so whether someone thinks info is right or wrong is up to them. The programmer that I used made a huge difference, and the diablo sport chip that I put into my friends ride, made a huge difference. The stupid add for them said something rediculous like +77hp/+120ftlbtq. I later found out that its like 17hp/22ftlbtq. Which I can tell is pretty much true because the ****** pulls pretty hard now. Maybe on models prior to 2003, not sure about this, the effect isnt that much. I dunno.

As for lowering spings, Id go with the 1.5s because of the 18s you want. I recently put 18s on my ride, looks tight....but Im rubbing when turning all the way. I have really wide tires now and the 17s with tires measured 26.1. The 18s with a 275/35 series on it measured at 27.4. Thats got meh rubbin. Ford dealerships have boot limiters that you just clip on under the boot behind yer wheels. Have them do it if you cant figure it out. Its pretty easy once ya see it. GL
If you think your diablo chip added 17hp/22ftlbtq to a all stock car you are insane. I dont expect my upcoming custom tune, even with everything I have added, to get anywhere close to that. Hell the only reason im even bothering with it is to double check the a/f ratios, and get a dyno number.

Add in the fact that almost every HP number that is quoted is from a dyno, and thus is RW numbers, and its really out of the ballpark. I honestly wouldnt even expect a 8-10 RWHP gain out of a diablo (or any) chip on a stock engine.

Voiceing opinions is one thing, posting incorrect information that is being presented as fact is another.

Quick Reply: New Illinois Black 00 GT with 5 spd