New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New here

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:31 PM
glahti

Default New here

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I just bought a project car to rebuild and was looking for a good board to get advice on. This one seemed about the best.

Me: I'm 21, and in college. I know enough about cars to be dangerous. I work at a major automotive parts store so I get great prices on stock replacement parts, and sometimes a decent discount on aftermarket stuff.

The car: 1981 Mustang GT. I bought it from a coworker for $700. It runs and drives, stopping is another story. He is much more experienced with cars than I, and he took decent care of it. Unfortunatly he used it as an every day driver while he was in school... in the winter... in Minnesota. For those of you from up here, you know how bad that was for it. She's a bit (cough) rusty underneath. He rebuilt the motor 20k ago because it was knocking, new larger cam, honed the crank, reconditioned the rods, .030 on the cylinders. Unfortunatly when it was all said and done, it still knocks. I found the forward rocker on the number 1 cylinder was striking the tin baffle in the valve covers. I fixed that, but the knock continues. I think the lifter may have collapsed because of the rocker striking the baffle for 20,000 miles. I don't know if it is that for sure though. Motor has 131k on it total. The interior needs work, new carpet, dash cover, so on. The car has T-tops and the '79 Ford rally rims on it that were an option on the '82s. Besides the cam and tires (cooper cobra GT's that need to be replaced badly) it's all stock. Black exterior, red interior. Oh, and at the moment the insturment panel, spedo and tach don't work. Not sure why. Makes highway driving interesting though.

So any advice I can get would be great, I'll try to get a pic of it uploaded in the future. I'm currently mulling over getting a new block for it. My plan is to restore the body and interior, and aim for about 300hp (full exhaust, cylinder heads, intake, 4bbl carb). Because of the knock I am mulling over getting a new block for it. Through work I can get a short block for about $950. I don't have much money to put into the car though, edumacatin is spensive these days.

Thanks for all the help!

-glahti
Old 09-07-2006, 03:41 PM
03truebluegt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New here

Welcome to the site and I'm sure you will be able to find answers to almost all of your questions in the Tech section specific to your year car
Old 09-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Grape Soda
I ♥ Acer

hey welcome
Old 09-07-2006, 11:38 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Welcome!

If you do come across any problems, the tech sections are really good for finding the info you need.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:47 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums...