New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Stangless noob

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 01:55 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

Default Stangless noob

Hello Mustang people! My name is Tom and I drive a 2002 Chevy Camaro Z28. I've never had a Stang but I've always been fascinated with the '87-'93 5.0's. A friend of mine had one in HS and the first time he took me for a ride I put it on my short list of cars to have before I die. It would be my car of choice to build a bang-for-the-buck strip terror; I like the LS1 but $$$$$.
This is the first national Mustang board I've registered on. Hopefully someday I'll drop the "Stangless" adjective but for now it's always interesting to check out the other side of the fence. I've read the post intended for imports and I understand that this is a Mustang site; hopefully if the subject of fbodies ever arises I'll be able to have some intelligent input. Thanks for letting me on here.
Tom
Old 07-26-2004, 02:34 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Stangless noob

F Body conversations are ALWAYS a topic here. Get with 98LS1, he is the resident LS1 know-it-all. Welcome to the club and maybe after you have been here a month or so you will go out and buy you a REAL car! LOL J/K. Im sure you will like it here. This is my second home!
Old 07-26-2004, 03:05 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the welcome jdaniel and I just mest 98LS1 in the street/strip forum. As for getting a real car, that may be a while while I pay off this fbody. My dad is looking for a project car for us to work on and IMO an '87-'93 5.0 would be perfect because of the availability for cars AND parts, responsiveness to mods, strong bottom end, forged internals (on certain years, I forget which) and low curb weight. He thinks they're OK but he is a die-hard GM guy and wants a 2nd or 3rd gen fbody. Maybe I can try to change his mind but probably not. Oh well, I met a guy who picked up an '88 GT vert for <$1000 'cause the seller thought it was seriously damaged mechanically but it turned out to be something minor and cheap so maybe there is some hope.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:31 PM
StangMang
5th Gear Member

welcome to the boards Tommy...you will find alot of useful info about foxes here...
Old 07-26-2004, 03:45 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

Thank you StangMang.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:06 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

welcome. why not mod up the ls1?
Old 07-26-2004, 09:47 PM
TommyV8
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

I will be making payments on it for four years; I wish I could afford to mod it. If I ever have some extra cash and I get the mod bug I will try to resist and use the cash to pay the car off quicker, saving me some interest. Also, there seem to be reliability issues when the modding begins and it is my only car. I may do a couple little things just to get into the 12's; I need drag radials very badly for one thing, and maybe gears. 2.73's don't feel very tough.
Like I said before, mod money goes a long way on a fox 5.0 so I just might try to eventually get one of those.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

At least you're not another SRT-4 owner here to show us all the light...

Welcome.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:29 PM
T_stang
4th Gear Member

Hay there Welcome enjoy :-)
Old 08-02-2004, 07:07 PM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TommyV8

ORIGINAL: nomocobra

I will be making payments on it for four years; I wish I could afford to mod it. If I ever have some extra cash and I get the mod bug I will try to resist and use the cash to pay the car off quicker, saving me some interest. Also, there seem to be reliability issues when the modding begins and it is my only car. I may do a couple little things just to get into the 12's; I need drag radials very badly for one thing, and maybe gears. 2.73's don't feel very tough.
Like I said before, mod money goes a long way on a fox 5.0 so I just might try to eventually get one of those.
c
talk to 98ls1 about reliability probs with mods. i think his has over 90k on the clock and he is doing lots of stuff to it.

Quick Reply: Stangless noob