New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member with a lot of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Turbo92Eclipse

Default New member with a lot of questions...

Hey yall, me and a friend are getting into a pretty serious project and there's some things I need to know. I would appreciate positive feedback only please.

As you can tell I'm a big DSM fan but I pretty much like anything that is tasteful and fast.

Anyways, here's the project. We have a 351w engine and a C4 transmission and a few different Ford rear ends to choose from. We was orginally planing on building up a Fox body up but there is so many of them around. So I think we are going to go for either a CRX or a 240sx. Anyways, I need to know what all stock parts we can use from junk cars. Like the radiator, ignition system, and ECU. If you think that this isn't a good idea then please don't respond.

And just so you know his Dad is a master fabricator so that's no big deal.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:10 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New member with a lot of questions...

you can use just about anything off a junk car as long as it ain't broke! you have to know what you're looking for however so you don't buy something that is already wore out and useless. you will have some real fabrication issues trying to shoe horn a 351 and C4 tranny into either of those cars, but if that's what you are determined to do, then I say go for it. I hope his Dad doesn't rebel at the idea though. here's a website for used parts
www.stangparts.com in Winder,Ga they specialize in Mustang parts of all years and makes.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:48 PM
bacon
3rd Gear Member

well you came to the right place welcome to the forum
Old 08-23-2004, 11:27 PM
Turbo92Eclipse

Thanks yall. So could I use an ECU and ignition system off any v8 mustang? I'm new to Ford's so please be patient with me. lol
Old 08-24-2004, 08:44 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

dont get me wrong....i like crx's and i LOVE 240's, especially with an sr20det conversion, but, why u gonna degrade a v8 by puttin it into a car MADE FOR A 4-CYL. i mean, seriously ?? WHY ??? yeah, crazy acceleration and g-forces, but, c'mon...youll be snapping axles like nothing..........MAYBE. i mean, yeah, they did the 5.0 Focus, but at least its a Ford. i guess i just dont see the point of wasting a perfectly good, FAST, motor by putting it into something "slow". yeah yeah i know imports can be made fast, but just do an h22 w/ a turbo or a built gsr/ls with a turbo or even a supercharger into the crx or a built sr20 with a BIG *** turbo in the 240. but, NOT a v8. pushrod(5.0) or not(4.6) !!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Turbo92Eclipse

Like I said before, I only want postive feedback. So in another words, I don't really care if you think it's a good idea or not. We was going to put a 91 GSX engine and drivetrain into a CRX. Then we thought about buying a Fox body for the 351 but we wanted to do something different

But we decided that we would like to put some of these Ford parts and 240 shell that are laying around to use. I came here to get help and learn about Mustangs, that's it. Have a nice day.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:49 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

sorry. you aint gotta get all pissy about it. i wasnt being mean. i wasnt tryin to be. in all honesty, good luck with the "project". let us know how it goes. but, youll be doing more fabricating than anything, but, you said you got the hook up for that, so, good luck.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:44 AM
302240Z
1st Gear Member

Just a suggestion. Get a good R200 LSD and put into the SX. It will hold up to what the SBF can give it. they are pretty strong diffys and should bolt in. I've got one in my 240Z.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 AM
302240Z
1st Gear Member

Sorry, forgot...get a griffin rad, and a taurus 2 speed electric fan and shroud. The heat under the hood will cook ya, along with yer engine and tranny. Hang an engine oil cooler and tranny cooler in front of the rad. Also, get a set of those 4" mini fans and mount them in the rear part of your fender wells. You got to get rid of the heat! A cowl induction hood scoop is good also. You might try the block hugger headers, although they might need a little fabbing. I used stock exhaust headers, which ment I didn't have to cut my steerinig shaft. Engine and tranny mounts are easy to fab up. The most importent item is your driveshaft. Be very careful of the total angle. Keep them under 3 degrees. The lesser the better. Otherwise, you are going to have a vibration that won't quit. Also, put a chevy trans mount on top of the diffy. That way it will keep the diffy from smacking your undercarriage.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:18 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

AND, i didnt mean to start any **** on here. so, if you got harsh feelings towards me now, fine w/ me. but, i just want to apologize for criticizing. so, good luck. peace.

Quick Reply: New member with a lot of questions...