New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member..UPDATED! NEW PICS!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:46 PM
astaticwinter

Default New member..UPDATED! NEW PICS!!

Hey everyone...new member here. I've been lurking for a few weeks, figured I'd come in and introduce myself.

I headed to a dealer today to check out my first Mustang, an '02 Mustang GT Deluxe in silver, 40K on the odo, $14K on the sticker. I'll be trading in my 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS for it.

They're giving me the Mustang for $1500 after the trade -in and taxes and whatnot. I think it's a pretty solid deal, considering I don't have to go through all the trouble of selling it myself, and I don't think I could get much more for it privatly. It seems almost too good to be true..

any thoughts? It seems like a steal. The car is spotless...few vinyls on it I'd have to remove, and it has a Magnaflow catback and some cold air intake on it already which I wasn't too happy about, but considering the price, and the fact that I'll be replacing both the exhaust and intake anyway, it's not a huge deal.

I haven't test driven it yet, but it fired up great and there doesn't appear to be anything mechanicially wrong with the car at all...the exterior and interior are SPOTLESS. Anything I should look out for, or pay special attention to during the test drive? It's a 5-speed, so 'll keep an eye on the clutch obviously.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:15 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Member...new mustang?

Welcome to the forums! Have you figured out how much is the blue book value? That would be a start point. There was a thread here about things to look for when buying an used car...recommend you use the search tool to find it. Think I saw it about two weeks ago...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:32 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!
Old 01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM
gtrichyo6
2nd Gear Member

Welcome
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM
astaticwinter

Thanks for the welcomes guys.

Myself and my father, who happens to be a mechanic and dealer, are heading down there tomorrow to get another look, and we're going to base the decision off a mechanicial inspection and see if they'll let us bring the car to my dad's shop, throw it on the lift, and take a look at it. Most of the cars we've bought from dealers we've done this too, and good dealerships don't have a problem with it, it seems. So I guess we'll take it from there.

Lot of mechanics and motorheads in the family, I basicially grew up in a shop, so I know what to look for when test driving or under the hood and whatnot. Was just wondering if there were any specific problems I should pay attention to, like any issues or problems common with the 4.6L Mustangs and whatnot.

Thanks again guys.

-TJ
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Good luck on your purchase and welcome...
Old 01-07-2007, 12:30 AM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Welcome. In my experience, if a dealer won't let you have the car checked out at another shop, you should walk away from the ride as fast as your legs can carry you.... As for the deal, run each car's options/mileage at www.kbb.com to figure out what each is worth. Hope you have fun with your 'stang!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 AM
astaticwinter

Yeah, if they didn't let us, I was going to walk....but they were fine with it. The dealership is about 20 miles from my house, and about 22 from my Dad's shop...but I asked them, and they said they'll usually only let that happen if the shop was withing 4-5 miles, but we asked the owner and he was absolutly fine with it...and that was really comforting that he'd allow his vehicle to be driven pretty far just for us to inspect it.

So we're shooting back up there Monday morning, bringing the car to the shop, and giving it a full inspection, so hopefully if everything works out, it'll be mine on Monday evening.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:28 AM
astaticwinter

Little bump, and good news guys...I brought her home tonight!!

2002 Mustang GT 5spd. Silver. 5sp. Happy.

Gonna take a while to get used to everything, I'm coming from a Toyota Matrix XRS....spongey, long clutch, 180hp...130tq...garbage tranny, 6sp...Mustang gives me a real clutch, solid shifts, 5 speed, RWD and some ***** under the hood...couldn't be happier.

Needs a little work...nicer set of pedals, a new shift ****, floormats, some vinyls removed, some other little things, but all in all, it's damn near perfect.

Shot some pics too for you guys...hope you like them.