New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Leaving import for domestic, please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 03:16 PM

Default RE: Leaving import for domestic, please help

A 97 GSR has 132 ft lbs torque... if you expected tons of torque out of a 4 banger then you must be crazy in the noggins. [8D]

That isn't half bad for a 1.8L that was built with PEAK HORSEPOWER IN MIND. So you blew the radiator and you're done with the car completely? How exactly does the radiator just blow up anyway? You sure a hose just didn't come off? [8D][8D] You get sick of things quick... I don't think a Mustang is your best bet if you want things to last forever (sorry guys, but it's true)

but thats cool you want a stang. I say go for it, make yourself happy. I don't think you'll find a stang and a crate motor for 7500 though.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:07 PM
97 GSR

The integra gsr makes 127 torque, the normal non vtec makes 132... You really have to drive to understand, it has two powerbands. A crappy daily driven powerband, and a kick *** racing powerband above 5500 rpm... As for the radiator, the top blew and it came spewing out. It is a common problem with integras... apparently the person that designed it thought plastic was suitable for the top of the radiator... And no, I did not expect to make a ton of torque with a four banger... But VTEC is a completely different engine than what is normal... the powerband is what I have a problem with, you truly have to drive to understand... Oh, and for you saying I get tired of things quick, I have had the car over a year now. Why the hell am I talkin' to an import guy about domestics?!?!?!
Old 12-04-2004, 04:14 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Si's actually one of the 2 COOL import people on here. he drives an Si, but his hearts in the right place, so, id listen to him. he knows his Honda sh*t.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:18 PM
83GT306
1st Gear Member

Hey 97GSR...I'm a newbie here too, but not to working on cars. lol. Thought I might add some here.
Do you work on your own cars or engines? If so, I was going to suggest one of those 331 or 347 kits for the foxbody car. If you're staying with fuel injection, you'll probably need to upgrade the fuel pump in the tank, some bigger injectors, an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and maybe a custom computer chip to be able to utilize all the power from a 331 or 347 engine.
If that's not a feasible route to take, the 5.0 crate motor is an excellent idea, and can be run with the stock computer chip. With some minor upgrades to fuel delivery, you could hook up some nitrous for a good power shot whenever you need it. Just be sure and get a 5-speed car, you'll probably be alot happier with the performance feel of the car.
Damn, I love my 5-speed. Good luck! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 12-04-2004, 04:19 PM

Actually the non vtec b18bs in those year Integras make 127 ft lbs... you make more than that, but again it's built for peak horsepower, not torque. Out of the year i've had my Si i have driven GSRs, S2000s and the such. I wanted the GSR but I got my Si, so I have driven one. You shouldn't expect the car to have a badass bottom end, it's not built for that. However with my 111 ft lbs at 7000 rpm I can drive the car all day revving to only 5000 rpm with plenty of kick in the pants to get me up and going. If you haven't gotten used to it yet, then you probably never will.

Soo.. like I said by all means do what makes you happy, but you're not talking to just an import guy. You're talking to an all around automotive enthusiast who, by the way, is not trying to antogonize you for doing what makes you happy.

Oh and technically you're not talking to me about the mustang, you were talking to me about the Integra.

The radiator should be all aluminum, which means it shouldn't have blown out like that with proper maintenance, whoever owned it before you didn't do a good job making sure maintenance was performed apparently. I don't know, I've never heard of GSRs blowing their radiators but I don't go to Hondatech all that much.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:38 PM
97 GSR

Had I known vtec had worse bottom end than non vtec I would not have gotten it and would not be here now... I don't expect my car to have tons of torque down low, just have the powerband down low... I mean my has such a bad low end powerband due to the valve timing it feels like it is gonna bog out, I hate it. Yeah, its badass when I am in vtec but I basically have to redline every damn gear to get there... I cant imagine how bad your b16 must be about this problem[X(]
Old 12-05-2004, 01:30 AM

It's not bad at all. I don't see why you need to have the power to peel out everytime you get up and go from a light anyway. I have no problems driving sub-5000 rpm.

Old 12-05-2004, 02:04 AM
_IZoCk_
1st Gear Member

find your way into an auto auction and you can get yourself a nice fox or an sn95 like mine (95GT) for nice and cheap. Good luck
Old 12-05-2004, 02:06 AM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

welcome to the forums, hope it turns out for ya
Old 12-05-2004, 07:59 PM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

hi imports suck

[IMG]local://upfiles/10419/227E453C4B964283ACEF790454D890D3.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Leaving import for domestic, please help