New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

newb... sorta

Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 PM
metallica895
1st Gear Member

Default newb... sorta

hi, ive been a member of this forum off and on for a little over two years. im 20 yrs old and the only 2 cars ive owned have been mustangs. the car i currently own ive had for just over a year and it has done nothing but give me problems. it started its life as a 97gt. When i went to first purchase the car (the vortech supercharger, hotchkis suspension, and bear brakes lured me in) i was so excited about upgrading from my v6 i hardly inspected the car and i payed for it. not much more than 10 miles down the road the engine blew! i did manage to get the previous owner to replace the engine, but it was at the shop of his choice. after everything was replaced and the car was working again the guy came out and said that this would be the third engine the car had which i had no idea before i bought it. it took no longer than a month before that bottom end blew as well. it turns out the guy installing the engines didnt seal up the heads right and oil was leaking out which caused me to turn a bearing. at that point i really didnt know what to do so i went and talked to the guys at chicane sport tuning. at that point i was so so far into the car i felt i had no choice but to replace the engine yet again. i decided to go with a 99 engine instead of the 97 though. since then the engine has been great but everything else has been less than sufficient. the lights dont work unless i hold the switch down, the 02 sensors need to be replaced(all 4), first gear went out on the car(i now start off from 2nd), i got in a accident and bent the right rear wheel, the car still has the 97 computer and needs to be tuned to work with the 99 engine, and the list goes on. im finally starting to get back on track financially and am wondering what i should do with the car. im in pretty deep with the loan for the car and i know if i sell it i wont get nearly enough to cover it. i have no idea what to do and i was hoping maybe someone here has gone through something like this and could help me out.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:48 PM
metallica895
1st Gear Member

Default RE: newb... sorta

heres a pic of the car, yes i know the wing is ugly but i havent had a chance to change it yet

[IMG]local://upfiles/7999/2F4C75481FF5490EBC2AE51DCB445926.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2007, 10:18 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

No such a thing is an ugly stang!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:27 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TPony

No such a thing is an ugly stang!
Oh contrare Sir, I have seen some pretty ugly stangs. But our new friend does not have anything close to one of them! LOL! Welcome to the board metallica. You do have a dilema. You can do one of two things. Weigh the difference between what it would cost to replace the engine, fix or replace the wheel you bent, and do whatever else the car needs done to make it reliable. This cost compared to what it would take you to pay it off after you sold it is what you need to look at. If you are driven by financial reasons, take the cheaper route of the two. If on the other hand, you really like the car and refuse to give up on her, keep it and do whatever has to be done. Sooner or later you will have a reliable car, you will have to if you keep replacing parts. Dont feel too bad, most of us put more in our cars then they are worth. I have over 9k invested in mine, and I could never sell it and get my money back, but I knew that to start with. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:46 PM
metallica895
1st Gear Member

thanks guys, i just want someone elses perspective on the matter cause i know my judgement can be a little clouded when it comes to cars. on one hand i feel like the car is a bad omen cause every time i fix something, something else goes wrong. but at the same time i knowonce everything is fixed the car has alot of potential to be a great car. if i can ever get it to that point.