New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newest and maybe the youngest member has some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:11 AM
15yrolddaydreaming

Default Newest and maybe the youngest member has some questions

Well to start things off, let me apoligize in advance for posting in the wrong section because well i have so many questions and I'm sure some if not all of them belong in a different section of the forum.

Well like my name says i'm only 15 years old i'll be driving in a few months so i figured i would start to do some background research on mu first car. After watching the speed channel for 48 hours straight i could feel my dad's car enthusiasm flowing through my veins and watching "pinks" i noticed all of these sweet fords lifting the front wheels off of the ground and hauling some ***. I've looked at alot of the older fords before and when all of my friends where drooling over all of these silly imports and concept cars i was looking at '67 mustang fastbacks and old chargers. So after a few hours of going back and fourth between Jeg's.com and other aftermarket part stores that the speed channel has pumped into my brain over the last few hours and autotrader.com i have come to the concensess that a v8 mustang between the '85-'92 is probably the cheapest starter mustang with tons and tons of room to upgrade and push out some serious horse power down the road.

Well now that i'm done with that rambling and maybe a little introducing myself here are a few of my questions. [ul][*]Looking at mostly '86-'92 v8s, should i be concidering anything else? (pricerange capped at about 6gs)[*]What are the first upgrades i should look at when(if) i do get one of these mustangs?[*]Supercharger/turbo/nos, what are they? are they all compatible with one another?[*]Roll cages, how do i get one installed? do they have to be custom made?[/ul]
I will be using this car to get from school and back and various other little trips, and i'd like to be able to take it out to the track now and then and have some fun.

I'm guessing there are other sites, besides this one that offer tons of ifformation so please link them.

-Derek

Edit: My uncle is a car enthusiest and recently restored a '70s pickup so i will be using his help and his garage to install all upgrades and do all regular maintenance myself.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:57 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newest and maybe the youngest member has some questions

well, welcome derek. you may be the youngest member on the site.

anyways, my first suggestion is don't go mod crazy with your car for a while. do it bit by bit. the fox body mustangs are excellent cars and i've heard quite a bit can be done with them. you might want to check out the 5.0 section, they can definitely help you out there. now i'm no sure about car condition for 6g's but you may need a paint job and hopefully the interior is in good condition. personally, i'm a fan of the black fox bodies. if the car is going to be a daily driver, i don't think you'd want a roll cage, it'd just kinda get in the way.

when i had enough money, i went mod crazy and got everything done on my car with in 2 months...big mistake. first thing i did was tint my windows, then did the axleback. i didn't enjoy that for more than a month when i got my Cold Air Intake, reffered to as CAI on the site. now, if you're getting the 5.0, first thing you're gonna want is a nice rumble and change exhaust. but check out the 5.0 section, they'll be more specific into what you want to do.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:07 AM
15yrolddaydreaming

Yeah, i've been lurking around there all day i just don't want to go in and start asking tons of questions that could end up being useless if i can't get my hands on a 'stang.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

that is true. what i did when i got mine, i just lurked and ready and asked a few clarification questions at first.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:14 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the forums. Fox bodies are a great platform to start with, stock their not all that quick which is good for just starting out but once you start modding them almost anything is possible. their also very easy to find, not too expensive, and very easy to work on.

What are the first upgrades i should look at when(if) i do get one of these mustangs?

I would start out with the normal bolt ons, intake, exhaust, headers, gears, ect.

Supercharger/turbo/nos, what are they? are they all compatible with one another?

superchargers and turbo do basicly the same thing, they compress air and force it into the engine. But the way they operate are very different. Superchargers use a belt driven off the crank to compress the air and a turbo uses exhaust gasses. Nitrous is completley different it basicly adds a lot more oxygen to the cumbustion chamer and at a much lower temperature which allows you to add more fuel which=more power. As for the cage you probably wont be needing one for a long time but they do have kits already built that just need to be welded in. Good luck
Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
15yrolddaydreaming

Thanks to everyone that helped answer my questions. My stepdad has been pushing trucks and lifted trucks on me forever but i've been argueing for an older 'stang for various reasons, gas mileage now being one of them. But i was wondering if anyone around the age of 20 or younger the better could give me an idea of what i'm going to pay for insurance.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:23 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Welcome. Being in Phoniex, you will be paying for insurance based on population density, and your age. If you get Liability Only, it wont be that much. When you start looking at comp, theft, etc, it goes up drastically for your age bracket. I have to agree with everything 91 said, however, not to offend you, but I would stay away from the power adders for while(nitrous, turbo, s/c). Get to know the car, learn the feel of it, get to be a good driver. I have daughter that just got her permit, driving a LT1 F-body. So, I get to preach! Anyway, the foxes are great cars, both for beginners and seasoned drivers. Learn about, and do your own mods, nothing like being able to wrench on your own car. When you get proficient with your car, upgrade and do more. Just get ready, you will be involved in a sickness for more HP and torque, that could drive you for the rest of your life................
Old 07-13-2007, 10:41 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome..i know theirs a 13 year old on here..