New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New member, new Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 07:26 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Default RE: New member, new Mustang!

ORIGINAL: carn114

^Looked at your 68, and I like it alot! That's kind of the look I was hoping for with mine, but I don't think the new body style is as suited for chrome trim. It looks natural and clean with just the black. I think I'll stick with the stock look, add the black chrome Bullits I first mentioned. I do want to lower it, but just a bit. I don't want it to have a dropped look, just something that looks like it holds the road well (and actually does).

Here are my priorities:

1)Looks (inside and out)
2)Accelleration
3)Handling (i.e. cornering)
4)Sound (engine, not stereo)

So, I'll get the wheels, and then start looking at what it would take to lower it, and how much it should be lowered. From there, I really think the CAI is the way to go. I only have the V6, so I'm not looking for a super-car. But performance is still important to me, so I think I'll try to find something in the neighborhood of $300 for the intake.

Again, thanks a ton for the suggestions!
Thanks for the compliments on my car, its a never-ending project.

Looks: Pretty sure we have the exterior covered, but what were you looking to do interior wise?
Acceleration: CAI should help a bit, could try a throttle body spacer (not sure if they're worth it), full exhaust, gearing, good tires.
Handling: Well for lowering I wouldnt go more than an inch, it will look better and should help with handling (coil-overs if you can swing it).
Sound: Goes back to full exhaust, headers help the flow and sound tremendously, (found that out on the 302) just find a sound/brand you like.

I don't know if you've ruled it out, but you can always go with forced induction. Rygenstomlocke has a turbocharged 4.0 that runs in the high 10s in the 1/4. Here is an article on the car http://www.stangnet.com/Ford-Mustang...0s-070728.html
Old 08-19-2007, 01:39 PM
carn114

Looks: Pretty sure we have the exterior covered, but what were you looking to do interior wise?
Interior, not much either. I'd like to get the leather covers on the steering wheels and stick, and maybe some seat covers. Just to make it feel a bit sportier inside. Also, when I said 'inside' I was thinking engine too. There's alot of black plastic there now, and I'd like to make it look shinier. The CAI and headers will help alot with this, I think.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Interior, not much either. I'd like to get the leather covers on the steering wheels and stick, and maybe some seat covers. Just to make it feel a bit sportier inside. Also, when I said 'inside' I was thinking engine too. There's alot of black plastic there now, and I'd like to make it look shinier. The CAI and headers will help alot with this, I think.
Seat covers should give those stockers a sportier feel like you said, and as for the steering wheel and stick just make sure its something you like. As for improving the looks of your engine bay, the headers and cai will help a lot, as for the plastic covers, may I suggest possibly pulling them off and scuffing 'em then paint em with a glossy black or any other color you might want. If you have any other color accents on the car, or any places you want to add some color you could match those, say if the seat covers, steering wheel and stick covers have a colored accent to them, tie it all in. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif]To the Forum. Nice to have you aboard!!!!
Great looking Mustang.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 PM
carn114

Thanks again for all the welcomes!

as for the plastic covers, may I suggest possibly pulling them off and scuffing 'em then paint em with a glossy black or any other color you might want. If you have any other color accents on the car, or any places you want to add some color you could match those, say if the seat covers, steering wheel and stick covers have a colored accent to them, tie it all in. Just a thought.
That is a great thought. I shall look into it. I like red in an engine bay, so I might accent it with that. Maybe also some bright red brakes that will show through the rims. I like red for the mechanical parts, but a little bit goes along way.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 PM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Thanks again for all the welcomes!

as for the plastic covers, may I suggest possibly pulling them off and scuffing 'em then paint em with a glossy black or any other color you might want. If you have any other color accents on the car, or any places you want to add some color you could match those, say if the seat covers, steering wheel and stick covers have a colored accent to them, tie it all in. Just a thought.
That is a great thought. I shall look into it. I like red in an engine bay, so I might accent it with that. Maybe also some bright red brakes that will show through the rims. I like red for the mechanical parts, but a little bit goes along way.
I was thinking painted calipers, but if not done well can make a car look cheap, or maybe even a brake upgrade, get some drilled or slotted rotors, I have drilled and slotted rotors and I must say they look beautiful, also helps cool the brakes and clear out brake dust.

EDIT: Also can't go wrong with red and black combo, but like you said just don't over do it.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:18 AM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Alright, so I was doing some more research, and I found something I think you should really look into. CAI and a tune, you can get it set up for 87 octane, 89, 91, or 93. Also from what I've read there are a few places you can go to find a CAI + Tuner these are two of the more popular vendors.
Evolution Performance http://www.evoperform.com/shop/index...mp;cPath=20_65
Brenspeed http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang2005v6/airkittuner.html
Also if you look around on the two sites you can get ideas for suspension mods such as lowering springs, here is what I think you should go with, or something comparable. http://www.steeda.com/products/steed...springs_05.php
On all of the sites you can find exhaust systems so while you're there might as well check em out. Hopefully you find something you like.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:14 AM
03_gt_woowee
2nd Gear Member

welcome to the mother f*cking forum
Old 08-20-2007, 05:20 AM
carn114

Wow, great links. Thanks a ton for the help, blueoval! I think I'll stay with the 87 octane tune, as gas budget is a concern. If I can get an extra 20HP from a $600 bolt-on mod, that would be incredible. I'm thinking after the black deep-dish bullits and the interior additions, the CIA/tuner will be the next step. I'm stoked!

Ohh, one more thing. Can anyone recommend a good scratch repair product? Something that is easy to use and accessible would be great. Little pebble scratches on the front end and key scratches on the door handles are really bugging me! They are only very minor scratches...

Quick Reply: New member, new Mustang!