New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

2003 Ford Mustang goes dead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:08 PM
shanelawless

Default 2003 Ford Mustang goes dead!

My 2003 Ford Mustang GT (23,000 miles) with Hooker Headers & Exhaust, Short shifter, Sport computer chip, Advanced Timing,& more has a problem I've tried to have fixed for the past year & a half! It started by my battery being dead all of the sudden. I bought a new battery - started & worked perfect for about 2 months - then dead again - returned & exghanged for another new battery - 2 months go by - dead overnight again! Took it toan alternator shop - they opened alternator "fixed" something - ran again a few months only to go dead againovernight! Once again I exchanged the battery (they began to catch on that it isn't their batteries that are bad) My mechanics replaced the alternator - again the car started perfect a few months only to go dead overnight again - trust me nothing is connected todraw on the battery - My mechanics have connected the car to a computer to diagnose the problem - to no avail - they spoke to a Ford dealership about the problem - they suggested to do everything we had already tried! I am not a mechanic at all so if you can help me to tell my mechanic what can be done, I would greatly appreciate it! It seems to be a big mystery! You would be a genius in my book!
Old 08-22-2007, 12:23 PM
fastmxer9
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 2003 Ford Mustang goes dead!

do you have any lights or little mods that might be wired into the battery?
Old 08-22-2007, 03:22 PM
shanelawless

Yes, before being diagnosed with Lymphoma cancer, I had my mechanic install undercoverpolice lights & siren (I had plans of working with the sheriff's department)- and yes my mechanic has assured me over & over that they took all lights & siren out of the mix all together & therefore isn't the problem. My mechanic is a qualified mechanic as well as very trust worthy - he explained that everyone would assume that the lights are the problem, but again he has assured me they are completely out of the mix!We are hoping all you car guys out there will be able to figure it out! I have faith in all of you! Maybe this one is for the text books? I tried to google the problem - I got nowhere! I love this car - I pray someone can figure this out!

[IMG]local://upfiles/77907/F69FE63AD2314701B158460CEC102CB7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-22-2007, 11:40 PM
blueovalboy7
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums, from what you said I don't think there is much else besides those lights that might be a problem, but I'm not a mechanic either good luck finding a solution. BTW you have a good looking stang.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:15 AM
carsjimd

Check the connector that plugs into the altenator. I know it sounds simple but sometimes it is over looked. I had a similar problem on a GT that I owned. I replaced several altenators and batteries had to several shops and no one knew what was wrong. When I went to upgrade to higher amp altenator I had to change the connector to match the knew altenator. When I went to cut the connector off I noticed The connector was melted. It would still plug into the altenator fine but it apperently wasnt making a good enough contact to keep the battery charged. Changed the connector instead of the altenator and never had any more problems.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 AM
shanelawless

This is what I wanted - I thought all along, all I needed was to find someone who would know what to do & that it might be something simple! I will take my car to him in the morning along with what you wrote! I appreciate people who are willing to lend a helping hand! After trying your suggestion - I'll let you know the results! Thank you again - I would be very happy to try try & try again! Meanwhile if anyone else has any suggestions, let me know!

Shane
Old 08-23-2007, 01:15 AM
03_gt_woowee
2nd Gear Member

you are probably better off taking this to the 4.6 section
Old 09-10-2007, 04:44 PM
shanelawless

Well, I'm still trying to fix my Mustang problem with the battery going dead! I don't have my manuel for my 2003 Ford Mustang GT 4.6 - Does anyone know where I can maybe download it from, without paying big bucks? Of course, like most people, free would be best! It would be great to even just get the fuse box label - Forddoesn't put it on the underside of the fuse box cover! I really love this car - it would be nice to get it fixed! You & your car can only look so cool when everytime you turn it off you have to pop the hood & jump start it - seems to deminish the Mustang feeling! Thanks in advance!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:46 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

welcome!!