New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Project Car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:20 AM
WRXERROR

Default Project Car.

Just wanted to get some opinions. I'm in the processes of selling my WRX and taking on a new project car. The WRX was fun and made 340awhp until the resent partout. I found a guy with a 97 V6 mustang with a blown tranny and will let it go for $300.00 so it seems like the start of a good project. It's a good solid car and other then the blown tranny it looks brand new.

I'll admit I know more about Chevy's and Subaru's then I do Fords but I'm willing to commit to the dark side.

I'm starting to do some research as to what motor,trans and rearend I want to drop into it. The car will be a weekend street runner and spend Friday nights at the 1320. More then likely I'm going to put in some kind of FI just not sure if I'll go with a S/C or turbo. Ok I'm getting ahead of myself here since I haven't even picked a motor.

I'm wondering what are my options here? Crate motor (read carbed), pick up a 4.6L and build it up. Or find an old 5.0L and build it up. I'm kind of leaning in the direction of the 4.6L just because I know that year GT was a 4.6L so I'm going to assume replacing th wireharness (if needed), ECU, motor and trans would be easier then converting to something else. Sure a carbed crate motor would be a sinple bolt on but I'm a fuel injection kind of guy.

My goals are 450+RWHP and this would be a winter project and hoping to get on the road by spring, summer at the latest. I'm willing to pay for power but at the same time I'm not rich so price is always in the game. I don't want to do things cheap but if two options get me the same results I'll pick the cheap way to do it.

So if you were just starting a 97 v6 project car which way would you go? By the way I haven't purchased the car yet so even a different platform is an options but I can't think of any reason not to start with the 97 v6.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Project Car.

Lots of good questions, but I would recommend you go inside the forums, in the section that your stang would fall under, and fire away with the questions. Welcome BTW.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:28 PM
WRXERROR

Default RE: Project Car.

ORIGINAL: TPony

Lots of good questions, but I would recommend you go inside the forums, in the section that your stang would fall under, and fire away with the questions. Welcome BTW.
Yeah I noticed this forums doesn't seem to get too many replies.