New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Greetings...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 12:54 PM
CadetLee

Default Greetings...

..I'm new, which you probably have guessed already.

I don't have a Mustang..I have never had a Mustang..heck, I don't think I've ever been in a Mustang..but I'm thinking of getting one. Not quite yet, but eventually..I'm pretty much between an MR2 Turbo or Mustang GT (or Cobra). I love the look of the MR2, but I like the Mustang as well...so I have two questions (if I should ask elsewhere, I apologize):

1) From what I've read/heard, it's much easier (and much cheaper) to increase power from a V8 when comparing to a 4 cylinder (I have a '98 Corolla...same engine as the Celica GT, but I'm looking at $3k+ to make it decently fast..incidentally, that's more than I paid for the car to begin with). I also love the sound of a V8..

2) How do Mustangs handle when compared to other sports cars (older Porsche 944s, MR2s, Celicas, etc), and how difficult/expensive is it to give a Mustang great handling (ie competitive autocross), or are they good stock?

Thanks..hopefully I'll learn a bit by lurking around here..

-Cadet
Old 03-30-2003, 01:04 PM
noslow50
I ♥ Acer

Default Greetings...

well 1st welcome and 2nd go with the stang.... true it doesn't take as much to build up a v8 to make more power...handling well personally i think my car (95 gt vert lowered) hnadles pretty damn good... some one else may sa other wise... a full road race suspension can get quit pricey... i would jsut lower it put boxed lower control arms and prob adj uppers... along with off set rack buchings and caster camber plates.. and bigger sawy bars.. the list goes on lol..
Old 03-30-2003, 03:14 PM
CadetLee

Default Greetings...

Is there any specific year I should get/avoid? I like the '94 body style, and want a GT or Cobra (definitely not a V6). I prefer manual trannies as well. Are there any specific problems I need to look out for?

What am I looking at for a 94-95ish GT in decent shape? I don't mind working on it, but I don't have much mechanical experience. What would the suspension work you listed cost?

Is there somewhere I can go just to read about a whole bunch of stuff, or should I just browse forums? I know a bit about what I can do to my car, but it's expensive..and I'd rather have a mean V8.

Finally..what would I have to do to easily take a '64 El Camino with a newly rebuilt 350 w/intake/exhaust? A friend of mine has one...he walked a non-turbo Eclipse (which is to be expected, I guess)..but I think it's a 14-15 second car. My Corolla definitely outhandles it, though.. :P
Old 03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
91GT5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Greetings...

Get a Stang, you'll be walking him or sticking with the El Camino with your Stock 302. The 94-95's are the heavier body style of the 5.0's, I have a fox body and it handles pretty well for stock, put some suspension upgrades on and you can autoX no problem. What's cool about the 94-95's are they are a new body style, but they still have the 302!! Plus, they're really easy to work on.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:34 PM
CadetLee

Default Greetings...

I love the 94 body style..so their engines are better than the 96+ versions? How is the stock handling? All I've really driven (well, driven enough to know well..ie how fast I can take a corner, etc) is my car..which would handle much better with new suspension..but I don't really want to drop 500 bucks on it. Rather save for something faster to begin with.

Easy to work on is definitely a plus..

According to Kelly Blue Book value, I should expect to pay about $4700 for a '94 GT with 100k on it. Is that about right, or should I look for specific price/mileage? Am I better off buying stock & upgrading, or buying somebody's toy that they have to sell (ie eBay)?

Any pointers would be great..I can typically hold my own in a 4cyl import discussion (for a little while, anyways)..but I'm lost when it comes to American cars.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:42 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default Greetings...

If you want to handle, avoid the 79-93 style. Go with the new ones. They will workout alot better for that. Youd be crazy to go with an import 4 banger if you want to go fast. Waste of time and money. If you want to drive around with a loud stereo, a 6 foot aluminum wing and clear tail lights then by all means get the MR2. Oh yeah, welcome by the way
Old 03-31-2003, 07:54 PM
CadetLee

Default Greetings...

<blockquote>Quote: Originally posted by lloydchristmas on 31 March 2003<hr>
If you want to handle, avoid the 79-93 style. Go with the new ones. They will workout alot better for that. Youd be crazy to go with an import 4 banger if you want to go fast. Waste of time and money. If you want to drive around with a loud stereo, a 6 foot aluminum wing and clear tail lights then by all means get the MR2. Oh yeah, welcome by the way

<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not a ricer...and MR2 Turbos aren't *that* slow...but if your definition of "fast" is 11-12 second quarters, then I see your point..and can't wait to get a 'stang.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:02 PM
lloydchristmas
3rd Gear Member

Default Greetings...

LOL I know they arent slow but were talking bang for the buck here. Right?
Old 03-31-2003, 09:06 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Default Greetings...

But it this way dude...you can put pullies on a 5.0 and gain like, 15 horses. Intake taps on another 15 if it's cold air.

That's 25ish horses in under a 1/2 hour.
Old 03-31-2003, 10:41 PM
CadetLee

Default Greetings...

Yeah..bang for the buck..and I hear the 5.0 is quite easy to work with. I've seen how expensive it is to get power from a 4 cylinder...lol

So..any specific recommendations? I assume convertibles are going to be slightly slower (more weight?), and also have more chassis flex due to the lack of a hard top/frame..but I think I prefer a coupe anyways.