New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

A Cobra Owner New to This Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
jcstras

Default A Cobra Owner New to This Forum

Howdy,
I live here in Fort Worth and am the proud owner of a 95 Cobra that I bought about 5 months ago. The interesting thing about this car is that the fellow I bought it from was concealing the fact that it is a cobra in so far as putting GT emblems on it, and changing the front and rear bumper covers. I purchased this car in Wilkesbarre, Pa. and when I asked the seller why he had done this he said because he wasobtaining a speeding ticket every several months or so. After he changed the cosmetics, he stopped getting tickets. An extreme way to go about eliminating speeding tickets.... I told him I thought that keeping his foot off of the accelerator might have proved less expensive.
He had performed many mods to the car under the hood to the point where the car is developing close to 500 H.P. He also installed an automatic transmission to accomodate faster take off's from a dead start. The car is incredibly fast.
I have a problem, however... I am trying to restore the car to it's original condition and am finding it impossible to locate a rear bumper cover for a 95 Cobra. Additionally, I am not able to find a passanger's side power window switch. The car is a convertible and is painted Rio red. I think it might have originally been black.
Once again, hello to you all, it is great to find a forum where there are others with the same love of Mustangs as myself. I hope to be able to help others with my experience with Mustangs. Iwas the proud owner of a 2004 Mach 1 in the past which was repo'ed in 2006. This Cobra I paid cash for...it's all mine! No payments! Once again, hello, and Happy holidays!
Old 12-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Cubs17
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: A Cobra Owner New to This Forum

Thats odd that he went to those lengths, when he should have just slowed down! Welcome to the board, this is the right place to find those hard to get parts.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:21 AM
klfutrelle
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the site. I would try www.mpsautosalvage.com for your hard to find parts.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 PM
jcstras

I agree. When I picked up the car he showed me that he still had the bumper covers and the catalytic converters, etcand asked if I wanted them. I turned him down because I knew I would be driving back here to Texas and I wouldn't have room in the car for all of that stuff along with my clothes and all. Looking back, I wish I had taken him up on it. I called him up a couple of months later to see if he could ship the things to me, but he had...are you ready for this...thrown it all away! I couldn't believe it! So, now I am in the process of looking for replacement covers. I had converters installed to pass state inspection, bought the Cobra emblems, but I am NOT putting them on until I have the covers and fog lights installed. Geese, I never realized that it would be this involved!
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

Nice to see another 5.0 Cobra guy on here . Welcome!

Should have gotten a friend with a truck or something I guess. For all those hard to find parts try the siteklfutrelle posted, as well as www.latemodelrestoration.com. One thing I can tell you that might help is that the early Cobras only said "Mustang" on the bumper cover so you could probably get away with a V6 one for cheaper. They may even be the same part #, but I don't know that for sure. Also if you are going back to manual, in case you aren't sure, those cars came with a T-5. I knwo the Cobra-specific ones had phosphate coeated gears, but other than that they should be identical to the standard T-5. Not sure how easy a Cobra T-5 would be to come by...
Old 12-31-2007, 08:21 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Welcome to the forums. You've come to the right place.