New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newbie to the site, but help me convince the fiance to keep '05 GT Vert!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:26 PM
chiguy79
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie to the site, but help me convince the fiance to keep '05 GT Vert!

My fiance would likeme to sell the car, we live in the city, I only drive the car on weekends (hence 16,000mi in 3 years of ownership), she can't drive stick, why have a car payment, economy sucks, etc etc.

I was planning on selling the stang and replacing it with an older classic convt (ie. alfa duetto, datsun fairlady, etc.) just a runner nothing too nice that I could pay cash for. Seems reasonable to me but at the same time the Stang has been great, no problems at all other than the typical TSBs. And it is fun to drive.

If I don't sell it I would like to put start modifying as I didn't want to modify until the warranty expired. So I need to decide what way to go, if I do start modifying I will keep it for the mid/long term otherwise it is time for something new and the Stang treated me well in my 3+ years of ownership.

I am in Chicago also, was checking out Sutton High Performance they look like the can do some nice stuff but $$$s for upgrades. I have always been one to recycle my toys so it is hard for me to stick it out with one car.

I know I can convince my fiance but even I am having a hard time deciding whether it is time to get a weekend classic or stick with the stang.

Cheers,

[IMG]local://upfiles/102462/985290F32C3D4EDBBED53A62B9914995.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-08-2008, 07:16 AM
KeithB78
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie to the site, but help me convince the fiance to keep '05 GT Vert!

Just tell her your keeping it. Welcome aboard
Old 08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
chiguy79
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie to the site, but help me convince the fiance to keep '05 GT Vert!

The direct approach, eh...I don't think I am going to get away with that!! Ah life was simpler in my youth.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Stick03
2nd Gear Member

Boy, I don't know...not even married yet and already trying to change you???? Could be considered an omen! I've been married for 15 years and that's one thing we promised we'd never do...change the person we fell in love with. Hell, she bought me my new rims for Father's Day!!! Yes, she's a keeper!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
07cspony
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie to the site, but help me convince the fiance to keep '05 G

Welcome to the forums. How much does you Stang mean to you? Does she know how much it means to you? I expect she does! IMO, asking your mate (future mate anyway) to give up something that you know means a lot to them needs to be for a very, very good reason. You have to decide if her reason is, in both your opinions, a very, very good reason. I guess the first question you need to answer is the first question I asked you...now much does your Stang mean to you?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
BluStangOwnr

Sounds to me like you are more undecided than she is. You need to figure out what you, yourself, want to do before you can begin to consider her opinion. Most Mustang owners enjoy the mustang becauseit is an American Muscle car icon that has endured through the ages. Not only that, butFord has put together a great package for car enthusiasts of allages. Usually, gas prices and the economy rarelyaffect our opinion in owning, what we agree to be, a 'must have' for any red-bloodedAmerican with a needfor torque and horsepower.It depends on you. You don't want to any resentmentto come between you and your fiancee due to a decision that you might not whole-heartedly agree with.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Good looking vert. Mine is a 2005 with 13,000 miles. Winter storage.

I suggest putting off the wedding until the car is paid for. Priorities.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 PM
loribelle

If she doesn't know how to drive a stick, teach her.

How did she feel aboutthe car before she was your fiance?

Old 08-10-2008, 02:21 PM
chiguy79
1st Gear Member

Well to be fair she is fine with me getting a different car and pay cash for it...and she did let me buy a boat and I have plenty of hobbbies. I guess I just need to figure out what I want to do...one thing is for certain the wedding budget takes away from the toy budget! If she were a big spender vs. saver I would have a bigger problem on my hands.

Too bad neither of us have rich parents would make life easier!
Old 08-10-2008, 02:23 PM
chiguy79
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: loribelle

If she doesn't know how to drive a stick, teach her.

How did she feel aboutthe car before she was your fiance?

I tried this and she has driven stick on long distance drives on the highway but it didn't go too well. And we live in the city so her comfort level just isn't there to drive it in the city without being 100% comfortable. She got frustrated and gave up after a few "lessons"...maybe I will try to start the teaching process again!

Quick Reply: Newbie to the site, but help me convince the fiance to keep '05 GT Vert!