New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

I was going to get a 08 GT500 until I saw this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 370overall
Im a neutral car enthusiast. I dont say american, european, or asian. I see a car built by the same species and thats it.

First of all corvettes are over rated and we all cant argue against the fact that when the domestic companies build a car they do it to get it done and get money. European and asian we all know puts quality over all. Thats why when the toyota tacoma a year or 2 ago started having abnormal rust issues toyota made a statement saying that they would buy back any tacoma for its BB value plus a few extra K if they buy a new toyota just because they know they make good cars.

As far as the GT500. I test drove one and even though the power is great I do honestly have to say as far as handling.... It feels as if the suspension is made of wood and bricks. They say the ford is made to run fast in a straight line but its a shame roads have left and right hand turns. Otherwise this car would have been a great pick. I drove the mustang on regular streets and they let me take it on the highway to test it on the off ramps and such. I thought the car was going fall off the road

Fast car
Good looking car
But handling....

P.S That show is awsomely funny. Its about looking past the bashing because after all the people who live in the US is who started the hate. Reading through this thread backs that up.

Uhhh... you better strap on your flame suit cuz a few of your comments in there are way off...

For one, how is a Corvette over rated? It's fast, looks great, handles great, I never hear stories about them breaking down... Cheaper than Foreign cars that claim the same kind of performance. I don't see where the overrating comes in?

Foreign cars build for quality and Domestic cars build to sell?? Wtf dude? You do know Ford ranks higher in overall dependability than your Nissan right? The Corvette was considered one of the Top 10 most dependable cars in the world.(Information pulled from J.D. Power)

BUICK! A Domestic company ranked NUMBER 1 this year for most dependable brand, and it consistantly is in the top 10. Also in the top 10 you can find Lincoln, Mecury, and Cadillac. Just outside of the Top 10 spots you will find Ford, GMC, Chrystler, and Chevy. Below all of those Domestic Companies... you find Nissan... hmmm go figure.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...e-#page-anchor

By the way... the Mustang is also considered a VERY reliable car :-)
Old 08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
TheMustang
2nd Gear Member

Corvettes are overrated? Thats why the new corvettes with nothing but drag radials are breaking in the 10's right? I have yet to see anything intelligent from your posts. You bought a 370Z over a Shelby b/c some dumbass british people put it on a dyno and couldn't realize that factory ratings are at the flywheel?! Eh, it wouldn't have costed much to make the shelby handle awesome PLUS for $1000 you can add over 100RWHP.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:19 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

As far as the GT500. I test drove one and even though the power is great I do honestly have to say as far as handling.... It feels as if the suspension is made of wood and bricks. They say the ford is made to run fast in a straight line but its a shame roads have left and right hand turns. Otherwise this car would have been a great pick. I drove the mustang on regular streets and they let me take it on the highway to test it on the off ramps and such. I thought the car was going fall off the road

Fast car
Good looking car
But handling....

P.S That show is awesomely funny. Its about looking past the bashing because after all the people who live in the US is who started the hate. Reading through this thread backs that up.
Really... I mean really. Now we know for sure you came here just to see what you can start. Maybe if you had said your friend has one and he let you drive it, but you do not "test drive" a GT500. They usually don't even let you test the Bullitts / Roush / Shelby GTs either. I know cause i have tried and my mom even bought a 09 Bullitt. First time she was allowed to do more then start the car was after she signed the papers.

Seriously, felt like it was going to fall off the roads... Doing the speed limit on a test drive, or even slightly over.... sure bud. I take my GT with still close to stock suspension and dive hard into off ramps and back roads, handles pretty good for your average aggressive cornering. You look at that video that you even posted, there not just playing with the car having some fun, there accelerating hard then trying to carry the highest passable speed through the corners. You drive on the ragged edge like that on the roads? I feel sorry for the people your going to kill, no matter what car your in.

Its not "people in the US" that start the hate, its people like you who lie then exaggerate generalisms to get attention that get torn apart then call us all aholes.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:25 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

If it was called the Cobra and not a GT500 they wouldn't have said crap. They simply try to downplay american cars in anyway they can.

I mean what was the stupid quote at the end with the Roush when Jeremy Clarkson says "this is the type of car I would get if I looked at my sister and said Oh yeah"

a$$hole.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

That Lotus/Mustang comparison crap pisses me off. You want to talk about overated?40k for a go cart with NO interior other than net seats and metal plates, how about no. That Clarkson guy gets into a Z06 and complains that it is too loud and too bumpy, but then walks over to his british built Lotus and starts dry humping it. The Lotus handles, that is it. Its not good for anything else, not that you can safely drive it to its full potential on the street anyway. The Mustang exceeds the Lotus in quality, mainly because the Lotus is all but gutted.
As far as the OPs decision, there's nothing wrong with the 370z, but the GT500 will stomp it in every aspect. Watching those brits fubar the info and misrepresent the GT500 like that, and then base a decision on that alone was not the smartest thing to do. The 370 is pretty badass, but like it or not, the S197 is a direct competitor. The 2010 GT, 370, Genesis, test done by motortrend showed that. I won't even comment on the Vette statement that was mentioned earlier.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 PM
LS WHAT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheMustang
Corvettes are overrated? Thats why the new corvettes with nothing but drag radials are breaking in the 10's right? I have yet to see anything intelligent from your posts. You bought a 370Z over a Shelby b/c some dumbass british people put it on a dyno and couldn't realize that factory ratings are at the flywheel?! Eh, it wouldn't have costed much to make the shelby handle awesome PLUS for $1000 you can add over 100RWHP.
thanks for your reply, I don't like talking to ignorance, op is a brit ricer trying to stir **** up here. a 370 over a gt 500 get real, he probably owns a 83 honda

this subscription is deleted.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:15 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

Well I purchased a 370Z a few months ago and thought maybe I'd like the 08 GT500 but then I saw this...

What do you guys think? Any input or opinions?

You fail miserably for not understanding the difference between rear wheel horsepower and factory advertised crank horsepower.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Solitear
2nd Gear Member

Well I purchased a 370Z a few months ago and thought maybe I'd like the 08 GT500 but then I saw this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O46E0gCF5os

What do you guys think? Any input or opinions?

wait people listen to TOPGEAR?!
I barly listen to them anymore due to their bias reviews >=/

TBH i prefer a GT500 over a 370z just my opinion yea the 370 has its +'s and -'s but deep down i'm more of an american car guy plus a 5.4 v8 supercharged vs a v6 all motor, for modding easie i'll take the 5.4 with the blower please >=)
------------------------

Now to the op..

You could not distingush between crankhp and wheelhp... wow i wish i was a carsales man i bet you got jiped....

Last edited by Solitear; 08-27-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:54 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

welcome to the forum and get a 2010 GT500.....all problems with prev model solved! (regardless I would get any yr GT500)
Old 08-28-2009, 02:57 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Hey guys wanna hear why I picked an SRT-4 over a GT500? well for starters.

Ah I'm just f*&Cking with you. This guy is your typical Z owning troll. I refuse to visit a Z sight because of the leg humping and backpatting these clowns do. You'd think they bought something exotic the way they carry on.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 08-28-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: I was going to get a 08 GT500 until I saw this...