New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Former Camaro guy looking into Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:07 PM
RoadWarrior75

Default Former Camaro guy looking into Mustangs

First off, I don't want to get into the Camaro bashing. I understand the Ford/ Chevy thing but I don't want to get into it. I DO like Detroit muscle, except anything from Dodge. Just not impressed with anything they have....
I had a 94 Z28 that ran high 10's. It was built for nitrous and I never got to run it with spray. I was planning to run a 200 HP Minimum shot, but life got somewhat in the way. I parted with the car in Dec. 09 due to my wife being a full time student after losing her job , our 2 1/2 yr old daughter needing to be back in daycare and my job, which takes all over the world, at times. I am in Canada right now joining the forum.....
I miss NOT having a car but that 4th Gen Camaro I don't think I will miss that much. Who was the idiot that decided the motor needed to be half way under the cowl anyways? I had developed or broke/modified tools just work on the car. Even plug changes were a PITA! Time for something with some room.....
I have been poking around the board a bit a reading the mods list. I am one who can never leave anything alone. What I'm wondering is what are the pros and cons you guys have the Mustang Gt from 05' and up. I am also very interested in motor mods as bolt ons only go so far.....
I have already begun looking for a car, except I will not be buying for another 2 years or so unless something comes along that is too good to let go.
I have been leaning towards the '10 and definately want the six speed. Had the automatic and its great for going straight but I'd like to have a little fun....
Motors are motors and I know Chevy motors inside and out. I know next to nothing about what Ford does or anything about the 4.6L . I am use to the old pushrod motors( LTX and LSX motors). If anyone has some good links or info I'd greatly appreciate the point in the right direction. Thanks for your help in advance!!
Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

welcome
Old 04-30-2010, 11:10 PM
HorsePower99
1st Gear Member

Haha yea a Chevy guy at work was saying something one time about the Camaros and Pontiacs handling way better than the Mustang because the engine sets further back and I was just like well my Mustang handles awesome and that sh*t looks like a huge pain to work on.

Glad to see you're coming over to our side haha you won't regret it.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:28 PM
MythEyeLess
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the forums and mustangs in general. Why dont you look into a 2011 instead of 2010. You might find great benefit from waiting and getting that extra power from the 5.0 mustang with the new engine then you will from the 2010's 4.6.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 AM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

Hi- and welcome to the fun and exciting world of mustangs. Let me start off by letting you know that I own a medium sized used car dealership. I have the choice of driving any of the cars on the lot. I’ve owned a z28, 5.0, 4.6, bmw, gm, and so on. I now have a saleen s281sc convertible and it is a blast to drive, upgrade, and work on. Like you said: “you like to tinker with your cars” As for the ford mustang the list goes on and on for simple bolt-ons that make such a big difference in performance. Go to a web site called JDM performance and you can get a lot of ideas from that site that will blow your mind and get you ready for the day you bring your mustang home. Mustang is the way to go… I think it’s your biggest bang for the buck. Keep us posted and let us know how you make out.
Thanx-Muzzy 04 S281SC Convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane ss braded IC lines
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift ****
1 bottle of water wetter
Old 05-01-2010, 04:20 AM
RoadWarrior75

Originally Posted by MythEyeLess
welcome to the forums and mustangs in general. Why dont you look into a 2011 instead of 2010. You might find great benefit from waiting and getting that extra power from the 5.0 mustang with the new engine then you will from the 2010's 4.6.
I won't be buying for at least 2 years, so I am open. I just liked the refreshed look of the 2010 model. I seen the 5.0 on Fords site.....

I know that is why the engine is set back into the cowl. I had an 87' Iroc that handled ok. The 93' and up cars handled even better. I think I swore so much working on my 94' I would have made a sailor blush.....

I know the older fox body cars were light, say an 89' LX 5.0 but how do the newer cars compare? I would imagine that with all the safety stuff on vehicles the weights on them are creeping up
Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 AM
98MustangGT46
5th Gear Member

Welcome! The one thing that is better about the mustangs is they make more aftermarket parts. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:45 PM
muzzy
1st Gear Member

Sorry….. The web site is “JDM Engineering” sorry for the mess-up
Muzzy
Old 05-01-2010, 03:05 PM
RoadWarrior75

Originally Posted by 98MustangGT46
Welcome! The one thing that is better about the mustangs is they make more aftermarket parts. Good luck!
I'd have to say they might be a little even as far as what is offered. Not so in how many companies offer them.
My 94Z didn't have anything stock. Dana s60, tubular k-member, upper and lower tubular control arms, adjustable torque arm, adj. pan hard bar adj. lower control arms, QA1's , long tubes, etc. I had every bolton you could do along with a 383 stroker with Lunati crank, manley h beams and Mahle pro series pistons. It makes me want to cry to see what I had spent on that car....

What really exploded the f-body cars onto the market was the introduction of the LSX series motor.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:30 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the dark side!

Quick Reply: Former Camaro guy looking into Mustangs