New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to the Forum and looking for advice on Moding my Stang

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 03:34 AM
Irishshaker6977

Default New to the Forum and looking for advice on Moding my Stang

Hey All,

The name is Chris and i'm a proud owner of a 2002 GT 4.6L V-8 5-Speed Ford Mustang. It's midnight blue and fully stocked with the Mach Sound System, Fog Lights, Cruise Control, Power Seats and Track Off. It's only been owned by one other owner and he put in a KIPK K&N Filter with a Aircharger; along with the Flowmasters Exhaust Kit for the 99-04 Mustang GT (Super 40/American Thunder). So, he got my car running at 295 hp and i'm looking to increase it. I've looked at TB/plentiums, the Turbonator, the JET Ford Mustang Moudule, Long Headers, a Short Shifter. some body mods, gear ratio changes, pulleys and a Ram Air Shaker Scoop System. I'm open to any suggestions on what to get to make my Stang a better pony and any other comments that you think a new Stang owner should have.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:52 AM
Irishshaker6977

Default RE: New to the Forum and looking for advice on Moding my Stang

Anybody from Houston know of any Local Mustang Clubs that i can join?
Old 08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
v8stang05
4th Gear Member

welcome to the forums
Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Irishshaker6977

Hey All,

The name is Chris and i'm a proud owner of a 2002 GT 4.6L V-8 5-Speed Ford Mustang. It's midnight blue and fully stocked with the Mach Sound System, Fog Lights, Cruise Control, Power Seats and Track Off. It's only been owned by one other owner and he put in a KIPK K&N Filter with a Aircharger; along with the Flowmasters Exhaust Kit for the 99-04 Mustang GT (Super 40/American Thunder). So, he got my car running at 295 hp and i'm looking to increase it. I've looked at TB/plentiums, the Turbonator, the JET Ford Mustang Moudule, Long Headers, a Short Shifter. some body mods, gear ratio changes, pulleys and a Ram Air Shaker Scoop System. I'm open to any suggestions on what to get to make my Stang a better pony and any other comments that you think a new Stang owner should have.
First of all, I hate to be the one that busts your bubble. Sorry man, here I go.

Your car is not running 295 HP with those mods. You might be looking at 225-230 RWHP or so [:@] Now I will try to help you. I would suggest a 75mm accufab throttle body/plenum combo. They give the best punch out of all of them. The turbonator is one of the biggest wastes of money out there. Long tube headers have to be matched up with a shorty X or H pipe and the combo is pretty expensive but it gives quite a few HP. A short shifter is always a good mod, people seem to like the steeda tri-ax the best, but I would ask before you buy it. Gears are alway good but make sure you go over 3.73's. The shaker scoop really doesn't do anything performance wise and doesn't even look that great IMO, if you want a shaker get a Mach 1. Pullies are good also, I would suggest steeda.

But, welcome to the forums and have fun! If you need anything just post in the 4.6 section and we'll help you out
Old 09-01-2005, 08:13 PM
v8stang05
4th Gear Member

if moneys not an issue you should look into a supercharger.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Moparman87
3rd Gear Member

engine b4 looks 4 sure..
Old 09-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Irishshaker6977

"the GT engine is rated at 260 horsepower at 5250 rpm and 302 foot-pounds at 4000."

This stat is quoted from an official stat report on the 2002 base/GT/Cobra model of the mustang of that year. The website is http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev.../mustang/2002/ if you'd like to check it out. I did state that my car was a 2002 GT and not a base Ford Mustang; which might run at 225 to 230 hp with some mods. I also stated that a FIPK K&N Filter with an Aircharger and an American Thunder 40 Flow Masters Exhust had been added to it. The FIPK and Aircharger Filter produce a 15 hp increase, based off of the stats that K&N gives, and the Exhust system gives a 5% to 7% hp increase, based off the stats that Flowmasters give. So, from 260 adding 15 would give an increase to 275 hp at around 5000 or so rpm, and the Exhust system would increase it to between 289 and 295 hp. On a final note, both the Mach 1 and the 2002 GT Mustang look almost the same say for the fact that the Mach 1 has a Ram Air Shaker Scoop System already installed in it. So by adding that system it would make my 2002 look almost like a Mach 1. I know this because my uncle owns one of the first newly made Mach 1's and even he said they look almost the same. Thanks for the help though.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:18 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Irishshaker6977

"the GT engine is rated at 260 horsepower at 5250 rpm and 302 foot-pounds at 4000."

This stat is quoted from an official stat report on the 2002 base/GT/Cobra model of the mustang of that year. The website is http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev.../mustang/2002/ if you'd like to check it out. I did state that my car was a 2002 GT and not a base Ford Mustang; which might run at 225 to 230 hp with some mods. I also stated that a FIPK K&N Filter with an Aircharger and an American Thunder 40 Flow Masters Exhust had been added to it. The FIPK and Aircharger Filter produce a 15 hp increase, based off of the stats that K&N gives, and the Exhust system gives a 5% to 7% hp increase, based off the stats that Flowmasters give. So, from 260 adding 15 would give an increase to 275 hp at around 5000 or so rpm, and the Exhust system would increase it to between 289 and 295 hp. On a final note, both the Mach 1 and the 2002 GT Mustang look almost the same say for the fact that the Mach 1 has a Ram Air Shaker Scoop System already installed in it. So by adding that system it would make my 2002 look almost like a Mach 1. I know this because my uncle owns one of the first newly made Mach 1's and even he said they look almost the same. Thanks for the help though.
Thats your problem right there. That HP and torque rating is at the flywheel. Everyone but manufactuer measures at the rear wheels since thats what matters. And I believe you have a 23% drivetrain loss on the autos and a tad less on the manuals, so you do the math. A K&N does not add 15 hp you might be looking at 5. Again the manufactuer makes it seem more then what it is. The exhaust probally is another 5 hp.

The mach is alot different then the GT. First of all the mach has a 4v DOHC V8 pushing out 305 hp and 320 torque at the flywheel, you have a 2v SOHC V8 with 260 hp and 302 torque at the flywheel. . And it has a different tranny, better brakes, different appearence things, better seats, etc. And trust me the machs shaker and the GT aftermarket ones is not even close. Trust me, I have seen them both side by side.

I'm just telling it as it is man.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:49 AM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

260 - 52 (20% drivertrain loss) = 208 + mods = ~ 230 (if lucky!). 295 HP takes some serious modding (w/o supercharger).
Old 09-03-2005, 01:03 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

225-230 is about right for a stock GT.

Quick Reply: New to the Forum and looking for advice on Moding my Stang