New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member- 67 Convertible Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 AM
firesyde

Default New Member- 67 Convertible Mustang

Hello to all you Mustang enthusiasts! I drive a '67 Mustang Convertible which is, unfortunately, not my car but my Father-in-law's car. However, he has been kind enough to let me drive it whenever I want, which is about as often as there is a warm sunny day(not often enough). =(

This car has a special place for me since I met my wife in high school and she drove us to our prom in the Mustang. Most people showed up in their parent's BMW's or Mercedes, or limo's. We showed up in a classic Mustang.

I also drove it for our wedding and on the way to our wedding, a Dodge pickup truck pulled up next to me at a stop light and asked me if I wanted to race. I'm normally not that kind of driver but it was my wedding day, so I gave it a shot. The poor guy in the Dodge never had a chance and I've been in love with the car ever since.

It was the "demo" car for the dealer that year and the original receipt for $3600 plus tax, minus the "show car" discount, is still in the glove compartment. It's a 289 V8, dual barrel carb, automatic transmission, with just over 80K miles on it, and is blue with white racing stripes along the sides of the car. My Father-in-law is the car's only owner and it is entirely original. Outside the usual maintenance items(spark plugs, air filter, battery, ect...), the car has not been modified and still has the original paint job, engine, convertible top(including the rear window), and even the original brake drums, although the pads have been changed a few times over the years. The distributor wore out about 10 years ago and had to be replaced.

He told me that Ford converted the engine in the '67 model year Mustang to unleaded gas halfway through the year and since his Mustang was built before that happened, the engine won't take unleaded gas. I wasn't able to find any information to back that up, so maybe you guys can resolve that one for me. Whatever the case, the car still burns leaded gas and I have to put a lead additive in whenever I fill it up.

I'm looking to get some of the minor problems with the car fixed for my Father-in-law's 70th birthday this year. The AM radio, temp gauge, and "alternator" gauge are all non-functional. The engine needs new valve cover gaskets, not to mention general cleaning, and the alternator can only keep up with the electrical demands of the car if the head lights aren't on.

Having said that, it's a wonderful car. Certainly a much better car to drive than my '06 Sentra and I drive it whenever I get the chance which totally baffles my wife but I hope to someday convert her to the joys of driving a classic muscle car.

I've been learning quite a bit about the classic mustangs recently and I've been pouring through posts on the forums. I'll try to have some pictures for you guys tomorrow as I don't have the Mustang with me today, but for now, this is my official "newbie" post! =)
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM
geoffrey

hello and welcome from France
Old 10-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to MF
Old 10-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Welcome!
Check out the classic section
Old 10-11-2011, 11:47 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:14 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

gonna be completely honest...i didnt read all of that haha. welcome anyway =P
Old 10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

Welcome!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM
All4One
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by aerbourne
gonna be completely honest...i didnt read all of that haha. welcome anyway =P
I wasn't going to, but it was actually worth it.

Cool story, welcome to the forums!

Quick Reply: New Member- 67 Convertible Mustang