New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Acquired me a horse

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 02:50 PM
dabsevo

Default Acquired me a horse

Gots me a mustang. It was a pain in the *** to get everything sorted out but got a 2000 Mustang GT 5 speed. Looks good and drove okay back home yesterday (highway about 40 miles back). Given that it needs some repairs and replacements that will add up, it was an okay buy.

It needs the following: oil change - it was dark the guy never did an oil change but he only had it for a few months. no smog proof but here in CA it's the seller's responsibility but whatever. I had an OBD scanner and that's how they do the smog now on the newer cars and it doesnt seem to be throwing anything once I cleared the EVAP code (he said he fixed the fuel filler neck leak). Code was p0455. Hopefully nothing crazy needed like a new cat converter or something expensive. Engine seems okay no knocking, no white or black smoke. Tranny is okay except it has a grind in reverse and from what Ive been reading this is a notorious issue with all the mustangs of this generation. I put it in 1st-> Reverse and it seems to be okay.
Has bald *** tires, busted windshield, missing door lock *****, no radio headunit, cracks in the bumper, and a few other things that can be taken care of with TLC. but will add up.

What do you guys think about doing a tranny fluid change at over 150k miles? I dont know if it's a myth or not but i heard you're not supposed to change the tranny fluid past 100k cause it can cause your tranny to seize up. but i also read that it's an old wife's tale and someone fixed their grinding and general tranny problems with a fluid change. I also heard that you shouldn't change the fluid in an automatic but a manual tranny can have the fluid changed whenever.

From what I understand it is because the fluid has buildup and metal and if you remove it it will cause the parts to not work correctly, I'm not sure? Couldn't you dilute it slowly over time and introduce new fluid slowly? Maybe change out 1/4 of the tranny fluid with new one. Then in 5000 miles do another 1/4 and next time 1/2, etc. so you dont introduce a completely different fluid?

Also I dont know what trim this mustang is but the truck has a black trim with a lip coming out straight back. I've seen this before but I dont know what it is. I looked up roushe, special anniversary edition, mach 1 but it doesn't look like it.
Name:  lS3pi4m.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  19.8 KB
Old 04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Mark86SVO
1st Gear Member

Welcome to MF
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Congrats and welcome!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM
sohaa

Very nice
Old 04-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums and congratulations! From what it looks like the spoiler is from Saleen. And the blacked out trunk lid is just that. It's been blacked out by either paint or a decal you can buy aftermarket, it's supposed to give it that sort of retro look(I have the same thing done to my trunk). For the evap code you might want to get it checked out using a smoke machine because even after you clear that code it'll come back a few days later. It can also be hiding an underlying code that won't be pulled up until it's actually completely cleared. It happened to me when my car was throwing up a small EVAP leak. After I got that fixed due to a cracked and flooded fuel filler neck, I got a code a few days later for a bad O2 sensor. I'm not sure about the transmission fluid myself so I can't help you there. Anyways I hope you got a pretty good deal for that mustang because it seems like you've got some minor work ahead of you.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

You are now indoctrinated into manhood. Welcome
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Laxdad

Welcome
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 AM
dabsevo

Originally Posted by Subbz
Welcome to the forums and congratulations! From what it looks like the spoiler is from Saleen. And the blacked out trunk lid is just that. It's been blacked out by either paint or a decal you can buy aftermarket, it's supposed to give it that sort of retro look(I have the same thing done to my trunk). For the evap code you might want to get it checked out using a smoke machine because even after you clear that code it'll come back a few days later. It can also be hiding an underlying code that won't be pulled up until it's actually completely cleared. It happened to me when my car was throwing up a small EVAP leak. After I got that fixed due to a cracked and flooded fuel filler neck, I got a code a few days later for a bad O2 sensor. I'm not sure about the transmission fluid myself so I can't help you there. Anyways I hope you got a pretty good deal for that mustang because it seems like you've got some minor work ahead of you.
Thanks all. Yeah picked her up for $3150.
Didn't have to smog the car so saved some money there but I do have some work ahead of me. Probably end up closer to 4500 doing all the repairs, tint, body work, new side skirt, radio, etc. maybe new paint DIY.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:10 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Hi, congrats and welcome.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dabsevo
Thanks all. Yeah picked her up for $3150.
Didn't have to smog the car so saved some money there but I do have some work ahead of me. Probably end up closer to 4500 doing all the repairs, tint, body work, new side skirt, radio, etc. maybe new paint DIY.
Oh nice that's not such a bad deal even after fixing some of those issues. I hope you get it running right soon so you can have fun with it .

Quick Reply: Acquired me a horse