New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

A '93 I need to get back on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 AM
jedistang93

Default A '93 I need to get back on the road.

19 years ago my Mother drove a '93 Ford Mustang GT convertible off the lot, she drove it continuously until '06. The starter died and she decided to reevaluate her transportation needs, buying a used SUV as her goto vehicle. And last week it did precisely what I told her it would do, crap out. But its a blessing because now she is willing to get the Mustang back on the road. The Mustang has been sitting for all that time gathering moss and pine needles, the gas tank rusted out about 2 years after it got parked, and nothing was done to prepare it before it got parked. My Mother had always babied it, it got a new starter when the old one puked and it had gotten its regularly scheduled maintenance when it was being driven. I don't know much but from the little I do know its in good shape for having sat for so long. The body has maybe two or three pinhead sized rust spots on it, when you pop the hood and poke around the spark plugs and distributer cap look brand new (she told me that they are original, not sure if that could be true). The oil and transmission fluid have not dropped so nothings leaking (I think), I found a mouse nest on top of the 1, 2 and 3 fuel injectors but all visible wiring is intact. I know all the fluids and filters need to be replaced, the fuel injectors have to be cleaned or replaced, it needs a new gas tank, tires and battery. I bought the Chilton repair manual and after flipping through it I'm 100% sure between the two of us we can get it running ourselves. I have never worked on a car before I don't know what tools to buy, I think I know what parts to get. In other words I could really use some experts to point me in the right direction, I want to get the Mustang running and maintain it on my own. Where should I start?
Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome

maybe start with changing all the fluids, spark plugs & filters, replacing the gas tank, fuel injectors & battery ....see if it starts & how it runs, and go from there
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome and good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 AM
TheStigSC
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to MF! I'd take 05Mustang's advice first.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

welcome to the site.good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 10:37 PM
jedistang93

Anyone want to give a girl some suggestions on a basic tool box? Around the house I'm handy with a roll of duct tape and a can of WD-40 but it seems this job calls for a bit more. Like I said I've never worked on a car before and I don't know what I'm going to need.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:44 PM
jedistang93

I took some photos today, a before and after sort of deal I'm going to give her a bath tomorrow.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

The Chilton manuals you need to take them with a grain of salt they can be useful in some cases but lead you down a track that's not always the right one. They try to cover entire model years in one book which does not always translate well. The best thing to do would be to order official ford shop manuals for that particular year.

Make sure you get those rats out no telling how far they have gone or how many wires they have taken out.

As far as leaking goes.... Your not really going to know until you start running that car again. Once it heats up and cools heats up and cool after a few runs. It will most likely spring a few leaks given how long its been since it ran.

Another good source of info would be to join a local Mustang club.

Can't see photos...
Old 05-20-2013, 11:00 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Ah on your other post about tools. That's a really hard subject to nail down. Certain jobs require different tools and your really not going to know what the tools are until that kind of crazy problem comes around. For example changing springs you would need a spring compressor that way when you take off the bolts they don't come flying off like a bat out of hell and hurt someone.

But to get going a basic ratchet set and some wrenches will go along way. Also lug wrench never know when your going to have to take a tire off. A few good hydraulic jacks, jack stands. Since its sat along time a volt meter might help tracking down any issues if the rats have gone though some of the wiring.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:20 PM
jedistang93

Thank you for the helpful advice! I think the rats are gone already but we'll see what they left behind when I take the fuel injectors out to get cleaned.
I can't find a edit button to fix it but if you right click and “open in new tab” the photos come up, I promise it only takes you to my Google drive.

Quick Reply: A '93 I need to get back on the road.