New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New from Minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM
passthrough

Default New from Minnesota

Hello,

I'm not currently an owner. I was into the mustang scene about 15-20 years ago or so. I have had 2 mustangs...My first was an early 65 with a 200 cid I6 and auto trans. It was pretty rough...lots of bondo and bad floors...only had it a couple years and bought a 66 I6 3 spd...Nice car...not much rust, was originally a SD car...had a little rust in the usual spots on the lip of the rear quarters and lower back of front fenders...solid floors...Did a V8 conversion to it..falcon drums in front, 8" rear with 3.00 gears...GT dual exhaust 2 bbl 289 reman using the stock 3 spd. Had rear quarters put on it..patched front fenders and repaint in blue....sadly don't know if I have any pics of the car anymore...they would be film pics...I'll have to look.

Looking to get back into it. My buddy gave me the bug helping him build his 29 Model A street rod...Great car...totally custom everything from the 53 merc flathead to custom paint and graphics with inlaid gold leaf and custom guage pod and ostrich clad leather interior..

So...I am starting my research now...hopefully I will be able to try and find a body next year some time. I will be prepared to travel to wherever to look at vehicle and trailer home. I'm wanting to stay with a 66..maybe later 65...I like the 5 gauge cluster. The car will be a driver...Not daily mind you...but weekend cruiser...Maybe a mid week run to the office occasionally if the weather is nice.

The dream was 66 coupe, modern 4.6 3v 5 spd drivetrain, maybe supercharged.......I will just be too expensive from what I have found so far....And I will be on a budget of sorts...So reality is I am looking for a nice cruiser....66 coupe, 289, 4 spd....Maybe locate my car right on this board.

I like the idea of some of the new technology that has been developed for the front suspensions of the early mustangs. I saw one out there that replaces the strut rod connection with a plate and the lower control arm is a A arm that connect at 2 points. Not sure what something like that costs. I also saw the conversion that are done to fit the 4.6 and remove the shock towers. Since the 4.6 is off the table this would not be the way I would go...would look goofy with all that open space and the 289 in there. I would go with the hard strut rod setup that is adjustable and has no rubber bushings...saw that also.

So it should be a pretty easy build. I am hoping to get a relatively rust free car that is essentially complete and go from there. I can do the bulk of the work myself, I just don't want to have to rebuild the whole body with new panels.

Is this realistic?? Or do most of you believe I will end up replacing most of the outer body panels and floors in most any car I find?? I was planning on doing most of my looking for a body in TX or AZ...should be my best bet for getting a solid relatively rust free body...True?? Any other spots I should be looking.

Sorry so long...but excited to get back into it.

In and For Christ,
Glen
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM
passthrough

Huh...couldn't find a way to edit the post and fix a few typos...

Couple things I forgot...The 66 had 67 SS wheels...repros..but got the trim rings and center caps NOS from Ford....they were nice. It was sold a number of years ago after sitting in the garage and not getting driven for quite a period of time..maybe 2 years....I know...you don't have to say a word on that....I kept it up well and running great. But kids were young and we didn't have time for it....we had my wife's grandpa living with us at the time and he ended up scraping it once or twice getting stuff in and out of the garage...miss that car...shoulda hung on to it.

Glen
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

welcome
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Welcome
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Allow me to be one of the first to welcome you to mustangforums. Good luck with your restoration project.

Would you believe that I lost in week 1 of fantasy football to a woman? I certainly can't believe it. In fact, I got my butt kicked. It wasn't even very close. It seems very unlikely, but I can assure you that it did happen.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by redass02gt
Allow me to be one of the first to welcome you to mustangforums. Good luck with your restoration project.

Would you believe that I lost in week 1 of fantasy football to a woman? I certainly can't believe it. In fact, I got my butt kicked. It wasn't even very close. It seems very unlikely, but I can assure you that it did happen.
I am truly enjoying this.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:24 AM
akiba17
Not 100% a dick

Welcome!

Nice post Red

Last edited by akiba17; 09-12-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome..
Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Welcome. good luck with your project.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:18 PM
samolet
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to MF!