New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Looking to get 2011+ Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:21 AM
reddragonpryde

Default Looking to get 2011+ Mustang GT

Hello everyone! I think I am ready to pull the trigger and get a 2011+ Mustang GT mostly likely lightly used, but maybe new. I come from an Import background, I had a Civic with a engine swap and more mods in high school. I am now well out of college and want something more grown up. Now I have a Suzuki SV650 and a Chevy Silverado. The truck eats an insane amount of gas (13.2mpg avg last I checked) and isnt exactly fun to drive. I’ve done an insane amount of research, test drove a few and am pretty set on a the Mustang. I was also looking at the mazdaspeed3, the G37, and the Camaro 1LE. But with price and performance as the biggest factors I am leaning strongly towards a 2013+ Kona Blue GT Track Pack Premium. I do plan on some light modification, but nothing to crazy as it will be a daily driver. But I have a few questions. I appreciate any help in this, in all my research you guys seem to be way better than the other forums.

1) For a daily driver that probably won’t see the track (sorry i usually use two less wheels at the track) is the brembo brake package/track pack worth it? I care a lot about handling and ir seems like a good deal to me, but a little hard to find..
2) How practical is this beast for a daily driver? I plan on getting winter tires, and won’t be having kids for several years. What sort of real world mileage do you get? How is the maintenance/reliability.
3) When buying a slightly used mustang is there anything I should look out for besides the obvious (like no mods, no dings on the side etc)?
4) How is ford about transferring warranties?
5) Is there anything you wish you knew before you bought it?
6) Is there a really good resource for seeing the changes year to year and details about the packages/options. I've most everything I need to know scouring the internet, but one really good source would be nice.
7) My first thought when looking into a mustang gt was to put all the cool parts from a 302 or cobra on it, however people seem to do this more rarely than I would have thought, any reason for this? Im talking about the wheels, brakes, bumpers etc (I am not trying to make a fake cobra/302)

Thanks so much for the help I realize Im asking a ton here. Feel free to just answer a question.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums! post this in the appropriate section and you'll get tons of answers. GL!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM
ezpotato
1st Gear Member

I came from a civic, to a supercharged g35, to most recently a mazdaspeed3. Based on your list, I would say we have similar likes in cars. I got rid of the infiniti for the mazda speed, and got rid of that last week for the mustang gt 2012. I have NO regrets. A very different scene, but the car is just a blast.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 AM
ezpotato
1st Gear Member

sorry i wanted to add this to my previous post but figured i'd give you some impressions, now that i've had the mustang for a week, and i came from an import background.

1) I didnt get the brembo package, but i also love to track. I auto-x a lot, and i've heard the base brakes arent the best for super aggressive canyon carving/track use, but i think for a daily driver with occasional aggressiveness, i think they will be more than enough.

2) I specifically looked for certified preowned. I've found that Ford's certified process is very nice, and i trust it. Mine was slightly used, and they gave me a lot of new things, ie tires, mats, wipers, etc. I get about 16-17 in the city, and about 25-26 on the why, which is not bad for a v8. Doing 60 and on cruise, i can maybe get 26-27. Being that i have the warranty from the ceritified, i am not too worried about maintenance.

3) I always try to not buy cars with mods already on them. or have been modded. I also get under the hood to see around the intake, etc to see if it looks like it's been removed.

4) the one thing i wish i knew was all the different front ends and options and accessory packages. Also my gripes:

a. First gear is sometimes a little tough to shift into and sometimes i shift into 4th after it (but i'm getting used to it fast, and i am a seasoned manual driver)
b. cupholders. there's only 2 and they're so inconveniently in the way of the stick shift.
c. BT audio - i needed this, and it doesnt default to it eveyr time you turn your car on. so you have to scroll through a couple menus to play your music via bluetooth every time

petty things, but just thought you should know what i found a little odd.

5) I wish i could have found a 2013 for a good price, because those headlights and tail lights are so awesome. and little upgrades like that from a 2012.

6) pay attention to the packages that are on it. little things like ambient lighting, led's inside, bluetooth capabilities, etc may not be on your list of must haves, but you can find a package that includes all that, it makes it all a little sweeter in the long run to have some of these amenities.

Hope this helps, as I do a lot of car research before i buy a car and figured i'd throw in my thoughts.

Overall, i have NO regrets, besides my friends calling me a douche bag hahaha but they'll get over their import-centered minds.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:23 AM
reddragonpryde

Thanks so much for the help. Yeah I saw your thread with your other cars and it helped convience me. I guess i should post these questions elsewhere. Also does anyone have any hints for how to get a longer test drive/drive it on your own, all the salesmen i have dealt with have been just terrible.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:49 AM
ezpotato
1st Gear Member

both places I went to, they just took my licence, copied it, and gave me the keys. how old are you and what did you pull into the dealership in? and what were you wearing? I hate to say it, but that says a lot. Not all sales reps are judgmental like that, but it's a liability. Also, feel free to let them know you want to take it on the high way, and do a little longer test drive than just around the corner, most of the time if they know you're serious about buying, they have no issues with that.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM
reddragonpryde

I was dressed pretty good i thought, one time came right from work shirt and tie, the other time casual friday attire (nice shirt, dark jeans etc). Both times the salesmen were terrible, didnt know anything about the car, couldnt speak very well. One i asked what gear ratio the car had, his answer was six, another said the sync system is just like onstar and alerts people for crashes and nothing more. Pulled up in my 2003 silverado and im 28. At other dealerships, acura, infitniti, etc they have just given me the keys. I may request that next time, i just thought it was a werid ford thing.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:41 PM
ezpotato
1st Gear Member

i can tell yo ufirst hand with all the car salesmen i've dealt with, they're not knowledgable about specific things, ie gear ratios, etc. THey're more trained to close deals, and convince you you need these items. It's rare you'll get a gear head sales rep, most of those guys are in the parts dept or the shop. I would not rely on the sales rep to give you any info on the car, look at the sticker to see what packages you have on it if any, and research them on your own.

It could just be a crappy dealership, maybe go to another one?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM
96t-bird
5th Gear Member

Welcome. good luck with your search.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:43 AM
reddragonpryde

Thanks!

Also what section would i post questions about the buying a mustang process, just the S197 section? Like i want to know why new mustangs are so cheap, like cheaper then slightly used ones. I get dealerships have processing fees and bs, but so do a lot of used places, and the new one seem to be a 1-3 grand cheaper. I thought cars lost a ton of value when you drive them off the lot?

Quick Reply: Looking to get 2011+ Mustang GT