New Member Area Are you new to Mustang Forums? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Just bought a salvage 1999 mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:41 AM
Blissfulfapper

Default Just bought a salvage 1999 mustang GT

Just bought a salvage 1999 mustang GT. It's a 5 speed and looks to have some upgrades installed. It has rear drivers side damage. I think there are bent control arms for the drivers side rear wheel. I am going down to copart to pay for it tomorrow and to have it towed home. not sure if any of you have seen this car before. I am trying to find out what all upgrades have been done. I know the seats are not stock. I know the cold air intake isn't. looks like it has some kind of strut upgrades in the front s well going by the photos. I paid 1000 dollars for it plus fees so around 1500 dollars and it will cost another 200 dollars to have it towed to my location. When I start working on it I maybe asking you guys lots of questions.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:11 AM
Blissfulfapper

I had the mustang towed home yesterday. I didn't try to start it as the fuel pressure sensor is missing. Someone had NOS in the car and they took that stuff out. the bottle holder is still in the trunk. the switches for the NOS are unhooked. the car has a BBK throttle body and cold air intake. IT has some kind of upgraded K member installed. the valve covers a re summit racing that have been hydro dipped. the coils have been upgraded to some red ones I think they are the higher sparking ones, i didn't look for a brand name or part number. it has OE racing wheels, the front struts are upgraded but not sure what. I haven't jacked up the car as it's so muddy outside the jack will sink into the ground. I have to start doing body work soon. I didn't even get a chance to see what control arms need replaced in the rear. the pipe in the back is hanging down but it's just pulled out of the rubber holder. I just need to reattach it. there is a wiring mess in the dash were the wires for the NOS are. I may need to go thru and see what I an remove. I'm not planning on racing so I won't really need any of the NOS wires. I'm an 41 year old adult. In my younger years i may of thought about it. I am thinking the motor is built since they had NOS installed. but I wont know until I get it started. the bolts are also missing for the fuel pressure sensor. So i am thinking I am going to just go to the junk yard and look for something with the 4.6lt and getting the part and the bolts that go with it.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:18 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the forum! In addition to what you've already identified-

Yeah that cable at 4:29 is the clutch cable, and that blue bit is a firewall adjuster. I have a hunch you might also find an aluminum quadrant under the dash, which might also suggest an aftermarket high-stage clutch kit.

The sticker at 5:47 reads Granatelli Motorsports; those are their caster/camber plates.

I'm guessing that this is a salvage on account of the rear end hit? Definitely check those out those control arms & mounts when you get a chance. Hopefully the arms & bushings have taken the brunt of the damage. Also, I know you're not ready to fire it up yet, but as you get closer to that point, expect the fuel shut-off in the trunk to have been triggered.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 03-09-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Blissfulfapper

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
Welcome to the forum! In addition to what you've already identified-

Yeah that cable at 4:29 is the clutch cable, and that blue bit is a firewall adjuster. I have a hunch you might also find an aluminum quadrant under the dash, which might also suggest an aftermarket high-stage clutch kit.

The sticker at 5:47 reads Granatelli Motorsports; those are their caster/camber plates.

I'm guessing that this is a salvage on account of the rear end hit? Definitely check those out those control arms & mounts when you get a chance. Hopefully the arms & bushings have taken the brunt of the damage. Also, I know you're not ready to fire it up yet, but as you get closer to that point, expect the fuel shut-off in the trunk to have been triggered.
I was pricing the parts that I could see and someone put a lot of money into this car. More then the 1433 dollars i paid for it with fees.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:22 PM
Blissfulfapper

I went to a you pull it auto yard today and bought the fuel pump sensor it was missing. installed it and checked the switch in the trunk. it was triggered so i reset it. I push the clutch in and turn the key and the dash lights up but the starter does nothing. There was a engine start switch the past owner had installed but it was unhooked from the center console and laying in the passenger seat. there is a lot of wires in the center console as the past owner has NOS installed. so i am not sure if that is the issue. I tried all of the wires to see if any of them would engage the starter. nothing worked. it's to muddy outside or i would of jacked it up and jumped across the starter with a screw driver to see if the starter works. I am wondering if the guy who wrecked it burned the starter out trying to get it to start. or he just didn't care when he was removing his NOS and unhooked something to make that engine start switch work. I''d rather just use the stock turning the key start. He has some after market LED lights hooked up under the dash and I found a switch that turns them on. and some of his wiring i find sketchy as he has red wires hooked to the negative side. so he is using red for positive and negative wiring. Makes it hard to trouble shoot the stuff he has ran. No idea why he ran them directly to the battery as he could of grounded them to a screw or bolt under the dash.

The you pull it yard wanted 25 dollars for a tail light but I can get a new one on ebay for 27.50 with free shipping and the one the salvage yard had was scratched some. I put it back. I'm thinking I may need to wire a new switch for an engine start if the key way won't work.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Yikes, I don't know what's worse- the mud, or that wiring mess. What a pain! Fingers crossed that this car doesn't have too many unpleasant surprises up it sleeves.

Well, as you dig deeper into this thing, don't forget to stop by the Tech subforum. Good bunch of knowledgeable folk there to help answer any questions that come up.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:47 AM
Blissfulfapper

I did figure out the wiring issues. There was a white wire with a green strip on the passenger side under the hood that was cut. he had other wire running out of the area that he cut off when he had something else hooked up. after putting that back together then i was able to get the car to run with a screw driver over the contacts on the starter. Then I took the panel off under the steering column and found a white wire with a pink strip that was cut. half of it was hooked into that wiring mess of red wires. I spliced them back to were they originally belonged and now it will start with the key. Right now it's bad weather out again and it's to wet and muddy out to jack it up to start repairing the rear end or the control arms for the rear end. I also bought a 2002 mustang gt as a parts car so i have the rear end if i need it. once i get that taken care of then I will start on repairing the rear quarter panel. I will be parting out the 02 mustang. that one started without issue and the motor and the 5 speed manual are both in good shape. I will be selling them both since I don't need them. so if anyone is local to the pittsburgh area and needs a mustang 4.6lt or a 5 speed manual feel free to contact me. I am not wanting to ship them.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:02 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Not sure about the w/gn wire, but the w/pk one might have be for the clutch pedal position switch. I don't know anything about wiring nitrous, so I don't know if the clutch switch was being used as some sort of safety cut-off or something. Normally it's just there for starting the car, and for disengaging cruise control. I guess another possibility would be if they had spliced into that circuit for an aftermarket anti-theft system.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Blissfulfapper

The white green wire won't let the car run. i am thinking they used it as a safety kill switch. the pink white i am wonder if they were using that one with that engine start button i found. as that one goes up to the steering colum. There are still wires they have there that I want to remove. that are not hooked to anything anymore. not sure what they are spliced into. i need to find the other end and just remove them. We had snow last night and i am like really it's April and we are having snow in Pennsylvania? normally we would have some flowers blooming already. but not this year.