Obsessive Detail Your source for premier detailing products. We carry Poorboy's World, ClearKote, Optimum, Stoner, Lake Country, and Porter Cable.

Need help chosing pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 AM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Default Need help chosing pad

So basically my left borla stinger tip is really discolored and I have tried everything and I realized the only way it would come off is to use a rotary. I used a dremel with a small polishing pad and worked in some borla exhaust cleaner and that did the trick but obviously it wasn't big enough to do the entire tip.

I have a friend who works for a hardware store and can rent out a rotary took for me so I need a good pad I can use to tackle my discoloration problem. The rotary has a velcro surface so I need a velcro pad.

Basically I'm thinking I need the most aggressive pad (since it's all for car paint i'm sure the most aggressive one won't be too aggressive for an exhaust tip) that also doesn't absorb too much polish.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!,
Brandon
Old 04-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I would go with the Lake Country Purple Foamed pad. I use this on metal when it is really bad. It has more cut than foam pads and finishes off nicely.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Thanks,

Where can I get best get them? I don't see it on your site. Oh and since I am ordering a pad, I am soon gonna be glazing and waxing my car and I was thinking about using the rotary to apply the glaze. Do you think this will be safe? I've heard many horror stories of rotaries but I figured if I set it to the lowest setting and just constantly move it around to just spread the glaze, it should be ok?

What pad do you recommend for that?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I do have the Lake Country foam pads on the site. They are at the bottom of the buffer page and Lake Country page.

You can use the rotary to apply the glaze, just keep it at very low rpms. I would use the gray finishing pad to apply the glaze.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:53 PM
StriderTacticaL
4th Gear Member

Hmm....I see the gray finishing pad but a purple foamed wool pad but I thought that wool would be too soft for exhaust tips? I need the most abrasive pad
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StriderTacticaL
Hmm....I see the gray finishing pad but a purple foamed wool pad but I thought that wool would be too soft for exhaust tips? I need the most abrasive pad
Wool cuts a lot better than foam. It is actually more aggressive.