Obsessive Detail Your source for premier detailing products. We carry Poorboy's World, ClearKote, Optimum, Stoner, Lake Country, and Porter Cable.

Info on the Perfect Detail

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default Info on the Perfect Detail

Hey Juztang,

I ordered the Norinse and accessories from you awhile back and was extremely happy with the results. Of course, during my move, my sister stole all of my product for her own car, so I'm looking to start over. However, I'm getting more interested in car shows, so I'm looking for that perfect shine and detail look now. I also live in an apartment, so water is not easily accessible. I've already looked over the threads in the detailing section. The 101 thread was very helpful, but I'm still hunting for information. I'm looking into getting the whole she-bang as far as more no-rinse for the wash, clay, polishes, an orbital, and wax. I'm also in need of a good set of cleaners for the engine bay.

What would you suggest for all of these? I'm also looking for a "methods" type of instruction since I'm not finding any great ones on the forums if you could help out.

And at the end, I have a few scratches and chips on my hood and roof (will take pics this afternoon). I was wondering if it's easy or hard to get this stuff out with touch-up paint when doing a detail? They're fingernail catchers and the chip is about half a dime sized.

Sorry I'm not being too informative, but hopefully pics will clear this all up later. Also, do you offer a military discount in conjunction with the forums? =P

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I would start out washing the car with No Rinse like you usually do. Then I would claybar the whole vehicle, you won't believe what the clay will pull out of your paint. I carry a nice big 8 oz. claybar that will last you for a long time.

Next, you are ready to polish. You can do this by hand, but you are only going to be able to get light scratches and swirls out. I recommend going with a Porter Cable kit. I really recommend going with my Optimum/Porter Cable kit. This comes with the Optimum Medium Polish and then you step down the the Optimum Polish to finish it out. This will make a night and day differnce on your paint.

For wax you can go with a liquid wax or one of my high end carnauba paste waxes. The liquid waxes like my OD Wet Wax or Surf City Garage Barrier Reef Carnauba waxes look really good, but my Wet Obsession or Dodo Juice paste waxes will make it look very deep and wet looking.

For the engine bay, you want to use an All Purpose Cleaner first. You spray this on the engine and let it dwell for a few minutes and then lightly hose off. For more stubborn areas you want to use a brush to agitate with. You can't go wrong with my OD APC or Optimum Power Clean, both work great. Now you want to spray on a dressing to keep everything looking good and protected. Most of my customers use my Silk Shine Dressing for this.

For chips and scratches, I would get some touchup paint for those. You want to put on thin multiple layers, you are basically building the paint back up.

I've been offering military a 15% discount on products and accessories. The only things this will count for is buffer kits or package deals since they are already discounted. I will give an additional $10 of the Porter Cable packages though.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Justin