Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

What Brand of Oil and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 05:43 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Mobil1, Royal Purple, and any name brand

Mobil1 in my Camaros and Mustangs.

When I was getting my Ramcharger ready for a long trip, I took it to a garage my parents use and just asked for an oil/filter/lube and transmission and differentials... and he used royal purple. Cant say I really noticed any difference, still used as much oil as before. But that engine had 200K on it, and really drank the oil before. But generally just use any name brand dino-oil in it.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:09 PM
russ98stang
2nd Gear Member

Fram Is Horrible!!! Do Not Use In The 4.6. It Will Starve The Top End.

Castrol GTX conventional oil with a motorcraft filter. Your waisting your money with synthetics unless your racing your engine all the time, but if your doing that, you should be worring about other things. But it's all personal choice, just do not use Fram oil filter.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by russ98stang
Fram Is Horrible!!! Do Not Use In The 4.6. It Will Starve The Top End.

Castrol GTX conventional oil with a motorcraft filter. Your waisting your money with synthetics unless your racing your engine all the time, but if your doing that, you should be worring about other things. But it's all personal choice, just do not use Fram oil filter.
What about people that want extended drain intervals or better lubrication on cold starts or better oil shear stability or a good cleaning inside the engine?
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverNGrey4.6s
What about people that want extended drain intervals or better lubrication on cold starts or better oil shear stability or a good cleaning inside the engine?
amen!
I love my extended drain intervals, not to mention my car runs a bit cooler on the synthetic.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

This info is very upseting, I just changed my oil 2 weeks ago with mobile 1 synthetic but I used a fram oil filter. Is this filter really that bad, should I change my oil?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

No, I would just change it out on your next oil change. But if your really worried about it just change the filter now and top off the oil.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
NoGo95GT
4th Gear Member

I run Walmart's SuperTech synthetic in my supercharged Mustang and Mobil 1 full synthetic in my bolt-on DD mustang. They both work good
Old 09-23-2009, 10:30 AM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

It's like this... run the oil that you like and works best for YOU. Change the oil and filter when you are supposed to...keep up with that and you'll have minimum problems.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...I have heard horror stories about every type of oil and filter out there, so pick what works for you and keep to it. As cheap made as they are, I've had friends run FRAM filters all of their lives without one problem; I don't personally run but I know ones that have without problems.

I like Redline, Amsoil, and Royal Purple. I like my Redline but I haven't had any problems with the others. My dad uses Mobil 1 and my mom uses Castrol Syntec and non of us have had problems (we parked my mom's '89 GT with 300,000+ miles it).

It was about a year ago, but on Speed TV one of the shows did a Dyno run of R.P. vs Mobile 1 and the Royal Purple gave the cay an extra 1 h.p. at the wheels...I don't know why but it did.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:31 AM
SuperHoss
2nd Gear Member

Double post...my bad
Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FixFalcon
FRAM makes special filter for synthetic oil?

I use Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic along with a Valvoline filter mostly because I get it free however, it is damn good oil. I have 96,300 ABUSIVE miles on my GT, and it doesn't burn any oil, and has no leaks.
The filter has synthetic-based media. got a good chuckle out of that one ;-)

Quick Reply: What Brand of Oil and Why?