Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

A little info on Valvoline 's 300k guarantee

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Shimrra

you sir, hit the nail on the head.

the only oil i badmouth to anyone who will listen is quakerstate.
i have varnish on my parts so thick it's funny (bought the engine to rebuild), quakerstate ruined allot of stuff. my hyd lifters no longer did anything, they were frozen. not filled up from not chageing oil, frozen with varnish to the point of sitting in partswash for 4 months has not helped. they locked up in the middle of the bore too.
not to mention it REEKS like someone laid a turd under each valve cover, it actually made a fellow classmate dryheave =D
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
There are alot of good points brought up in here. Gotta give a thumbs up for very little bashing. However, us and forum members of similiar cars dont hesitate to do the work ourselves. I feel the warranty Valvoline offers is quite worthless for the points already mentioned. I dont think they will even pay ONE claim with it.

Here's something to ponder. I own a repair shop. I could buy the cheap oil, but I dont. My shop is dressed in Valvoline colors. I buy Valvoline in bulk for the oil changes. I use Amsoil in my personal cars. I change the oil in them at a mileage I am comfortable with.
When people ask me when they should change their oil because the manuals all say 6-7500mi, I say "It depends on your driving demands and the vehicle you drive. 3000 mi isnt necessary anymore, but if thats where your comfort level is, thats fine. Continue with what makes you comfortable. An oil change is cheap insurance for peace of mind knowing it's being taken care of." I dont lie. I dont make crap up. I'm honest about it. When a person asks that question, they are usually people that rack up miles quickly. Business travelers, long commuters, etc. So we start by going up in 1000mi increments, to a point where the oil is getting ugly. I realize color is not indicative of oil life and say so. However, when an oil analysis is $20, and an oil change is $20-30. What are you really saving? All shops dispose of it properly, or burn it for heat like I do. So the environment issue is moot, unless you only refer to the DITY's. But since all I see is people who hate spending money on their cars unless there is a problem that prevents them from driving it, it may be easier for all of you DITY's to understand how it would be hard to let go of that 3-5,000mi oil change/inspection interval. People depend on me, and other shops to let them know when problems are on the horizon. Whether or not other shops recommendations are legit or not, I cannot say. I know I have had plenty of people over the years that come in saying "This other place said I need something done" only to find out they were lying.
Getting back on track. My wifes car gets its oil changed every 8-10,000mi. She has a much longer drive than I do. Mustang gets changed twice a year. I change my van every 5,000mi. I only drive 2 miles each way to my shop. The oil gets disgusting in it. But then, every Caravan 3.3 or 3.8 is the same way. When those vans are here, I let them drain until they drip. If the plug goes in too soon, it almost doesnt look like it was changed.
All of us here, have a love of cars. The other 95% of the population looks at a car as an appliance. Spending money on it seems like a sin. And when it starts to break, thoughts of a new one start to creep in, even though the repair may be minor. They would rather pay for a new car....again....instead of fixing what they have. Weird. But only understandable if the car is a turd.
good post !
I could crunch numbers with some of the 3 "extended drain interval" oils and come out spending less than the Valvoline. and some of those companys also put their $$ where their mouth is, but I'm feeling a bit lazy, maybe another time.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
good post !
I could crunch numbers with some of the 3 "extended drain interval" oils and come out spending less than the Valvoline. and some of those companys also put their $$ where their mouth is, but I'm feeling a bit lazy, maybe another time.
Money can be saved by extending the drain intervals as far as you will do the math for. No doubt. Especially for OTR trucks with high capacity systems. But, the main thing I was trying to get across is that 95% of the public will NOT do this. Paying twice as much for an oil change, RIGHT NOW, is all people see. They have a very hard time comprehending the idea of spending more now to save money over the long haul. Tires are a prime example. I gets many calls everyday for tire quotes. My first question is, "Are you looking for something in particular, or do you want the least expensive tire available?" 80% of the time, price is the prevailing answer. People will run and hide from a $90 tire over a $70 tire that will ride and handle better, and last longer. I have shown quite a few people the wisdom of buying for quality instead of price, and they thanked me for it after noticing the difference. All that most people truly seem to comprehend is what they are spending NOW.

Thats the difference between car guys, and car owners.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:20 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT

Thats the difference between car guys, and car owners.
Exactly