Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

New Product From Pennzoil

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

Man, I guess I'm really old school. Used Pennzoil forever. Change oil and filter, both, every 33,333 miles. Always done it myself. Never had a problem. Sure I know the improved oils can go longer, and the engines have much more precision. For me, it's as much the idea of getting under the car, making sure everything is right, nothing is leaking or dripping, or anything looks loose or worn. This way, say you had a head gasket with a little leak, getting some water in the oil, or something like that, you'd figure it out much sooner, and maybe save some major damage in the long run. Even these old oils have been proven for years, if you take car of about any car engine today, you should easy get 150-200 thousand miles with out any problem. Tinkering around with this regular maintenance if half the fun of having a cool car, at least for me.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:09 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Old school or not, more is better than not enough and it's only money, right? I've been doing my own oil changes for over 35 years on over a dozen vehicles, most of which I ran dino in, changed it every 3,000-4,000 miles and ran those engines beyond 200,000 miles with no issues. But I was also trained in oil analysis years ago and have used blends and full syns over the years and have had many more engines break the 200,000 on these oils based on 7,000 mile changes for the blends and 10,000 mile changes for the full syns. I'd probably go beyond 10,000 miles with the Amsoil in the Stang if I was putting that mileage on in under a year. I'm a believer, even though I'm over 50 and old school, too.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by baddog671
My situation is special. I can get Mobil1 5w20 oil, and M1 filters for free.
WOW! They have to give it away now? Kidding

do tell the secret...

Also, nice post Nuke. I've seen some guys running AMSOIL up to two years due to the lack of miles. You may try 18 months to get more miles out of your fill, but at under 100.00 a year....it's worth changing once a year.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 07-27-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:50 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

My father owns a maintanence shop, and carries Mobil1 products among other brands. I use the filters becuase they are free and don´t feel like paying 17$ for an Amsoil one, but buy Amsoil oil becuase it´s the best....so they say. It was like 68$ I think, but I do it myself and 10k miles is plenty
Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As a preferred member, I now pay $41.60 for 6 qts of their 0W20 ASM oil and $13.15 for their Ea filter. Whenever I order oil for the Stang I also buy oil for marine and yard equipment. I can't recall what the shipping is but it's of no major concern at the moment. I may change from the synthetic blend I'm using in the g/f's V6 Pony to full syn since her driving environment and usage has changed. But my SUV may warrant a look at the Pennzoil in lieu of the current M1 EP.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:42 AM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I've been using Amsoil in the Stang and received notice of a price increase right after receiving my last 6 quarts of oil which I'll be putting in it in the next few weeks. That gives me another 6-12 months to get more input on the Ultra since I, too, am not happy with the price of Amsoil, even with my discount. I may even swap the SUV/tow vehicle over from M1 if the data supports it.
You know that price increase is 30 cents right?

Not a big enough reason for me to use a lower quality product in my car.

IIRC the prices were up there a few years ago and the prices of the base stocks went down so they "lowered" the prices a little.

so now they are back where they were in late 2008

I am surprised this thread has not been moved to the "oil" forum.

Last edited by ShadyNinja; 07-28-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShadyNinja
I am surprised this thread has not been moved to the "oil" forum.
Would you STOP reading my mind! I would like to have a thought all by myself for once!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:17 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Ask and ye shall receive!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 AM
nascrchi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
This guy has his head on right, high five!

Although, assuming you got 15K out of every change, your total investment for 100,000 miles would only have been $567.00

10,000 miles at every change would have only been $850.00
seems like you know what you're talking about when it comes to oil.

What is TBN?How can I read if the oil is good or bad technically? For example the label on food for calories and such. Is there a website? To see how long th eadditives last and such.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:31 PM
DreamerGT
5th Gear Member

TBN is the oils' ability to neutralize acid. The higher the number the better. There is no sure way of telling how long the additives will last. Way to many variables like the type of engine its condition, and your driving style and the even the weather conditions you drive in. Best thing to do it get you oil tested. Like at http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ they tell you how your oil is doing, and if you can run it longer. Go here if you want to see the "food labels of oil" lol http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=11&page=1

Quick Reply: New Product From Pennzoil