Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Fuel System Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 02:06 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

No, Techron is added to the gas tank. It merely cleans the fuel-injectors...
Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Ok. Well I'm looking for something to remove the burnt oil from the intakes and injectors. Just learning about the oil separator makes me think I've been spiting trash in the intake and need to get my engine cleaned out.

I have been running mobil1 extended performance since 30k and change it out every 10k. I'll be hitting 70k in a month or so.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:18 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
You're a dummy, that's a V6.
HAHA... I got distracted by the rims and dual exhaust tips that I didn't even notice that... I am a dummy...

Don
Old 02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
X07TorchStangX

Well it certainly sounds like there is a lot of mixed reviews over the cleaner. I do agree that if your using the highest octane that you can there might not be a need for any cleaner at all. But I would think at one point there would be some kind of build up that the cleaner would take care of. Redline and Techron have gotten my attention but it seems seafoam is the best out of them all. Also I heard bk 44 isn't too bad either if anyone has used it. Still something to think about

Old 02-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As I stated earlier, I use Techron on a regular basis at about 10k mile intervals for preventive maintenance and SeaFoam if I'm having a performance issue. I use both strictly as a fuel additive. Unless I have an extreme problem, I don't use ANY additives in the crankcase or vacuum lines.

In over 1,200,000 miles and about 10 cars, I've only added something to the crankcase besides motor oil and that was Rislone; both times for a sticky lifter issue. ANY additive to the crankcase should be ran for a short duration (within 500-1000 miles, tops) before doing an oil change.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I was skeptical of using seafoam until I changed the plugs in my car. I think seafoaming the engine really saved me from breaking any plugs in half. It dissolved a LOT of the carbon off of the plugs. Anyone without an aftermarket crankcase breather is going to have all sorts of oil going back into the intake and solidifying on the intake valves along with whatever impurities in the fuel system that don't evaporate when hitting the top of the intake valve during injection. I would not recommend putting seafoam in the crankcase, but I would say that you should put 2/3 of a can in your gas tank, and suck the other 1/3 through your brake booster line into your engine. It won't make your engine spotless, but should at least clean some of that crap off of your CMCV plates, intake runners, intake ports, and intake valves which will help volumetric efficiency.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
In over 1,200,000 miles and about 10 cars

Rick how old did you say you were?
Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

55 years young.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jahudso2
I was skeptical of using seafoam until I changed the plugs in my car. I think seafoaming the engine really saved me from breaking any plugs in half. It dissolved a LOT of the carbon off of the plugs. Anyone without an aftermarket crankcase breather is going to have all sorts of oil going back into the intake and solidifying on the intake valves along with whatever impurities in the fuel system that don't evaporate when hitting the top of the intake valve during injection. I would not recommend putting seafoam in the crankcase, but I would say that you should put 2/3 of a can in your gas tank, and suck the other 1/3 through your brake booster line into your engine. It won't make your engine spotless, but should at least clean some of that crap off of your CMCV plates, intake runners, intake ports, and intake valves which will help volumetric efficiency.
Alright, so if I do it this way, do I still need to do an oil change once that tank of gas is gone?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:57 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

No, if you don't pour it in your oil filler neck, then you won't have to change your oil.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Cleaner