Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Walmart put in over 6 quarts on my lube.. bad news!<<<

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:51 AM
GTtony
1st Gear Member

Sniff, sniff I smell..... Anyways the only reason a right minded person goes to Walmart, is to be ignored by the employees or tp recieve lousy customer service. Case in point last Thursday i went there to purchase 6qts (yes i typed 6) of oil and a oil filter. all walmart had on the shelf was the cheap *** oil filter that dosn't work well with synth oil. I complained and the supervisor told me: 'What do you want me to do about it, if i don't like my selection go somewhere else."

So i did. Now someone tell me why the hell would i let those idiots touch my ride.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Would the OP please find out what DTC it was? That is the most important fact at this time.

IMO, Walmart did nothing wrong if 6 quarts were poured in the crank case.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by dvs_03gt
Well maintained, lightly driven 2003 stock ford mustang gt. threw me an ses light under 600 miles of an oil change.... my mechanic told me for a blown piston ring in cylinder 4. I guess the over filling of oil cause higher compression than normal. NOW WHAT? Are they liable 100%? Where should I start, I have an open claim under investigation.

Can anyone point me in any similar direction of stories or problems with them? Any tips info is greatly appreciated. THX -Dev
uuuhhhh, no. Find a new mechanic or stop trying to make shiz up to get a new engine (you're horrible at it).

1) As already stated there is no CEC (check engine code) that says "Blown Piston" or anything even close to that.

2) Oil has nothing to do with compression (basic engine mechanics 101 there).

3) Oil + filter = 6+ quarts easy.

4) Overfilling (7+ quarts) might cause a seal leak in extreme caess or some blow-by (smoke) but it will not blow a piston ring. (again basic engine mechanics 101 there)

5) Isn't the #4 cyclinder (passenger side closest to firewall) the one that is known for failure of the spark plug as in it gets blown out most often in that cylinder?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:34 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRad405
Well really google search it maybe someone posted a similar complaint.

But in reality why didn't you check the dipstick after you brought it there.
in reality.. Who checks there oil when they bring there car in for an oil change, isnt that why the customer brings the car in? in this case the person driving the vehicle didnt know to check the oil after the change.

Originally Posted by BraMas
how much over filled? I put 7qts in mine every change. There is a thread on SVTP where someone proved you can put like 9qts in the 4.6 pan with no problems. My point being I think your mechanic might be wrong
hmm with no problem on stock block? in this case somewhere in the ballpark of 10+ quarts

Originally Posted by 03greyGT
How much over 6 quarts did they put in? Cause on my 03 GT the book calls for 6 quarts of oil...
10+ ~

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
A jiffy lube did a similar thing to my uncles protege. There was nothing he could really do to fix it. It's probably going to be pretty difficult to prove that putting in a little more oil caused your #4 cylinder to lose compression. If you can find some way to prove it maybe you could threaten a lawsuit but who knows. Either way, I wish you good luck and hopefully you get it sorted out.
I hope to find a solution. Well the oil started coming up the spark plugs slightly and even said to have broken seals on heads? bottom end? etc

Originally Posted by kast1376
My 04 calls for the same. As far as I know the pan is the same for 99-04, the only reason they called for more was to prevent oil starvation in certain maneuvers. I think that the cylinder failure was just a coincidence.
coincidence? explain further please!

Originally Posted by TOMMY01GT
"Blew a piston ring"

I dont buy that for a second, you dont blow a piston ring, sorry.

What was the code for?

A broken ring or damaged piston would result in large amount of oil bypassing the rings and coming out the back, fouled plug, etc...

Sounds like someone wants to get into the engine in a big way. Drain the oil, put in 6q, reset the computer...drive the darn thing.
tommy, this is what i was told.. possible a blown piston (ring?) in cylinder 4. due to high compression caused by too much oil. "the piston ring could possibly be good" in quote. please help with further input if possible. also the code was for cylinder 4 ,, it was;p0354 (with a new cop and spark plugs and wire check, etc) If I am not mistaken I was told oil was coming up through the plugs and even dripping down the bottom end.... thanks again guys -dev

Last edited by dvs_03gt; 08-06-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Don't know about the rest of you, however I am going to stop feeding this one...
Old 08-06-2011, 11:00 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

reading further, some of you should be ashamed of yourselves for your mentality and comments. anyways.... (im back) negativity is plainly - negative, rid of it your way better off and i hope some of your learn something from me saying that.

Originally Posted by uberstang1
This thread...........is full of redicilous fail. For one, why would you EVER take your car to walmart for an oil change. 2. putting in 6 quarts of oil will not damamge the motor whatsoever, like bramas said you can run an easy 7 or 8 quarts without a problem. 3. there is no check engine lite that says "bad or blown piston ring". 4. If you did blow a ring its not because of the oil change. 5. Even if you did blow the ring, your dead in the water as far as trying to blame walmart goes. 6. Your mechanic is one of two things, an idiot or a scam artist.
^^ wow... well US1 the car was taken there as a convenience for an employee of the corporations shopping day, check cashing and oil change. (maintained since 2003 by terrible s but new job, new opportunities, etc) next secondly as youd say, there wasnt the normal 6 quarts there was more like 10+. Next I didnt say a SES light said that, my mechanic said that (in short) my ses light said code p0354. Dead on blaming walmart? a court can subpoena video surveillance etc. I will let me mechanic know, can he email you back personally and where??

Originally Posted by JRad405
^I was trying to not point out the issue with bringing a car to walmart.

All you probably have is one no oil if the oil blew out. If you did lose the oil, you will see that crap sprayed all over the car somewhere. In which case you probably have a blown seal in that area. Your check engine came on probably because your oil pressure just shot straight down. I know because I had oil blow out of my car once too.

Why don't you tow the car to another mechanic. $100 bucks to save probably a **** load in labor for work you don't need.
no there is plenty of oil. so bump back out of the thread with this plz ^^ the car has been checked by 3 mechanics and a compression test has been done to show cyl 4 (fail as i have been explained)

Originally Posted by Crazycarnut
My ex girlfriend got a new motor in her ride because she made it 25 miles from walmart with no oil before her motor locked up.
sad to hear. thanks for thoughts... how did claims go? etc?

Originally Posted by OhEightGT
Yeah... Walmart is NOTORIOUS for utterly destroying cars. That being said, honestly you'll have a hell of a time proving walmart is liable for anything to do with overfilling a motor. That just doesn't happen. It will ALWAYS come down to you being responsible for verifying the work they did before you even accept the car back. The only time I've ever seen a oil change place actually held liable for damage was when my dad took his Dodge Cummins to a lube shop, they didn't put ANY oil in (somehow forgot I guess...) and the motor seized before they even pulled it around. Pretty obvious in that scenario who's fault it was. But one like yours is not so cut and dry. For all a court will know you read the stick wrong and added more. Not saying Walmart isn't responsible, but you'll never get a judgement against them, and if you do, you'll spend more than it's worth anyway. At any rate your mechanic is wrong about some key things, as others have already pointed out. Take it to someone else for another opinion.
IMO I do own oil... in this situation it sucks one of my vehicle had to be damaged like this. normal people (non mechanical) dont check there oil after they go to a shop to have it done, thats what weirds me out by some of your thoughts. anyways thanks for your story any more technical factors you could explain other than ^^?? spend more than its worth? I have not spent a dollar on anything yet, they are doing there investigation and I am doing mine. In the end trust me I will keep whoever is up too speed updated. Second opinions are in progress....

Originally Posted by Repzard
This thread is a epic fail !!! and this story that WM caused it is BS !!!

Sounds like someone wants a new motor on walmarts expense to me.

Just my 2
raised by who??anyways back to the point. id buy a new motor before id waste my time with something this stupid.

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
i also do 6 qts per change....
thats whats proper.

Originally Posted by 945LSTANG
The OP has a serious problem on his hands regardless of who was at fault. No need to be an *** about it.

Just my .02
some people left in this world with dignity ..... ty

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I'm still trying to figure out what Wal Mart did wrong?
They put in the 6 quarts that the book calls for.
yeah either 6 plus what was in there or something like a fresh new 10~ investigation is pending....

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Like uberstang, I want to know what DTC indicates a "bad or blown piston ring"?
where did i write this =/???????

Originally Posted by supermario
Walmart put a dent in my bronco during an oil change and denied it and argued with me. I kept coming back so they could fix it but kept gettin the run around! In the end they got away with it! Funny thing is, the dent area had a huge handprint with oil on it but they said they didn't do it!! I had a friend who engine went out becus jiffy lube didn't put enough oil in it and they got away with it also! Yu never win anyplace you go. Perhaps that's why people take their cars to dealers only!
you should have had it proved and followed through. all in all walmart should do an oil change properly its not the name that matters. everyone and there walmart excuse. back in the day (or some places) you drive up they do your oil and you leave all while you sit in your car. or you do it yourself at home, depending on the factors.. anyways its a basic job. there wasnt a custom forged block from walmart being installed guys... it was an oil change in a city of over 120 deg. F where a lot of people do these things, and basic techs should be able to handle this.

Originally Posted by GTtony
Sniff, sniff I smell..... Anyways the only reason a right minded person goes to Walmart, is to be ignored by the employees or tp recieve lousy customer service. Case in point last Thursday i went there to purchase 6qts (yes i typed 6) of oil and a oil filter. all walmart had on the shelf was the cheap *** oil filter that dosn't work well with synth oil. I complained and the supervisor told me: 'What do you want me to do about it, if i don't like my selection go somewhere else."

So i did. Now someone tell me why the hell would i let those idiots touch my ride.
sad attitude, anyways read ^^

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Would the OP please find out what DTC it was? That is the most important fact at this time.

code p0354

IMO, Walmart did nothing wrong if 6 quarts were poured in the crank case.
Originally Posted by Derf00
uuuhhhh, no. Find a new mechanic or stop trying to make shiz up to get a new engine (you're horrible at it).

1) As already stated there is no CEC (check engine code) that says "Blown Piston" or anything even close to that.

2) Oil has nothing to do with compression (basic engine mechanics 101 there).

3) Oil + filter = 6+ quarts easy.

4) Overfilling (7+ quarts) might cause a seal leak in extreme caess or some blow-by (smoke) but it will not blow a piston ring. (again basic engine mechanics 101 there)

5) Isn't the #4 cyclinder (passenger side closest to firewall) the one that is known for failure of the spark plug as in it gets blown out most often in that cylinder?
horrible entrance to your comment but thanks for further inpute on step 4. id like too see what the inside looks like in the end, and down the road ill let you know what exactly it was... lets hope it is just a bad seal and overfilled oil, since that is what your stating for mechanics 101.

as for the rest of your spew...... i have my own vehicles and this is just one of my toys, grow up on your theory of me tryin to scam a motor, ill buy a few crates for myself, but i have other realistic goals

Last edited by dvs_03gt; 08-07-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
dvs_03gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Don't know about the rest of you, however I am going to stop feeding this one...
????????
Old 08-07-2011, 12:30 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

The fact is, even a grossly overfilled engine will blow the easier stuff out first, like the crank seals, valve covers, etc....also you would be experiencing a drastic drop in power/rpm, and be experiencing massive oil leaks and consumption.

You may have experienced ring or piston failure,,,due to something totally unrelated to the oil change.

I changed the oil in my lawn mower once, it ran 5 minutes and puked a rod through the block for no reason that I could find and Im a certified small engine tech with 7 years experience.

But to say the engine blew a piston ring, its a completely "pulled it out my ****" kind of diagnostic statement. You dont blow a ring, its not something that can happen, a ring can break, or the piston crown can melt or break and expose the top ring...due to detonation.

If you have a bad head gasket and water leaks into a cylinder while it's sitting, and you crank it, you can kink a rod or shatter a piston...but you wont "blow" a ring.

Id find a different mechanic, when people start throwing up comments like blown ring and want to tear into the engine...its a big red flag.

I was told my car had a blown head gasket when I bought it, guy said it was leaking water, making a hissing sound and had a dead miss....And he was a mechanic.

The water leak was from the A/C.....

The hiss was the blown out spark plug in the #2 cylinder, which also explained the miss.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

if you had 10+ qts I would bet they forgot to drain old oil out and just added new oil to the old oil. shop tech probably got distracted by a 300# hotty walking by
Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

I wanna know how this pans out...

Quick Reply: Walmart put in over 6 quarts on my lube.. bad news!<<<