Oil and Oil Related Topics A place to post your oil related questions and comments

Oil prices. Walmart is over $20 cheaper!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I beleive the walmart blend thing is totally myth, and oil company wouldnt pt their reputation on the line for walmart to sell cheaper.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
ITALIANO66669
2nd Gear Member

i get my motorcraft oil free.it helps that i work at ford dealer.i left the shop for about a year and started having to buy oil and filters and i noticed how damn expensive it is for this crap.i was buying motorcraft from walmart and then i went back to the shop.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by ITALIANO66669
i get my motorcraft oil free.it helps that i work at ford dealer.i left the shop for about a year and started having to buy oil and filters and i noticed how damn expensive it is for this crap.i was buying motorcraft from walmart and then i went back to the shop.
Good contributation to the thread.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:32 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Well, I've looked over a few things while I've been running errands while I'm home on break. Everything that I can find that is walmart specific does indeed have a different product number, such as stereos, pointed out by the person who took one apart. That said, my local autozone doesn't carry 5w-20 5 QT Mobil 1 jugs for whatever reason, but I did compare the 1 quart bottles. They did have the same product number.

So if that means anything, I really agree with uberstang. I doubt an oil company would put out a bad product just for walmart.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Actually its not all that bad, Auto parts stores always run specials, and just a few days ago I got 5.1 jug of full synthetic Valvoline and my favorite K&N wrench off oil filter for $32 + change. They were willing to swap their oil filter that was on special with the one I wanted to use. Pretty hard to complain about that
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HxCGuitars
I went to walmart recently and stopped in the oil section, and Mobil 1 now has "Recycle your oil at walmart" on it. Found that interesting.

From what I've read, it seems this is just an old rumor. Anyone else know anything about this whole "walmart blend?" It's just been sitting in the back of my head lately. I find it difficult to believe that companies would risk putting their name on something inferior to their product.
Was at Walmart Sunday and I noticed the large jugs of oil from the other manufacturers say "Recycle your oil at Walmart" too.

Are all the oil manufacturers secretly making special blends for Walmart?
Awfully hard to buy into that rumor.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

I don't think the oil is any different at Wal Mart than anywhere else. They buy in greater volumes, so the price is cheaper.

However, lets say this. What if the blend of Mobil 1 @ Wal Mart contains a larger concentration of highly refined petroleum to water down the true synthetic PAO in the blend? Say an extra 10%....no one would ever notice that, and Exxon Mobil would save a fortune to supply the retailer giant while still granting their reduced buying prices.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...y_Walmart.aspx

Now they would not only be laying their reputation on the line, but they would be guilty of fraud since they have stated on theor website it is the same oil.

Not going to happen.

Last edited by JRC702; 01-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRC702
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...y_Walmart.aspx

Now they would not only be laying their reputation on the line, but they would be guilty of fraud since they have stated on theor website it is the same oil.

Not going to happen.
How are you going to prove it if they were? lol

The Q&A on Mobil's website is well orchestrated and rehearsed. The tech support team has a script book to read from, and they are only allowed to answer questions a certain way, and with certain detail.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:35 PM
FormlessGT
1st Gear Member

Does Wal-mart not carry Royal Purple?

Quick Reply: Oil prices. Walmart is over $20 cheaper!