Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Change of plans!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 05:34 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Default Change of plans!!!

Ok i was out last night in the stang and partying with some buddies and got to thinking that the nitrous kit i have on the way is just too small and not worth the time or money.

So what i did was called SUMMIT at 3:38 AM this morning and changed my order now instead of the sneaky pete i have the EDL-70001 which is designed for a carb and has the 10 pound bottle and all the stuff i need and is adjustable from 50-75-100 shot.

But my new question is do i need a seperate fuel delivery system?Like an electric pump?Also is this a dry,or wet system?And what will i need to do to the motor to prep everything?I have an idea ill run by you guys and you see if im on the right track i think i can use the mechanical pump to feed the carb and if needed (DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF SYSTEM THIS IS) get an electric pump to feed the nitrous/fuel mixture needed to not go lean.

Sound about right?I am a first time nitrous user so anything you can tell me about this new setup im going with including if its a wet or dry setup and how i need to go about PROPERLY and SAFELY setting this up.I only plan to start off with a 50 shot so that i can ease into this and learn as much as possible.

All info and opinions welcomed and wanted [8D]
Old 04-25-2004, 05:50 PM
jeep45238
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Change of plans!!!

Only a 100 shot? Dude.....grow some *****, lol. A stock saturn can take 75 for years before blowin .

You shouldn't need a seperate fuel system, but it wouldn't hurt to toss in a bigger pump.

I can't tell you if it's a wet or dry by the parts numbers, but if it comes with two silinoids (one for juice, one for gas) and an extra stainless line, it's a wet kit.

If you ordered a dry, cancel it now and get a wet kit.

Also, do the smart thing and don't go tossin on nitrous down low or way up high in the rpm ranges, or do your goal shot immediately. Start off low (say, 35-50 shot) and wean your motor up to the higher power goal. Do NOT spray below 2500 (a lost of guys shoot at 3000 just to have a buffer) or at/above redline, motor damage can occur in both instances (meaning cracked blocks/internals, forged or not).
Old 04-25-2004, 05:53 PM
HRnB
Administrator

Good choice GM. EDL is a much more upgradable system and a great product. A few of the guys in my club have them and commented on how complete they are. After you get it you can start up grading as your needs change. IE: Bottle opener, bottle warmer guages, it's alot more fun when you buy something because you know why and what you want it for than just buying something because you hear you should have it, if you know what I mean.....if that makes sense to you.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:24 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Yeah i hear you guys.

But i wasnt going to go juiced but a buddy and i just completed his 408 with about every hipo Gm part availible.

The motor was prepped for circle track racing and it is BAD ***!

The shop he bought all the parts from is a local shop thats been into it for years and supposedly with the world heads and all the other goodies he has it is good for well over 475 and i got in it the other day and i about **** at how mean it was!I thought my stang had torque!

And as you all know if i let a camaro kick my *** i couldnt be a GmKiller.lol

I have been interested in nitrous a while now hot rods but i have been steered clear by the horror stories i have heard.And i know everything else and can build motors all day long but cant beyond telling you how nitrous functions and what it does i cant tell you how to set it up or anything like that.I have a good idea but i am not positive.

I like the fact that the edelbrock comes with everything at once instead of peice by peice buying it.Hell a 10 pound bottle is almost 200 bucks alone!

But from the looks and sounds of it guys this is a wet system its got two sloenoids one for fuel and the other juice.It looks like anyways thewres one for each because there are two solenoids.

I gave it a long thought and figured this would be a wiser choice and more worth my time.

And jeep i still plan to start it off small and work up to the bigger shots.Remember im using this as a learning experience too.I just dont want experience a blown motor!

Anyone know if this kit is a wet system?For sure?
Old 04-25-2004, 09:59 PM
arcane73
1st Gear Member

OK, the kit you have listed is a wet kit. It contains 2 solenoids and two spray bars.
here is a run down of info from NOS themselves.....answers a lot of common stuff and gives you some really good insight.
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/TechSer...o/NOSTech.html
Spray Away!!!!!!
Old 04-25-2004, 10:21 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

the sneak pete was only designed to last a few sec. to pull out that close win..not for several runs.....
Old 04-25-2004, 11:14 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Thanks guys.

I am going to ask all the carbed nitrous guys (HRM THIS MEANS YOU ESPECIALLY) to take some pics of their installs.Im trying to get an idea of how i want to do this or it needs to be done.

Remember the more detailed and the more pics the better.

Thanks a lot!
Old 04-25-2004, 11:33 PM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

say gm you must have read my mind on your other post..about the kit you are getting,,,i would ditch the mech fuel pump..get block off plate,,get at least a holley blue pump..what i did was take the fuel tank down drilled another hole in top of fuel sender for bigger line 3/8 ..ID not outside..my 83 gt came with a 5/16 fuel line out the tank was to small for both nos and carb together,,3/8 did the trick the 5/16 line to much pressure drop ..i went as far now as to run 2 fuel pumps,,on my last motor i was planning on spraying 250 to it...my carb pump is a mallory comp 140 off the 3/8 add on line,,,on the nos side i run the holley blue pump on the org.5/16 line seems to work good..i also have to fuel pressure gauges on my cowl hood outside the car,,,carb is set at 8 psi..and nos at 9psi....heres the only pic i have under my hood,,motor is out right now ,,when i get my 408 back i will take good pics for you ..need my daughter to come over to show me how to work this dam digital cam i got..with 100 you can probley get by with stock 5/16 fuel line just get fuel gauge,,and also get i bottle pressure gauge,,your you wont know what your bottle pressure is ,,and on a hot day if your bottles been sitting in the sun dont spray it inless your pressure is under 1000psi..or you will deadanate,,,you will need to blow that pic up for some reason it came out small???

[IMG]local://upfiles/5822/Bz791978437.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2004, 12:00 AM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

dont know if you can see this one any better..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5822/Xv655129987.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2004, 12:03 AM
NOS/MAN
I ♥ Acer

if you dont get a bottle pressure gauge and its hot outside this is what can happen...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5822/Tr497984296.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Change of plans!!!