Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

TT or FlowZilla

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:39 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Default TT or FlowZilla

Currently, torn between what I want to run for next year...
I don't really want to lose the Down Low Grunt I could get with the KB Twin Screw,
But I hear when you run a smaller turbo and a big turbo, the Big turbo gets VERY hot down low and the small gets VERY HOT up high...

Really, need to decide now because the block is being assembled very soon and I want to choose compression and the cam and such for either application
It's currently being built for the KB setup(as far as the engine place knows)
Block still has to come in, So I have a LITTLE time.

I'd love the HP/Torque numbers of the TT setup, but don't want to sac. the low end power from the blower.
I know we have a couple Turbo Guru's on this site so enlighten me.
I'm also going to try and get ahold of some turbo companies as well to see what they have to say.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:58 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TT or FlowZilla

Personally I would go with the Twin Screw. Since I'm open minded and like to look at both sides Ill say this crap too.

Reasons for twin screw:
Cost is gonna be a little less, installation is gonna be cheaper and lots easier, you can keep your headers you spent $400 dollars on, tuning is gonna be a lot easier, you wont have to worry about a turbo timer, you wont have to worry about cooking anything under the hood, you wont have to worry about fenderwell modifications (most turbo kits for fox's require slight "massaging" [sm=rolleyes.gif] of the inner fender), you wont have to take the front end apart to fit the intercooler, the S/C will last longer without a rebuild than the TT setup will, the engine your gonna be running a Twin Screw setup with would have enough torque to set your eyeballs in the back of your skull, and lastly - If the Top Fuelers run positive displacement blowers instead of Turbos, theres gotta be a reason right? So why dont you? .

Reasons for TT: (I would only recommend going through HP turbo systems - www.turbochargedpower.com )
Very unique setup, big attention getter, absolutely massive power numbers, a kit is gonna come complete with everything you need down to every last strap/nut/bolt, unlimited power possibilities, very efficient intercooling system comes standard, a loud BOV on a Fox would be sweet as hell, no pull on the engine from pullies, you can also control the turbo from inside the vehicle via manual boost controller, the TT setup will be self sustained from the self-oiling system it uses, and lastly - did I mention the monsterous power gains?

I think even though a TT setup sounds appealing, a Twin Screw IMO would be the way to go if you plan on driving this thing very often. It would get annoying to leave the car running for 3-5 minutes every time you drive it [&:]. Also, while Turbos do sound nice, the KB Twin Screw's sound absolutely sick on hard throttle! Your new motor + KB Twin Screw = start passin out diapers! [sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 11-05-2004, 03:16 AM
2001_SaleenS281_08
5th Gear Member

I'm also torn, I just need some sort of blower to make 24lbs of boost
Old 11-05-2004, 03:20 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Heh, yeah I know the engine is currently going to be built for the KB, but that can change in an instant because it hasnt been created yet
And I always let my car warm up for atleast 10+mins and shutdown time for around 2mins.

And yeah That's the place I emailed 94Cbra...(turbochargedpower)

The numbers look mighty tastey... and
Hrmm, I'll need pricing first.

If the price is right, I think I may make the switch...
Even tho I know i'd love both
Old 11-05-2004, 03:31 AM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

TT would be cool but either way you cant go wrong
Old 11-05-2004, 03:37 AM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

Hrmm, say I was running an intercooled TT Setup
How much more boost could I squeeze out of it?
Running 8.5:1 compression on 93 Pump gas.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:12 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Compression that low, Id say you could run on up to 15PSI and be very safe with a good tune. There are plenty of guys around here running boost numbers like 12PSI non-intercooled and have no detonation problems. Those intercoolers help out tremendously, so does the 93 at the pump . Glad I have that here too.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

No no no no, I KNOW I can run 15psi Safely for a good long time on 93 pump gas @ 8.5:1 compression
I'm just wondering how much more I could run if added in an Intercooler
Old 11-05-2004, 02:30 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Yeah.. nothing like 10 lbs of boost at 2000 rpm! I would go with the twinscrew myself... Beyyer get an intercooler though! Twinscrews run a lot of HOT air.
Old 11-05-2004, 02:31 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

I would stay with the KB twin screw blower and you will be much happier in the long run. look at how much work and time you spent installing those long tube headers! the turbo setup will most definitely clutter up the engine compartment where you will be hard pressed for space to work on things and the heat radiated from all the turbo required tubing will be cooking everything under the hood too. besides all that, the blower will be instant low end torque which is what you really want for a daily driver and weekend racer!
and you don't want to be messing with turbo lag in the twisties either!
turbos also require more upkeep in the form of oil changes, etc. since they tend to add extra heat to the oil and an oil cooler would be another almost necessity with a twin turbo setup too.

Quick Reply: TT or FlowZilla