Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

S/C or Turbo on a 5.0 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: S/C or Turbo on a 5.0 swap?

what else is really neat about turbo's is that lets say you have a sct tuner with diffrent pounds of boost tunes. you can buy a boost controller and crank up or turno down your boost, by the turn of a ****.

where with s.c you can do the same thing but you need to swap pully's= more pain
Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
cylostang

Get the best of both worlds and go with a nice custom twin-twin screw S/C setup. If u have access to a welder, a drill, some cuttin equipment, a protractor and precise measuring equipment u can do this kinda-sorta-semi-easily. It looks kool, sounds great and will give you assenine(is this world legal) low end torque. Aside from having to get a custom lenght belt its relativly cheap-ish. Hood clearance may be a slight issue but not so much as it would be if you carbruated it. If u cant afford the twin screw type you can always get two 174s.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 05:42 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

And there enlies(is that a word?) the problem. I'd love nothing more than to get a twin screw and the only one to get in that case is the KB. You're right, they sound friggen great and the low end torque is stupid high But, I would literally pay as much for that blower as I did for the entire car when I first bought it. I just can't justify that. If I can get away with a built low end on a 5.0 block and a power adder for $5000, I'd be happy. And I think I can do it to be honest with you. I have been looking around and prices for those 5.0s are about nothing and the forged internals will run right at $1000. The rest can be used for the power adder. I'll combine new and use parts for the kit; ensuring the new parts are the important ones and the used parts are acutally worth having

But basically, I guess I'm saying that I'd probably do the twin screw if I can meet my financial requirements set, but I don't think that's going to happen. I mean, how many of you have seen a usedKB? No one really gets rid of thoseonce they have one simply because they're the best out there. And another thing, someone said that the 5.0 block can't handle much more than 500 hp. Is that reallyaccurate? I know my 4.6 non-PIblockcan handle upwards of 800+hp beforeyou need to worry.That has been proven over and over again. It's the internals thatgoLONG before that block does. Do Ireally need to worry about the strength of that block if I do this?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 AM
cylostang

Haaha thank you for reading my post about my supercharging ideas. But i hear yah they are expensive and two of them would be ridiculous, as a good friend of mine usta say "LIVE RIDICULOUS!!!!" As for 500 hp on a stock block that may be pushing it, all engines that come in any show room or lot car cant usually handle more than 100-150hp w/o loosing a fair amount of reliability, unless it is indeed a true performance car. I wouldnt put and extra 150hp on my 302 w/o atleast getting some good bearings and in that case if im gona rip apart the engine i might as well get a crank, some rods and pistons-gota love forged aluminium. I may have gotten carried away with twin twin-screw S/Cs(side by side btw), i love to dream about unusual power adding ideas.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cylostang

Haaha thank you for reading my post about my supercharging ideas. But i hear yah they are expensive and two of them would be ridiculous, as a good friend of mine usta say "LIVE RIDICULOUS!!!!" As for 500 hp on a stock block that may be pushing it, all engines that come in any show room or lot car cant usually handle more than 100-150hp w/o loosing a fair amount of reliability, unless it is indeed a true performance car. I wouldnt put and extra 150hp on my 302 w/o atleast getting some good bearings and in that case if im gona rip apart the engine i might as well get a crank, some rods and pistons-gota love forged aluminium. I may have gotten carried away with twin twin-screw S/Cs(side by side btw), i love to dream about unusual power adding ideas.
[align=left][/align]
I never really thought about two centri's, though. Now that you bring that up, it's not a bad idea. Two S Trim units I can get for under $2000 and all the support equipment would put me where I need to be. But what about the fabrication that willtake? I need things I can get off the shelf, do they make brackets for that setup? The belt wouldn't be too hard to order, but everything else would have to be machined if it doesn't already exist. Hmm, point me in the right direction and I just might do that. I mean, who pops the hood of their car and shows off not one, but TWO s/c units??

Oh, and I am building the motor. I'll get a used 5.0 longblock, flip it over and go to town on it. I'm thinking forged crank and rods, not piston heads. A I understand it, forged piston heads have a lot more tolorance to allow for expansion than the stock ones do and that just isn't going to help if I want reliability. So yeah, I think a forged bottom end would do it for those numbers. What do you think? And let me know if I can get brackets for the two s/c's
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Fobra
Banned

Turbo all the way... twin centri is a bad idea
Old 11-14-2007, 10:44 AM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Are doing this to a completley stock car? If thats the case you need to lay the foundation for all that power first and its not cheap. Have you factored in the $ you need to upgrade the fuel system? is this on an AOD or a T5? at 400+ hp either one will need to be upgraded. Theres lots of other little things you have to have in order before adding tons of power. Also if you are going with forged internals why not go with a stroker kit? Their about the same price and you can up the displacement by 45 cu. in. And yes the block will fail above 500 hp. The main webbing isnt very thick on theese motors and at that power level the block literally splits in half, i have seen it happen many times.

http://www.theturboforums.com/stockblock.php
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1991LX5.0

Are doing this to a completley stock car? If thats the case you need to lay the foundation for all that power first and its not cheap. Have you factored in the $ you need to upgrade the fuel system? is this on an AOD or a T5? at 400+ hp either one will need to be upgraded. Theres lots of other little things you have to have in order before adding tons of power. Also if you are going with forged internals why not go with a stroker kit? Their about the same price and you can up the displacement by 45 cu. in. And yes the block will fail above 500 hp. The main webbing isnt very thick on theese motors and at that power level the block literally splits in half, i have seen it happen many times.

http://www.theturboforums.com/stockblock.php
Yeah, I know that I'll have to upgrade the tranny and the rear end at the very least in order to handle the power. I haven't factored that in yet beacause I want the engine done first. Then, I'll put the rest in at the same time.I have found that I have a hard time putting upgrades on my car that don't give me immediate results. So, I'll put together the engine and once I have the money for the tranny I'll do them at the same time. I'll probably just buy a rebuilt one that is ready for that amount of HP. Again, this is being built for a Daily Driver, so I'm not going to be hammering it all the time.

On a seperate note, can you explain the stroker kit to me? The reason I didn't to do that is because I stroke it, that limits the parts I can get for the engine. If I keep the displacement stock, there are more options for parts out there but the second I make those cylinders bigger, I have to deal with limited availability on parts. Of course, I may be missing something. Can someone elaborate on this one?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

If you stroke it, it changes nothing except power output, well you will have to get an overbore head gasket. The extra displacement come from a small overbore and a stroker crank which basicly drops the piston down farther in the cylinder allowing more air+fuel to be added which means more power. And you will def. want to look into getting some very stick tires because 347+KB=torque monster. Are you doing this with the stock heads, cam, intake?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:49 AM
cylostang

[align=left]Banned please enlighten me as to why you think twin centri's is a bad idea. Aside from havin to get custom bolts and brakets, you would intercool it the same way pipe it the same way- save the exhaust piping - and things such as the alternator and p/s pump would need relocation, and a/c would be out of the question. The battery and misc. other electronics would also need to be relocated.

Trick dont think my idea is anywhere near cheap even with used parts its gona cost around 10-15k just for the engine, fuel and S/C to be reliable. Your best bet is if u want a twin S/C system go with two Weiand 174s side by side, an aeromotive FI system can be adapted for use with the custom manifold you would need.
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: S/C or Turbo on a 5.0 swap?