Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Help me pick my blower

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default Help me pick my blower

I have decided that for me a centrifugal blower would fit the needs of my "new" fun car. I will be buying my father's DD 02 gt that he bought new. The car has 50,000 miles on it and is in awesome shape. For right now I just want to run about 8 psi and no intercooler. As I save up more, I plan on getting a forged bottom end and intercooler to up the power. What kit do you recommend for price, reliability, product quality, and the ability to handle the strain of more boost when I am prepared for it?
Old 12-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Fobra
Banned

Default RE: Help me pick my blower

that is really tough man

it come down to whether or not your going get a built motor.. the novi will flow mad cfm, but at 8-12 psi is not even in its efficent operating range. The vortech will max about 16-18 psi and 575 or so rwhp... I think the novi can hit about 28 lbs of boost... either can supplemented with nitrous.. if i had a choice I get a novi, but the vortech is great and cheeper
Old 12-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I plan on building the bottom end but staying with the stock topend as long as it holds. When I ment upping the power I mean I will probably stay at about 450-480 whp if I can so I think the vortec would be plenty, but for a couple hundered bucks extra the procharger comes with the intercooler and all the stuff to put it on, so if I wanted I could run about 10 psi before the bottom end is beefed up.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:14 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

vortech you have to tap your oil pan

procharger you dont.

i am a fan of procharger
Old 12-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Fobra
Banned

the oil pan tap is nothing.. and in fact the unti runs cooler, but procharger is top notch stuff, im just nota fan of self contained units, procharger makes non self contained.. id buy that that. but the v2 vortech is more blower for your dollar than a p1sc, the vortech intercooler is terribly expensive, i recommend geting a treadstone and doing an air to air intercooler like procharger does, it will be cheaper and more effective. Prochargers sound sick, the v2 is loud at idle and then goes quiet, which i kinda like for a daily driver.. but they also have the v1 which is loud as *****. The novi unit will be a better performer than all of them at a higher boost level. The procharger has a nice step up ratio, the v2 is almost the same in that respect, the v1 does not. But something else to consider, prochargers eat belts, most of this is mis-alignment but some of it is not. procharger also requires procharger oil, an added cost.. but at first doesnt seem expensive, until you realize that the procharger unit has to be removed to change the oil in it, or you can take to your installer for an oil change, he has a special tool, again being 1) a PITA 2) more expensive.. you can make the tool or find something simular that will work, but it wont work as well. And they the p-1sc's have an infamous seal problem. Ive seen many p-1scs, and never seen one leak. However, alot of people have had to send theirs back for new seals, many times its not covered.. I believe this one a problem on older models and is not an issue today, but its just some food for though.. and the vortech bypass that comes with the kit is junk, you need to get a mondo.

I have a new vortech tuner kitsystem, id consider selling it.. pm me and let me know
Old 12-17-2007, 12:31 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

procharger ftw
Old 12-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

All these votes and only two people said why the would choose what they did. Help me out people, the only reason I am leaning towards the procharger is the kit I found is only about 500-600 bucks more than the vortec and comes with the intercooler, but the vortec is the cheapest. Help me out, more input.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:43 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Well I personally went with Procharger P1sc because it is a centrifugal and its intercooled.
I live in Mississippi so it gets pretty hot, I figured it wouldn't hurt to pay a little more tomake sure my car wouldn't be running extra hot. I also liked the fact that the Procharger is self contained on the oil.
I thought about going KB but from what I read, they tend to overheat at the track. They are great for lower rpms, but I like Centri. for the higher rpms. So for me the P1sc intercooled worked out to be perfect for me
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

What numbers are you making and what boost setup do you have. I will be running the blower on a PI 4.6 2V but a good idea of what kind of numbers you are getting down might be able to help me decide. To be honest I just looked at the KB 2.1L blower and the one that can be set up for 6-14 psi is only 3899 for the kit. The procharger is like 4100, this just brought up the debate for me of twin screw vs. centri again.[&:]
Old 12-17-2007, 01:38 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

On 8 pounds of boost with just basic bolt ons and stock H/C/I,I make 337rwhp and 378rwtq.
I paid $3400 for my p1sc intercooled brand new shipped to my door...

as for twin screw vs centri. I believe its all personal preference and what you mainly will be using it for
i.e. track or street or both

Quick Reply: Help me pick my blower