Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Buying a Super Charger...really torn!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM
BunnMan
1st Gear Member

Default Buying a Super Charger...really torn!!!

First of all, its totally awesome a forum ike this exists.

I am extremely inerested in picking up a supercharger and hope to make a move i the next few weeks after I get settled on what is best for my plans. I have been cramming all the information I can find,especiallythecentris. I think the curve the centris offer is more in my line due to the fact that I currently have stock internals and body. I think a KB or Whipple would be too much on the bottom and twist her up on me, and it seems these are best suited to forged internals and builds that started with a screw in mind. I like the plusses of turbo, but all the extra plumbing is a turn off, I want to be able to see my motor and keep my A/C.

All that being said...here's my plan:

I want to buy and bolt a S/C on my stock powerplant for some immediate gains because I'ma speed freakthat's both impatient and impuslive . Secondly, after the initial install and ensuing good times I wil pick up another block and commence to building one righteous bad motor intended to compliment the already whining S/C. Next winter I'll stiffen the chassis and rear suspension before dropping in the newpower.

My original plan was a Vortech V-2 SQ S-Trim. Every Supercharger outlet I have emailed or spoken to has recommended against the Vortech saying that it will be great on the stock motor but will be outgrown very quickly and not be the best fit for a motor built for a S/C. Some gave minor mention to a T-Trim but still insisted there were better options. The two most recommended routes are the Paxton Novi 2000 and the Procharger D1SC with the Procharger getting an almost overwhelming majority of the praise from tuners and dealers alike for power production and reliability. These suggestions quickly compromise my original intended budget of about $3Kfor a S/C kit. I can still fit a Novi 2000 in that budget though it's a tight fit.New injectors would put me over that line though. The Procharger blows it away entirely, still requiring injectors to be purchased above the already smoked budget.

I may be able to pony up the extra coin but so far I'm notquite convinced I need to. Just about everyone recommends the D1SC over the Paxton or Vortech. But then again just about everyone I've talked or emailed with isin the business of selling superchargers and has a vested interest inswaying me towards the more expensive option. I do like that the Procharger kit comes with an intercooler, and I like that it keeps my A/C. I do not likethat it is reported to be the loudest of the three though and I'm not convinced it will shine much higher above the others when it's all said and done. I understand that there are intercoolers availablefor the Paxton and Vortech andadding onewill put them right up there pricewise with the D1SC.

I'd like to get 350hp/350+tq. out of the S/C kit on the stocker. I think they'll all provide that. Then I'd like at elast high 600's out of the new motor and S/C. Any body got dynos for their blown 5.0s? What are the possibilities with each of these? Do I really need intercoolers and injectors to get the pwoer I'm looking for out of my stock set up? Who's a good tuner to go to after getting it all in? I live in Pasadena, MD - Baltimore/Annapolis area.

Thanks for any help and God bless,

-BunnMan
Old 03-21-2008, 07:40 PM
1991LX5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying a Super Charger...really torn!!!

you will be fine with the s-trim. Im running an A trim which is a little smaller than an s trim and its supporting 450rwhp without a problem so getting 500+rwhp out of an s-trim wont be that dissicult. If you plan on going above that you will need a T-trim. The novi 2000 and procharger are still great kits that are just a little more expensive. And just so you know the stock block will only hold 500-550rwhp so if your looking to start building a motor for when this one gives out start with a good foundation like a dart/man o war/ boss block that will hold 1,000+. And dont work about the stock internals at 350hp, im still running the stock internals and havent had a single prroblem yet ::knocks on wood::
Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 AM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

Procharger D1sc is my opinion.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 AM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BunnMan

First of all, its totally awesome a forum ike this exists.

I am extremely inerested in picking up a supercharger and hope to make a move i the next few weeks after I get settled on what is best for my plans. I have been cramming all the information I can find,especiallythecentris. I think the curve the centris offer is more in my line due to the fact that I currently have stock internals and body. I think a KB or Whipple would be too much on the bottom and twist her up on me, and it seems these are best suited to forged internals and builds that started with a screw in mind. I like the plusses of turbo, but all the extra plumbing is a turn off, I want to be able to see my motor and keep my A/C.

All that being said...here's my plan:

I want to buy and bolt a S/C on my stock powerplant for some immediate gains because I'ma speed freakthat's both impatient and impuslive . Secondly, after the initial install and ensuing good times I wil pick up another block and commence to building one righteous bad motor intended to compliment the already whining S/C. Next winter I'll stiffen the chassis and rear suspension before dropping in the newpower.

My original plan was a Vortech V-2 SQ S-Trim. Every Supercharger outlet I have emailed or spoken to has recommended against the Vortech saying that it will be great on the stock motor but will be outgrown very quickly and not be the best fit for a motor built for a S/C. Some gave minor mention to a T-Trim but still insisted there were better options. The two most recommended routes are the Paxton Novi 2000 and the Procharger D1SC with the Procharger getting an almost overwhelming majority of the praise from tuners and dealers alike for power production and reliability. These suggestions quickly compromise my original intended budget of about $3Kfor a S/C kit. I can still fit a Novi 2000 in that budget though it's a tight fit.New injectors would put me over that line though. The Procharger blows it away entirely, still requiring injectors to be purchased above the already smoked budget.

I may be able to pony up the extra coin but so far I'm notquite convinced I need to. Just about everyone recommends the D1SC over the Paxton or Vortech. But then again just about everyone I've talked or emailed with isin the business of selling superchargers and has a vested interest inswaying me towards the more expensive option. I do like that the Procharger kit comes with an intercooler, and I like that it keeps my A/C. I do not likethat it is reported to be the loudest of the three though and I'm not convinced it will shine much higher above the others when it's all said and done. I understand that there are intercoolers availablefor the Paxton and Vortech andadding onewill put them right up there pricewise with the D1SC.

I'd like to get 350hp/350+tq. out of the S/C kit on the stocker. I think they'll all provide that. Then I'd like at elast high 600's out of the new motor and S/C. Any body got dynos for their blown 5.0s? What are the possibilities with each of these? Do I really need intercoolers and injectors to get the pwoer I'm looking for out of my stock set up? Who's a good tuner to go to after getting it all in? I live in Pasadena, MD - Baltimore/Annapolis area.

Thanks for any help and God bless,

-BunnMan
You should already have forged piston in the stock motor. KB or any other S/C will kill a motor if not properly tuned.
350hp is reasonable, but you can go 500-550 on the stock block. My opinion for poweradder is KB w/meth injection.
If youre stuck on going centro then an Intercooled Procharger is the best choice IMO.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Fobra
Banned

S trim is a great starter blower, gives some growing room and is cheaply upgradable
Old 03-22-2008, 09:15 PM
mnile9127
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fobra

S trim is a great starter blower, gives some growing room and is cheaply upgradable
Whenever I hear the word CHEAP or any form of it, I think of; if its cheap ,then
its cheaply built and will break easily.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 PM
blowngt2419
1st Gear Member

ive heard nothing but good things about the novi 2000 and thats what i run and the only other centri s/c i would run would be the procharger but if your leaning towards a centri id go with a novi 2000 ora procharger both very realiable superchargers and you can make alot of power out of them 2
Old 03-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Fobra
Banned

ORIGINAL: mnile9127

Whenever I hear the word CHEAP or any form of it, I think of; if its cheap ,then
its cheaply built and will break easily.
thats ridiculous, vortech is a hell of alot bigger operation than ATI. Quality reports speak for themselves. An S trim can be upgrade to a T or JT trim for 1000-1500 bucks. ATI can't touch that
Old 03-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Fobra
Banned

an S trim will make 575 to wheels on a modular 4.6 w/ a built motor...
Old 03-23-2008, 12:18 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

an S trim will make 575 to wheels on a modular 4.6 w/ a built motor...
my S trim fell on it's face at 550RWHP at 16psi. it's just not efficient above that. [:'(]

Quick Reply: Buying a Super Charger...really torn!!!