Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Powerdyne BD11a -- who actually owns one & has some dyno numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Kobra4Kris

Default Powerdyne BD11a -- who actually owns one & has some dyno numbers?

Looking for some actual HP & TQ numbers and/or actual track times for the Powerdyne BD11a. I've heard all the stories about belts breaking at higher boost levels, get a Vortech instead, yadayada, etc... What I'm looking for are some actual owners to chime in please.

Even if you don't have numbers but you own a BD11a, I'd like to hear your experience.

Thanks!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:23 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Powerdyne BD11a -- who actually owns one & has some dyno numbers?

don't even bother researching them. just go here and read the reviews. i don't care what kind of deal you get on it, get a procharger or VORTECH.

http://www.carreview.com/Forced,Indu...6_2877crx.aspx
Old 05-06-2005, 05:01 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

I agree with nanaki all the way, but before you make a desicion read this. Here is what I said in another thread about Pdynes.

You would be fine at 9psi but, I wouldnt go any higher than that. Your engine couldnt take anymore boost and the entry level Powerdyne isnt made to put out anymore. This is gonna be very strange for me to say and some people are probably gonna have contradictions but, you would more than likely be very satisfied with a Powerdyne. I just realized I have been bashing Pdyne on hearsay which isnt like me so I researched the product myself to see what all the smack talk was about. I found that most of the negatives against the supercharger were user mistakes. Lots of people will tell you the internal belt drives are crap and snap. This is true if you want to go over 9psi of boost but, Pdynes entry level S/C's arent designed to go over that ammount. Also most people dont realize that Powerdyne has switched to a new Kevlar belt which is much much stronger than the previous designs. Another common problem are the ceramic bearings. Where it is true that these bearings are not as strong as normal bearings, they have amazing heat deflecting abilities. Many people run into problems with these bearings because they overspin the S/C by running to much boost. Even if you did break a belt or fry a bearing, Powerdynes are the easiest to rebuild of any S/C and also run the coolest. Ive just talked to several guys running 9psi Powerdynes. One guy has had his on a 93 Cobra running 9psi for 5 years now with absolutely no problems. He also takes very good care of his car. If you are looking for a nice entry level street blower on a budget then a Powerdyne would be a nice choice.
One really nice thing about Pdynes are their "Hyperdyne" curved impellers. They actually scoop air so their can achieve higher boost levels at lower RPM's than other Centrifugal's. Once again their drawback is that anything past 9psi will pretty much blow a one all to hell. Pdyne has come out with a gear driven version but I dont know how thats working out. If youll want higher boost numbers down the road dont bother with Pdyne, youll just end up selling it for a quality Vortech unit. Pdyne is a good entry level street blower for someone on a budget. A Vortech is an extremely high quality unit that will give you years of trouble free use. Youll also have extra room to grow in. It all depends on what you want.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:17 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

how much is a pdyne kit? i didn't think it was an entry level blower when i last priced them. they're right up there with vortech almost. may as well spend the extra couple bucks. unless they've dropped since the last time i looked at them.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:43 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

I know Jegs had a big sale. You could pick up a kit for an 87-95 5.0 for $1600.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:53 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

I know Jegs had a big sale. You could pick up a kit for an 87-95 5.0 for $1600.
i hate foxes. all blower kits are cheap for them. DAMN ALL YOU FOX OWNERS TO HELL!
Old 05-09-2005, 02:26 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

I agree with nanaki all the way, but before you make a desicion read this. Here is what I said in another thread about Pdynes.

You would be fine at 9psi but, I wouldnt go any higher than that. Your engine couldnt take anymore boost and the entry level Powerdyne isnt made to put out anymore. This is gonna be very strange for me to say and some people are probably gonna have contradictions but, you would more than likely be very satisfied with a Powerdyne. I just realized I have been bashing Pdyne on hearsay which isnt like me so I researched the product myself to see what all the smack talk was about. I found that most of the negatives against the supercharger were user mistakes. Lots of people will tell you the internal belt drives are crap and snap. This is true if you want to go over 9psi of boost but, Pdynes entry level S/C's arent designed to go over that ammount. Also most people dont realize that Powerdyne has switched to a new Kevlar belt which is much much stronger than the previous designs. Another common problem are the ceramic bearings. Where it is true that these bearings are not as strong as normal bearings, they have amazing heat deflecting abilities. Many people run into problems with these bearings because they overspin the S/C by running to much boost. Even if you did break a belt or fry a bearing, Powerdynes are the easiest to rebuild of any S/C and also run the coolest. Ive just talked to several guys running 9psi Powerdynes. One guy has had his on a 93 Cobra running 9psi for 5 years now with absolutely no problems. He also takes very good care of his car. If you are looking for a nice entry level street blower on a budget then a Powerdyne would be a nice choice.
One really nice thing about Pdynes are their "Hyperdyne" curved impellers. They actually scoop air so their can achieve higher boost levels at lower RPM's than other Centrifugal's. Once again their drawback is that anything past 9psi will pretty much blow a one all to hell. Pdyne has come out with a gear driven version but I dont know how thats working out. If youll want higher boost numbers down the road dont bother with Pdyne, youll just end up selling it for a quality Vortech unit. Pdyne is a good entry level street blower for someone on a budget. A Vortech is an extremely high quality unit that will give you years of trouble free use. Youll also have extra room to grow in. It all depends on what you want.
This is all great and fine, except they leak like a sieve and crap out on you with everyday use. The bearings go out (even below 9psi) and in general the quailty is just not there.

Its way cheaper for a reason.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:14 AM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Do you own one or use one? I get conflicting stories but, theres about 30 guys on Stangnet that own them and swear by them. The one I talked to has had his on for 5 years, he started at 6psi and after 2 years upped it to 9psi and hasnt had a problem one. He also takes very good care of his car both cosmetic and mechanical wise. The two guys Ive seen on here that own them also havnt had any problems with them. People used to think Prochargers were crap until they realized they fixed their problems. Now all kinds of people happily pack ATI's. I think if Powerdyne were as bad as everyone says they are, they couldnt stay in business. The more I learn about this kind of stuff the more I realize, dont knock it til' ya try it. They are designed to do differnt things than most people on this forum want. Than again they could be total crap.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:15 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i'm going by the countless reviews that were posted in that link. it doesn't have a very good user rating. people either gave it a 5 out of 5, or 1 out of 5. there were more 1s than 5s though. looks like it's hit or miss with powerdyne. just google it and you'll find lots of not-so-great reviews on it. i'd rather just spend the extra few bucks and get a procharger or vortech.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:27 AM
82 gt

i have a 82 gt t-top and have a powerdyne i ran it in all forms from 6 psi to 15 as far as stock engine tobolts on. i can say it 6 psi was ok 9 psi wasgreat then bought7 inch overdrive pulley also a 15 psi pulley for later. i set 7 inch crank pulley and got 11 psi.then i built a stock 302(mark 7 engine forged piston) the heads world product w/ 2.02 1.60,cobra intake 1 inch spacer, bbk 70mm throttle body,bbk 75mm mass air 1 5/8 long tube header short off road h-pipe,30 lb injectors, cobra 5 lug brakes 13 inch front 11.65 inch rear, running 9 psi,pulled away from cars ok,11 psipulled away hard,i alsoput 15 psi and car had more power but it han no traction i was not going anywhere just tire spin alsotimming at 7 all ignition stock 255 lph fuel pump at 40 psias for horse power may 95 muscle mustang fast fords did article (stock short block a cam stock heads ported larger valves stock intake i would have to check specs but it made 420 hp on dyno) so it is not a supercharer to be overlooked it is how you set it up every car is diffrent they need start at the lowest psi and work your way up in psi. remind you i use stock cam have ac and drive my car to fl,tx,va, on regularday to day.as running 11 psi i blow the door off the ram air firebirds leave them standing still. another run 97 gt 3.73 gears 12 psivortec i ran him w/9 psi and beat him, dont know but my car w/powerdyne has been great, est eta 11.7 ran 12.1 w/out chargerwill update with all info from mm&ff as oon dig it out

Quick Reply: Powerdyne BD11a -- who actually owns one & has some dyno numbers?