Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

stupid questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 07:24 PM
1966stang
1st Gear Member

Default stupid questions

im very new to the supercharger/ turbo/ blower scene so i did some research but have some easy questions: is a super charger the same as a blower? can it make my 289ci 200hp engine run 400hp? what would be a good brand supercharger and/or blower for a classic mustang? what is the rough cost for one? intercooled? ive ruled out turbo cause id need 2 for my V8 engine so looking at super/ blowers. ive looked around and paxton makes a supercharger for my year mustang but from what ive read a intercooled charger will give me more hp gain. ive looked at procharger and vortech but i cant find prices and as far a blowers ive found only one place call hampton blowers- this is whats led to the supercharger = blower question. thanks for any answers/ advice.

mark
Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

blower and sc are the same thing. the terms are used interchangably.
as far as running a turbo setup, you do not need 2 because its a v8. you can run 2 small ones like i do, or you can run one. a single 62mm or 67mm would get you to your goal of 400hp. cost varies from manufacturer, vortech will probably be the best bang for the buck. great quality at a fair price starting around $3000 and then it goes up from there. paxton, vortech and procharger are all great companies so which ever you can get the best deal on, go for it. not sure if these companies have carb setups but its easyto just get a carb hat. same thing with the turbo if you go that route. take a look at b&g turbo. they make a 5.0 kit for about $3000 and all youd need is a blow through carb and a carb hat....youd need the blow through carb and hat no matter what setup you go with tho.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
1966stang
1st Gear Member

ahh, that blow through carburator is gonna hurt, i just spent $600 on a new holley carburator!!! which is gonna be more hp gain: turbo, twin turbo, or super or will they all be about the same
Old 07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

youll get more hp per psi with a turbo because turbos create no parasitic loss like sc do because the sc uses hp (spins via a belt hooked to the crank) to make boost while a turbo uses spent gasses (exhaust) to make boost. as far as twin versus single, hp will be the same, single is usually cheaper if your hp goals are low (500hp or less) just because two turbos altho smaller then one, are expensive plus you need two waste gates.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:52 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Roots superchargers are blowers. twin screw & centrifugal compressors compress air internally, the roots on the other hand just moves the air (which is how it got the name blower) & it compresses in the intake manifold (or intake plumbing in a remote mount setup) The downside is the air temps are higher because of this; the upside is that when a bypass valve is used it will freewheel during cruise or partial throttle taking little to no load from the crank which means better fuel economy, the other two can't since they compress internally, even if a bypass was used the air is already being compressed which means there's a constant resistance.

As far as which to go with. Like lucky13 said, the turbo will get you more power. A positive displacement will make the car feel faster & imo make a more fun car to drive. The reason I favor turbo is because when it comes down to having a car that feels faster & is more fun vs being faster; I want to be the faster one (even though I almost never get into races). The twins are going to spool slightly faster due to less rotating mass (which even a properly sized single spool speed is nothing to sneeze at) & it's easier to get a superior exhaust design with twins, but it cost more. Both can be made very efficient though if the kit builder knows what their doing & have done some research.

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
plus you need two waste gates.
There are some single setups that require two wastegates.