Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Almost done with my intercooler install...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

Default Almost done with my intercooler install...

I was able to spend a good part of the weekend outside and started to install a FMIC on the mustang. Install when really well, all I have left to do now is return the bypass valve to the boost a pipe and tap a new hole for the IAT sensor near the TB. The install turned out better then expected. I was able to retain my foglights and the intercooler doesnt stand out at all so it keeps a nice stealth look. Hope to have it all done tonight and hopefully I can set up a day for a dyno tune asap so I can swap on my smaller pulley and see what kinda numbers I can put down.
Here are a few pics (sorry bout quality, done with my phone) from when I finished up yesterday......

Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

did you take off your bumper support?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 PM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

No, I kept the support. The car is a daily driver so I feel I should keep something back there, not to mention a few stories Ive heard of bumpers collapsing at high speeds down the strip. I have the cooler mounted far enough down that about 75%+ of it is exposed so I felt that was good enough until I can get a tubular support. The bottom of the intercooler is just about flush with the bottom of the bumper enough so the pipes run just below the fog light housings that sit back. I get the car tuned next Tuesday so I'm excited to see what the intercooler and dropping down to a 3.33 pulley do for the car.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Psustu
1st Gear Member

Default I am very interested to see how your setup turns

out, I am doing the same setup.. If there is a chance you get other pictures please post them... Good luck
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

I will be installing a tranny cooler I got yesterday in the near future so when I have to drop the bumper again, Ill make sure to take a few pics. I had to move my tune till next thursday but I will be sure to post numbers and what goes on.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:48 PM
01MGGT
4th Gear Member

Looks great! Is it cxracing or what? How hard is it if you have never done one before? I will be installing my own vortech in about a month to 2 months and have thought about building one. How much do I have to change from the stock vortech setup? You can't use a draw through lightning 90mm MAF can ya?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 AM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

Yeap its a CXRacing kit off of ebay. This was the first one Ive put in but with a little research and common sense, its not bad as long as you take your time. The only thing you need to change from the stock set-up is to rotate the discharge housing of the headunit, which is just taking off six little bolts (that hold three half moon brackets), and literally spin the housing untill its at the correct angle you need for you tubing (you can see where i spun mine in the second picture to connect to the pipe going down to the intercooler. I dont see why you couldnt use a Lightning MAF, I am.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:35 PM
68dustin
2nd Gear Member

Did you notice a loss of boost since you put the intercooler in? the piping seems like it would drop you boost level.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:21 PM
bruthru2003
2nd Gear Member

I havent really gotten on the car since the intercooler install. I would think about 2 or so lbs lost, thats why I dropped the pulley. I will let you know tomorrow though.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:19 PM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68dustin
Did you notice a loss of boost since you put the intercooler in? the piping seems like it would drop you boost level.
boost pressure is just a measure of restriction in the intake. cfm is what makes hp and that doesnt change

Quick Reply: Almost done with my intercooler install...