Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Pros and cons of nitros

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

Default Pros and cons of nitros

I don't lose the hope of having a Saleen SC put in my car some day, but right now I just can't dish out the $4.5K. Reading these threads I learned that I should not mod the engine if I'm to install an SC because I would have to remove it.

So I figured, until then, I can install a nitros kit in my baby. but what are the pros and cons of having nitros. I'm not very familiar with it and would like to get some info from you guys so I can make a sound descision.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2005, 08:29 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pros and cons of nitros

off the top of my head:

PROS: Cheap horse power, 2005 mustang responds really well to NOS
CONS: Break wear, Illegal in many places, cost of refilling the NOS
Old 07-31-2005, 08:31 PM
v8stang05
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bahbahblacksheep

off the top of my head:

PROS: Cheap horse power, 2005 mustang responds really well to NOS
CONS: Break wear, Illegal in many places, cost of refilling the NOS
those are basically most of the pros and cons other than you can blow your engine.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

V8Stang05, Your words "Blowing the engine" is what I will seriously take into consideration. Again, I don't know very much about NOS, therefore I really don't want to take a chance. I anyone else wants to add anything your more than welcome.

Again, Thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:45 PM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

martin, i have the zex kit for the 2005 gt and i have already gone thru a bottle and had no problems. its fairlt cheap, easy to install(took me about 4 hours) and with the 100 shot i got 354 hp at the back tires. i was scared when it was on the dyno, but the car did fine and i have had no problems. i would suggest that you take it to a shop that has a dyno and let them dial it in for you. also because colder spark plugs are not available dont go above the 100 shot. i also have the c&l cold air kit with the predator tuner and flowmaster mufflers. i got the electric water pump and underdrive pulleys but am waiting on a throttle body so i can change it all out together. if you go with the n2o you might want to put some drag radials on the car too. nitrous isnt as bad for your engine as alot of people think, as long as the engine is in good shape to begin with, you shouldnt have a problem. i say go for it.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:55 PM
jtscuba02
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah, it dynoed with 288 without the n2o. i am hoping to have 300 with these other mods.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:11 PM
LimeStang05
2nd Gear Member

I agree! Having run Nitrous on many street cars, its a great way to go fast. As long as you go with a good quality system you shouldn't have any problems. The two main factors in engine explosions are....a lean mixture and too much timing. A quality nitrous kit will introduce additional fuel with the nitrous (never use a "dry" kit). And to fix the timing issue, you need a programer such as the Diablo or the SCT XCal2. You will need this for your future SC set-up anyway. Have fun and let us know how it runs. I'm thinking of doing the same thing while waiting for the bling for the SC.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:57 AM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

you will be picking up pieces of your intake manifold if you set it up wrong..trust me ive seen it..my old roomate in college used to have it in his Talon
Old 08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

There are still soooooo many misconceptions about nitrous.

As already said, get a nice kit with all the safety goodies (microswitch, fuel pressure safety switch, nice soleinoids). Have it installed by someone who knows what they're doing. Then have fun!

The key to running nitrous is all in your tune. Make sure the car is at a safe air/fuel curve before running it. Make the first time you spray the car, on a dyno!
Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Some real info about running nitrous.
http://members.aol.com/agspeed/nos.htm
And don't pay attention to the guys who were saying stuff about blowing up your intake or to "never run a dry shot" they simply do not know what they are talking about and clearly have little to no experiance with N2O.

Quick Reply: Pros and cons of nitros