Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

ATI procharger vs Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 05:10 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

Default ATI procharger vs Vortec

I own a 05' v6 mustang and looking to add a blower. ATI procharger and Vortec are both in developemental stages for a supercharger for the 4.0. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts or experience is with these two companies. I think pricing and performance are close but want some ideas on making my decision in the near future. Thanks in advance!!

Old 08-08-2005, 05:15 PM
guarnibl
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ATI procharger vs Vortec

From what I understand the Prochargers produce more power than the Vortech superchargers on the 01-04 GTs (noticeable since it's a lot more efficient). However, I have heard that ATI has had problems with the prochargers in the past but they have been resolved. Personally I went with a procharger and am waiting for it to arrive this week. I will let you know my results

I think both ATI Procharger and Vortech will have something good in store for you 05 owners However, with all new things, I'd let at least a revision or two go into place before purchasing one and risking it having problems. However, I mainly do that with computers, dunno exactly if it applies to cars but it probably does.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:17 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

thanks for your quick response... please let me know how it goes with your Procharger I would like to hear about the results... also thanks for the good advice....
Old 08-08-2005, 05:22 PM
guarnibl
1st Gear Member

Oh I will I'm sure you'll find me talking about either one of the following things:

a) how fast my car is
b) how upset I am because I wrecked it

With that being said, wish me luck figuring out how to drive this thing after it's 150 horsepower faster to the tire. I will certainly be babying it until I know how
Old 08-08-2005, 05:45 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

If you wanted performance out of your stang why did you buy a v6??You know that will never handle what the v8 can with a charger right?And yes the procharger did have all kinds of problems but they are resolved and the procharger is better mainly because of the intercooler but if you get a vortech with an aftercooler its about the same
Old 08-08-2005, 06:06 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

You state the obvious to me on v6 blower vs v8 blower... but thanks for the kick in the a$$.... I bought the v6 because although I liked the 05 mustang just was not ready to get raped at the gas pump and by the dealer. Plus I figured with the technology nowadays I could get great performance when I supercharged the v6( and only **** away gas when running on the gas hard). I am not looking to go head to head against v8's I am only looking to improve the vechicle I own. When racing you got to know your class.... it would be dumb to go against a GT with a blower but hey if he is stock and I am running a v6 then I will be watching him fade in my rear view.........

any useful info on vortec vs procharger is all I am looking for.... could u elborate on some of the problems u have heard with the ATI product? thanks...
Old 08-08-2005, 06:40 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Wasnt trying to boot you ...sorry.The prochargers had alot of problems with them breaking in general but like I said that is long gone.From what I understand the procharger creates alot of heat thou thats why they intercool them but my friend has been running a F1 charger for two years with 20 pounds of boost and has had no problems.IMO the procharger is an uglier blower but does that really matter?,you buy them for performance not looks but the vortech is good looking to me anyways.The vortech is the same as the paxton seeing that vortech owns them so either of those are good as well,it all comes down to what you like because they are all comparable now.The best part of the procharger is the intercooler but the down fall is the oil is self contained so its more of a pain in the *** change the oil.The vortechs are part of your cars oil so when you change your oil you change the blower oil also so keep that in mind to.Thats the one major thing I dont like about it, the hole to fill it is about a 1/4 inch so it sucks to fill up.If your up for changing the blower oil and car oil seperate go for it, if you dont want to be bothered by that get a vortech
Old 08-08-2005, 07:33 PM
cman332001
1st Gear Member

thanks this is all good info - so far leaning towards the ProCharger product still want to learn more about the Vortec from people that have had 1 for a couple of years..... so many times I tell people I wana supercharge a v6 and get a ration of crap (sorry I am a little on the defensive). All I ever want out of my 6banger is 320 - 350 HP not looking to set records in the 1/4. I know that v6 have potential the Buick Grand National is a great example of that.. Just tired of small little 2.0 liters that are cranking 200-220 HP with turbo's - I gotta believe the 4.0 can get to 350hp with blower and tune.....
Old 08-08-2005, 11:43 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i <3 my vortech. gets the job done for me. the vortechs on the 05 GTs put out some MASSIVE power from what i saw. by the time the car's AFR was fixed, they had an 05 GT putting down 460RWHP. when i got there and they just started tuning it, it was at 480RWHP.

i've never had an ati, i have a vortech so that's what i'm going to recommend. get whatever is cheapest. how much power can you possibly squeeze out of the v6 before you start needing more engine work anyway?
Old 08-09-2005, 12:53 AM
maddash
1st Gear Member

I'm no expert in this department and probably more of a doubta$$,but I would say on a stock v6 mustang with just a supercharger and conservative tune I would guess about a 100 HP which would put you somewhere in the neighborhood of a stock 05 gt. I'm sure you could stretch that a little but with no other mods I doubt it. With full exhaust Im sure you could smoke a stock one. Just a guess though and maybe I can get something good started here.

Quick Reply: ATI procharger vs Vortec