Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Streetable superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM
twitchster

Default Streetable superchargers

I'm new to these forums but have been a long time Mustang enthusiast. Well, I can't say I like all of them but I do like most. I had a '65 Mustang that I built the engine and had to sell the car shortly after the engine was put in. Just a brief history about me for you.

Now on to my question. I am looking into getting a 2007 or 2008 GT and was wanting to put a supercharger on it. Now, every engine I have built in the past has been naturally aspirated therefore I have little to no knowledge of what I need to be looking for in a supercharger. Here are the things I'm wanting to be able to get out of a supercharger setup.

1. Very good street driveability (mainly weekend cruising)
2. No modifications to the inernals of the engine (i.e. nothing forged, etc.)
3. Run low to mid 11's in the quarter or faster if possible
4. Something that will not put an excessive amount of strain on the engine,
tranny, or rear end.
5. Something that will last for a pretty good while.

Now the two superchargers I was really looking hard at were the Edelbrock E-Force and the Roush M90, both of which only use 5psi of boost. Any opinions on which would be better suited for my needs is greatly appreciated.

Here is a list of other mods I plan on doing to the car in addition to the supercharger.

1. Pypes violators axleback exhaust
2. SLP Longtube headers with SLP shorty catted x-pipes
3. either a 3.73 or 4.10 gear in the rear end
4. Line lock
5. New cams, either FRPP Hot Rod or Comp Cams Thumpr
6. Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs

With all these mods in addtition to the Edelbrock supercharger I'm estimating about 450rwhp. With the Roush, I'm guessing around 425rwhp. Does that sound about right? I read in another section of the forums that a safe rwhp is about 445 with stock internals. Is that accurate?

Now remember, this car is primarily going to be a weekend driver and taken to the drag strip occasionally but I would like the comfort of knowing that I can go on a long road trip without breaking down.

Please respond. All opinions are very welcome and will be very helpful because, as I stated earlier, I have no experience with superchargers.

P.S. Sorry the post is so long. lol
Old 03-05-2011, 12:27 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Looks like you've done your homework. Based on everything you've said i think you've made a good decision on going with a positive displacement blower. There's also the twin screw blowers (which are much better thant the roots style) like Whipple and Kenne Bell. With that said, you might want to check into running either one of the cams that you mentioned with a blower. I've seen it done, but it might not be such a good choice...don't know for sure. Also, i personally wouldn't go beyond a 3.73 gear at all with these types of blowers.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:05 PM
twitchster

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Looks like you've done your homework. Based on everything you've said i think you've made a good decision on going with a positive displacement blower. There's also the twin screw blowers (which are much better thant the roots style) like Whipple and Kenne Bell. With that said, you might want to check into running either one of the cams that you mentioned with a blower. I've seen it done, but it might not be such a good choice...don't know for sure. Also, i personally wouldn't go beyond a 3.73 gear at all with these types of blowers.
Cool, thanks for the feedback. I did as much research as I could on my own but I knew these forums would be the right place to ask the question. It looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. Now, what do I need to be looking for as far as the cams? I mean, what would make it not a good choice? Is it that they would drastically reduce the lifespan of the engine? The cams look they would be good for low end torque. They are good for around idle up to like 6500 rpm. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't underdstand what you mean when you say that they wouldn't be a good choice. Could you explain please? I can live without them. I basically just wanted them for the awesome lopey idle that they have. lol.

Again, thanks mrtstang for the feedback. Anyone else have anymore suggestions? It looks as though I have the right idea, it just needs some fine tuning.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Those cams you mentioned above are for naturally aspirated motors. They have more overlap, which in turn will cause you to bleed out some of your boost, and not make the power you could otherwise. Don't get me wrong, they will work, but they are not as efficient as a good blower speced grind. If you're going to get a supercharger anyways, you should just get cams specifically for that.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 PM
twitchster

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Those cams you mentioned above are for naturally aspirated motors. They have more overlap, which in turn will cause you to bleed out some of your boost, and not make the power you could otherwise. Don't get me wrong, they will work, but they are not as efficient as a good blower speced grind. If you're going to get a supercharger anyways, you should just get cams specifically for that.
Ok. Thanks again. Yeah, I guess those cams would defeat the purpose in having forced induction. I forgot they even made cams that were designed for blowers. Do you have any suggestions as far as brand or anything? What about keeping those cams but getting a pulley that produces 7 psi of boost to counteract the loss in power from the cam? Then it would really just be like I was still running the 5 psi of boost. Is that correct? I'll look for blower cams but if I can't find one that I like, what do you think of the above idea? I know it is kind of retarded to go throught all that just to keep the sound, but that's why I'm here! To learn. lol.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
nitrobob

Have you checked in to centri??? I just recently had an oil-fed paxton novi2200 installed at brenspeed on my 06 and it drives like stock until it gets to about 2800 rpm then it is a total beast. Put down 411/461rwhp on 91 oct tune, 431/480rwhp on 93 tune. Centri's make big power but if you want a fast stop light to stop light car get a TS. If no forged internals I would go centri as they seem to be easier on the motor due to less torque down low compared to TS. Both styles are gonna definately put a smile on your face and thats what its all about.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

The E-force is 5psi at 2000 rpm on a stock motor fyi
Old 03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
twitchster

Originally Posted by GlassVapor
The E-force is 5psi at 2000 rpm on a stock motor fyi
Ok? Not sure what you're getting at.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Just bringing you up to speed.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by twitchster
Ok. Thanks again. Yeah, I guess those cams would defeat the purpose in having forced induction. I forgot they even made cams that were designed for blowers. Do you have any suggestions as far as brand or anything? What about keeping those cams but getting a pulley that produces 7 psi of boost to counteract the loss in power from the cam? Then it would really just be like I was still running the 5 psi of boost. Is that correct? I'll look for blower cams but if I can't find one that I like, what do you think of the above idea? I know it is kind of retarded to go throught all that just to keep the sound, but that's why I'm here! To learn. lol.
Well what i'm trying to say is that since you'll be doing cams with the blower anyways, why not maximize your setup by running cams for that intended purpose. I mean it just makes sense right? You could run a tad more boost with those n/a cams to even up the difference, but that will put more stress on the motor as well.

I'm not sure who specializes in blower cams for the 3 valve (since i have a 2 valve) but i'm sure Comp Cams would be a good place to start.

Quick Reply: Streetable superchargers