Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Diffrence between S/C and Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Diffrence between S/C and Turbo?

blah blah blah. i really wish people would stop saying turbo lag when comparing the 2. there's little to none if you get the right size turbos. besides, you can also have SUPERCHARGER LAG too if you get a centrifugal type blower.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Ride Of The Month

right, but the SC has parasitic loss due to being belt driven...so it technically uses some of the power that it makes.
Yep for example, the S/C on the Ford GT sucks off 125hp of the power it makes in parasitic loss. If I remember correctly the amount of loss is roughtly 20-40% of the total HP that the S/C adds is lost through parasitic loss. Umm...that doesn't sound right..but you get the picture.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:20 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kartracer55

But you still have some lag.

Another advantage to S/C is that you have a smooth torque band... what I mean is, with a S/C the higher the Rpms, the more air its gunna flow, but with a tubro, you need to wait for it to sool up and THEN you get the power. I dont mean turbo lag, Im talking about chitty performance at lower RPMS where bigger engines opperate. This is why you see alot of turbos on hondas and stuff... the rev higher than big V8 engines.

Another big problem with turbos is the heat. While a s/c make heet, the turbos get a little warm from all that exhaust gas, which in turn will heat up the intake side of things. thats why you need what is called an intercooler (too cool the air). Because of the need for an intercooler and having to rerout exhuast, you need to do alot of plumbing, so it enerally makes things very complicated.

What we posted here is just a basic explanation. There are many different types of superchargers... some that are clutched, some that pump air like a turbo, others that pump air with twow rotating "drums" (the kidn you see in top fuel dragsters)

Jim
The intercooler has nothing to do with the heat it picks up from the exaust. The heat is made by the compression of the air by the turbocharger. When you compress air it heats up, which means you get less air into the engine (because it is less dense). The intercooler cools the air so you can pack more into the engine.

And on your previous post, what does N20 have to do with turbo lag?? Sure, I have heard of people using it to eliminate lag, but that is not the only way. You can run 2 different size turbos, or you can just get the properly sized turbos for your application.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:26 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki
blah blah blah. i really wish people would stop saying turbo lag when comparing the 2. there's little to none if you get the right size turbos. besides, you can also have SUPERCHARGER LAG too if you get a centrifugal type blower.
All too true. [sm=smiley20.gif]
ORIGINAL: Derf00
Yep for example, the S/C on the Ford GT sucks off 125hp of the power it makes in parasitic loss. If I remember correctly the amount of loss is roughtly 20-40% of the total HP that the S/C adds is lost through parasitic loss. Umm...that doesn't sound right..but you get the picture.
They are bad about it. No one understands how much they take. Most people think its 5-10hp.
ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
And on your previous post, what does N20 have to do with turbo lag?? Sure, I have heard of people using it to eliminate lag, but that is not the only way. You can run 2 different size turbos, or you can just get the properly sized turbos for your application.
You can't eliminate turbo lag. You can do alot to make the time smaller, but never fully eliminate it.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:35 PM
sk8erdudex
2nd Gear Member

sure you can what if your turbo is at full boost when your idling? lol jk
Old 08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sk8erdudex
Then you must be running a turbo the size of a quarter?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:24 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

ORIGINAL: sk8erdudex
Then you must be running a turbo the size of a quarter?
he stole the turbo off my lawn mower. and it would be half dollar.

a deisel can't even get full boost at idle. and it has no TB. wide open all the time. you increase rpms by adding more fuel
Old 08-30-2005, 11:12 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: matthockey32
Now that would be a sight.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 PM
matthockey32
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

ORIGINAL: matthockey32
Now that would be a sight.
some of those lumberjack competitions have turboed chainsaws.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 AM
2001 GT
1st Gear Member

Lets put it this way, I've seen plenty of supercharged cars from the factory do all of the work to take off the supercharger unit in favor of a turbo. But never the other way around.

Superchargers are good for ease of use.

You can build boost off the line in a turbo car using brake boosting on auto cars, stutterbox, or other form too so theres really no disadvantage off the line. The top end isn't even close, a big turbo just doesn't want to stop pulling.

Quick Reply: Diffrence between S/C and Turbo?