Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

Nitrous Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM
parrfive

Default Nitrous Install Help

Need help with a nitrous install. Ive got a 347 carbed motor that im installing a NOS wet kit in and my question is about the fuel side. Should I get my fuel from the line coming into the regulator or after its cut down to 7 pounds? Really don’t want to run a second fuel pump. My pump is a Holley blue and Holley regulator.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

It's been long while since I ran a carb set up but assuming your just running a basic kit and won't be spraying more than a 150 shot the blue pump should be fine. you'll want to run a 3/8" feed line up from the pump, then I would split the feed and run pressure requlators/guages on both sides so you can monitor pressure and tune it properly.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

is this a mechanical fuel pump or an electric. sorry i don't know holley blue.

how are you injecting the fuel/nitrous? Are you using a carb plate? If so 7psi should be fine. You'll want to tap before your standard fuel pressure regulator though, otherwise you'll simply starve your motor when you hit the nitrous, which you don't want to do.

If you're running a big shot, then you may want to consider a separate standalone pump/regulator only for the fuel side of the nitrous. Of course how big of a shot that you want to consider doing this depends on if you're running an electric pump or a mechanical pump, since electric pumps naturally pump a lot more fuel than mechanical.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 AM
parrfive

Holley blue is an electric pump that flows 110 and 14 Psi. What i would like to know is witch side of the reg do i get my fuel from? The regulated side thats 7 psi or the non regulated side thats 14 psi. Its not a big shot. Standerd carb plate.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
jojobanks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parrfive
Holley blue is an electric pump that flows 110 and 14 Psi. What i would like to know is witch side of the reg do i get my fuel from? The regulated side thats 7 psi or the non regulated side thats 14 psi. Its not a big shot. Standerd carb plate.
get it from the pump side of your existing regulator. Also many times the jet for the fuel you're using is rated at a certain fuel pressure for a certain shot.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 AM
parrfive

Ok so the 14 psi wont be a problem at the solenoil? Just trying to make sure it wont overwhelm it and it start to leak and cause it to run rich.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Do your research and read the instructions for your kit. Contact the manufacture's tech lines for assistance too. From the Zex carb kit install instructions. "Nitrous fuel system pressure must be set at 6psi, flowing, at the inlet of the fuel solenoid."
Old 02-03-2012, 06:39 AM
parrfive

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Do your research and read the instructions for your kit. Contact the manufacture's tech lines for assistance too. From the Zex carb kit install instructions. "Nitrous fuel system pressure must be set at 6psi, flowing, at the inlet of the fuel solenoid."
You know i dont really need your condescension. I dont have a Zex kit and theres nothing in my instructions that gives me the answer im looking for. Did call NOS and havent heard back yet. I had a v 6 but gave it to my girlfreind after i drove it once.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by parrfive
You know i dont really need your condescension. I dont have a Zex kit and theres nothing in my instructions that gives me the answer im looking for. Did call NOS and havent heard back yet. I had a v 6 but gave it to my girlfreind after i drove it once.
Uh, yea you kinda do. You don't seem to understand what you're doing and need to educate yourself before you blow up and blame the nitrous. You didn't acknowledge my first response so I assume it went over your head. You haven't said which NOS kit or what size shot you plan to run and these details matter. Oh, and NOS tech support might be a little busy answering questions that aren't already in the installation instructions.
5.1.1 Determining Optimum Nitrous/Fuel Jetting
The jetting combinations included in your kit are compromises, intended to provide you with a safe starting point. They are intended to be used with 900 psi nitrous bottle pressure and 5-6 psi flowing fuel pressure.

Since I want to give you a chance at out running your girl with the V6 I'll point out that you should be noting, not ignoring the word "flowing" in that sentence.