Pipes, Boost & Juice Talk about Exhaust, Nitrous, Blowers, Turbos, Superchargers... whatever makes you go faster!

4.0 V6 ProCharger Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nyke
Just chimeing in here.

I see you are having oil issues with your catch can. This is normal in cold months.

I do however see that you are not running any media inside the catch can like steel wool. The oil gunk comes out as a mist and needs something to grab onto, the steel wool or metal that comes in most catch cans is needed so it can grab onto the oil mist.

Additionally I see that your catch can return line plugs in at the filter? If so then it is not really providing the catch can with sufficient vacuum. I would relocate it to the intake tube.

I have built many boosted vehicles, and while nothing is terribly wrong here and everything will work just fine, you can make these minor improvements.
Thanks for your input - appreciate it! I don't have a place on the intake tube for that. The only opening is on the intake manifold which is plugged. Any ideas? I also threw in the media on the first catch can this morning. We'll see how that works out.

Again, thanks.

Last edited by kzonts; 01-02-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

Any PCV system must return before the MAF sensor otherwise unmetered air gets in. You could add one if you felt up to the task. IMO I would but I am comfortable modifying it. You might just be able to get in-line tube from autozone or something that has a nipple on it that you can add before the system.

You could replace the intake tube that goes into the supercharger with something from

http://www.hiprospeed.com/ They have Silicone intake parts and many different turbo/supercharger inlets.

Send them a picture of your intake and see if they have something comparable with a nipple on it for you.

Or if you want a DIY you can pick up This Spectre AutoZone 45 degree elbow and cut it to size. Hell throw on a bigger cone filter while your at it.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nyke
Any PCV system must return before the MAF sensor otherwise unmetered air gets in. You could add one if you felt up to the task. IMO I would but I am comfortable modifying it. You might just be able to get in-line tube from autozone or something that has a nipple on it that you can add before the system.

You could replace the intake tube that goes into the supercharger with something from

http://www.hiprospeed.com/ They have Silicone intake parts and many different turbo/supercharger inlets.

Send them a picture of your intake and see if they have something comparable with a nipple on it for you.

Or if you want a DIY you can pick up This Spectre AutoZone 45 degree elbow and cut it to size. Hell throw on a bigger cone filter while your at it.
Alright - sounds like some good options. THANKS very much!!!

I've already got a larger filter. :-)

What part of Illinois? I'm a software contractor working for Caterpillar in Peoria for the last two years.

Last edited by kzonts; 01-02-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Nyke
1st Gear Member

South West of Chicago, Downers Grove / Woodridge.

I work for the Oil Refinery's in the area (CITGO, MOBILE, EXXON, BP) as a contractor.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I checked the can today after 3 days of driving. It had quite a bit of water - I'd say a bit more than a tablespoon. But there was much less yellow slime, so maybe the media is helping with that. I swapped out the media with a fresh piece and buttoned it back up. I cleaned up the original media with break cleaner and will let it dry for the next swap. The secondary can only had a few drops of water. All in all it takes about 15 minutes to do this, so I guess I can live with it. Now I need to find an inlet tube with a nipple.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:13 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I finally got around to moving the vent line to the inlet tube. I ordered a 3.5" coupling and hacked up my JLT inlet tube which has the nipple. Hopefully this will give me more vacuum to pull the sludge out into the catch cans. Thanks Nyke for your input!

Here's a pic of the JLT inlet tube I hacked up:

Used the skill saw to cut the section I needed. Then cleaned it up a bit:

Here's the final setup. Not very pretty but hopefully highly functional:

Last edited by kzonts; 01-20-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Very nice custom work Kevin.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
Very nice custom work Kevin.
Thanks. It's a bit frustrating that the kit doesn't come this way. Not sure why.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Topless Stang
2nd Gear Member

I might have to do that too. I thought it was weird that the kit had you make your own hole by drilling into the filter...so I might get a new filter and fab up something similar. BTW Kevin, what kind of gauges do you have? I installed mine today and was wondering what your vacuum was. I didn't take it out for a spin after the install, I just sat in it long enough at idle to set up my Interceptor and check out a few readings on it & my boost gauge.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Topless Stang
I might have to do that too. I thought it was weird that the kit had you make your own hole by drilling into the filter...so I might get a new filter and fab up something similar. BTW Kevin, what kind of gauges do you have? I installed mine today and was wondering what your vacuum was. I didn't take it out for a spin after the install, I just sat in it long enough at idle to set up my Interceptor and check out a few readings on it & my boost gauge.
Hey Diallo,

I only have a boost guage. It usually reads ~-20 during normal driving.

Quick Reply: 4.0 V6 ProCharger Project